Loading and unloading

Juddian:

kendon:
Not surprised at lack of hgv drivers in industry if all u wanna do is ■■■■■. :wink:

The irony is missing in this one Obiwan

And I thought Dozy was the biggest idiot on here… how wrong I was.

And there was me thinking you sign a contract look at the t+c then get on with it.
So you have to help unload? What a bloody shame grow a pair your getting paid for it,there’s plenty of people who would love the chance to drive trucks for a living and can’t afford the money to take the test and you get some throwing the dummy coz they actually have to move out the cab and do something jeez.

Unfortunately the attitude of the op is becoming prevalent in our industry, especially in anyone who’s passed a test within the past 5 years (some exceptions obviously). You ask a question, get obvious answers and then get the hump with the older hands who point out said obvious answers :unamused:

My two pennies, you signed a contract agreeing to do this. Now you’re being held to the terms and conditions you accepted. The choice you have is to do it, or leave. Unless you’re being asked to do something illegal or unsafe, you don’t have any other options. I’ve long believed that contracts are only there to serve the employers benefit, hence it is their terms and conditions you have to accept. There’s no wiggle room (unless they’re desperate and you come with a ■■■■ hot reputation). The best jobs I’ve ever had, my current included, have all come without a formal written contract. Assumed terms and conditions always favour the employee

trucken:
If you don’t load and unload, then who does do it?

dock staff,allways was at federal express.

The issue here appears to be that the OP thinks there are some restrictions on what can be required of a driver if his job is described using terms that include the word “trunk” or “trunking”. I don’t think there are any such restrictions. To answer the OP’s specific question - Yes, our “trunkers” (i.e. drivers taking double-deckers from our NDC to local hubs) are required to assist in tipping said trailers at said hubs (and also back at the NDC if there are returns to come off).

OVLOV JAY:
Unfortunately the attitude of the op is becoming prevalent in our industry, especially in anyone who’s passed a test within the past 5 years (some exceptions obviously). You ask a question, get obvious answers and then get the hump with the older hands who point out said obvious answers :unamused:

My two pennies, you signed a contract agreeing to do this. Now you’re being held to the terms and conditions you accepted. The choice you have is to do it, or leave. Unless you’re being asked to do something illegal or unsafe, you don’t have any other options. I’ve long believed that contracts are only there to serve the employers benefit, hence it is their terms and conditions you have to accept. There’s no wiggle room (unless they’re desperate and you come with a [zb] hot reputation). The best jobs I’ve ever had, my current included, have all come without a formal written contract. Assumed terms and conditions always favour the employee

The first paragraph spot on.

This is what comes of chasing about and carving the job up when it has always been job and knock. :bulb: It is also what happens when turkeys vote for xmas and want the speed limits increased. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Over time the trunk has got back earlier and earlier, until someone noticed and decided that they could get away with replacing two or three in the warehouse and get the drivers to do the work instead. Now you’re buggered, it is going to take absolutely ages to slow the job down without anyone noticing what is happening.

Spot on Cav.

Salaried and job and knock here but i still run the job right as if being paid hourly, and that’s how the company wants it too, less damage and issues that way.
But you can’t tell some who race around like their arse is on fire and can’t get it through their thick skulls they’re making rods for their own backs :unamused:

Juddian:
Spot on Cav.

Salaried and job and knock here but i still run the job right as if being paid hourly, and that’s how the company wants it too, less damage and issues that way.
But you can’t tell some who race around like their arse is on fire and can’t get it through their thick skulls they’re making rods for their own backs :unamused:

It can be a bit ( lot ) more complicated than that.Such as having a forged steel contract that says direct trunking job and finish with no involvement of drivers in warehouse duties also backed by past practice.In which the union then make a collective agreement without your knowledge or input or consultation just as the operation changes from mainly direct trunks to a hub system. :open_mouth: :wink:

On that note in the case of direct trunks involving a known journey time combined with a proper job and finish arrangement there’s obviously no point in trying to hang the job out.Because that benefits no one in both messing up the operation from the guvnors’ point of view and just making a shift longer than it needs to be from the driver’s.In just the same way that there’s no point in trying to reduce the warehouse work requirement of a hub system for example by trying to turn a 2 hour journey each way into a 4 hour one. :bulb: The reality is that hub systems,combined with drivers having to work as warehouse operatives,has unavoidably made the trunking sector a far less attractive job option.

The advice to the OP is look for a trunking operation,usually direct depot to depot links and loaded trailer swaps,which involves driving and break time making up most of the overall shift length effectively leaving little if any scope for warehouse duties.Which can also possibly,but rarely,be found within a hub system operation in the case of certain base/hub locations. :bulb:

Edit to add reading the OP’s example again it looks like it’s just a case of warehouse duties being added to driving time to make up the shift time.The obvious answer is to ask questions when taking on the job.IE how long are the trunk runs,is it just trailer swaps or also warehouse work and if there’s a big difference between overall shift time v length of trunks and driving time,why ?.Assuming no decent answer to those questions,like the difference is made up with just waiting time between trailer swaps,then probably walk away. :bulb:

I bet the warehouse staff don’t get to knock off before their contracted 8/12 hour shifts are up, boss will find them some other task to get on with. Why should the drivers get to go home early? Can’t help but think that is the real issue grinding the OP’s gears, he wants to be allowed to dart.

My advice, if you don’t want to do the unloading just spend longer out on the road rather than rushing back. If that gets snuffed out, I really don’t think it’s a big deal for drivers to assist with loading/unloading their wagon.

cav551:
This is what comes of chasing about and carving the job up when it has always been job and knock. :bulb: It is also what happens when turkeys vote for xmas and want the speed limits increased. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Over time the trunk has got back earlier and earlier, until someone noticed and decided that they could get away with replacing two or three in the warehouse and get the drivers to do the work instead. Now you’re buggered, it is going to take absolutely ages to slow the job down without anyone noticing what is happening.

What??
Surely you are not insinuating that many drivers are as thick as mince, and can not see beyond the nose on their face are you? :open_mouth:
Perish the thought.

kendon:
its in the contract but now they want to enforce it new manager etc. Surely it can not be classed as trunking.

Yes it can. Trunking is merely the act of doing the same runs to the same depots, there’s nothing that says you cannot be expected to do other tasks when you are there. I’ve done trunking runs down to London where I’ve had to unload myself with a forklift truck, I’ve done night trunking where I’ve been expected to assist in unloading the decker, I’ve done night trunking for Geopost (Parceline and Interlink and now DPD) where you were expected to load up cages at the depot with a tail lift and unload them at the depot when you got back.

rob22888:
I bet the warehouse staff don’t get to knock off before their contracted 8/12 hour shifts are up, boss will find them some other task to get on with. Why should the drivers get to go home early? Can’t help but think that is the real issue grinding the OP’s gears, he wants to be allowed to dart.

My advice, if you don’t want to do the unloading just spend longer out on the road rather than rushing back. If that gets snuffed out, I really don’t think it’s a big deal for drivers to assist with loading/unloading their wagon.

Warehouse staff don’t get job and finish because they’re not drivers. :unamused: That’s supposed to be one of the incentives/perks of taking on the responsibility of driving a truck. :bulb:

While ‘job’ and finish means do the ‘run’ you’ve been allocated then go home for a set rate of pay.It all then gets very murky when the definition of ‘job’ and finish and that guaranteed shift rate gets turned into what you’ve described.Especially in the case of drivers being seen as a convenient replacement for warehouse staff.

On that note it wasn’t unusual to actually get overtime for still finishing as early or even earlier than the guaranteed hours of a shift because they’d added another ‘job’ ( run ) to that having been allocated and expected.IE full pay for half a shift,or overtime for finishing on time or still even a bit before.The key definition being the meaning of ‘job’ in that case.With any request to get involved with warehouse work being met by laughter either during or at the end of a shift.

IE different/better days when unions had a bleedin clue.But which can at least still be filtered even today as I said on the basis of a few simple questions at the recruitment stage.Like how long is a contracted shift and how long/far are the trunks in question,is there a big difference between the two,is it preferably just trailer/box swaps,is there any warehouse work involved. :bulb: :wink:

The problem being when the employers try to reduce ‘driving’ time/duties and then expect ‘drivers’ to be happy about replacing that with warehouse work.Then they wonder why there’s a so called ‘driver’ shortage. :unamused:

Don’t warbutons do this?

At my place the amount of drivers that don’t like doing a tray collection is funny!
I love it because like aldi and lidi tips its the only time you know what’s going on in the back on fridges!
Sainsbury’s waltham point drivers in the union are against self tipping!

kendon:
its in the contract but now they want to enforce it new manager etc. Surely it can not be classed as trunking.

In your own words its in the contract,just because its never been enforced does not mean it can`t be.
If it was not in your contract then you could class your job as trunking but it is,its something your going to have to get used to,end of, or move on

Wonder how the OP would get on with this?

And any other work as required.

The old catch all phrase.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

El Deano:
Wonder how the OP would get on with this?

And any other work as required.

The old catch all phrase.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

That’s why I prefer no written contract. Assumed terms and conditions would have given the op the right to tell his new manager to go forth and multiply

With the pallet outfit I worked for the night boys were on salary - on return they used to pull into the transit shed, pull their card and leg it.

Not getting the response he wanted