Load values

Any ideas on what may have been your most valuable carried ?
Think mine must have been the Rolls Royce engines for Airbus from Derby to Toulouse, approx £10 mill each I was informed.

26 pallets bound for Iceland, I think the market value was somewhere in the region of £12.80.

I too carried Aircraft engines, albeit back in 2000 to 2004. They were Rolls Royce RB211’s that cost then 16.5 Million US dollars each! Hours expired engines, for spares recovery, also fetched up to £6 million…not bad for scrap eh?
They were the most costly items carried apart from perfume we used to carry from London to Manchester(with following ■■■■■■), some of those loads were valued up to £1.3 a time…for smelly water :slight_smile:

the maoster:
26 pallets bound for Iceland, I think the market value was somewhere in the region of £12.80.

Don’t you mean Aldi ? :slight_smile:

This strange black malt stuff. They call it black gold, worth 5G per 100KG.

Twoninety88:
I too carried Aircraft engines, albeit back in 2000 to 2004. They were Rolls Royce RB211’s that cost then 16.5 Million US dollars each! Hours expired engines, for spares recovery, also fetched up to £6 million…not bad for scrap eh?

raymundo:
Think mine must have been the Rolls Royce engines for Airbus from Derby to Toulouse, approx £10 mill each I was informed.

What sort of trailers did you guys carry these in, how were they secured?

Ive carried an aircraft jet engine before, it was mounted on its own storage/travel frame, so it was just a case of strapping the thing down inside a curtainsider.

Most valuable load carried - Me!

Irreplaceable I am [emoji6]

my old man took the Danish queens crockery collection to Edinburgh once.

my own would possibly be whiskey from the bonded warehouses in Glasgow.

peirre:
Ive carried an aircraft jet engine before, it was mounted on its own storage/travel frame, so it was just a case of strapping the thing down inside a curtainsider.

We used a step frame low loader, Richard Long. Also did the handball Martell brandy run from Sheerness dock to Liverpool for Ralph Hilton of Charlton, standard equipment was a fine mesh tea strainer, piece of muslin and a pop bottle or two. OK if you liked Brandy :slight_smile: which I never :frowning:

Pimpdaddy:
What sort of trailers did you guys carry these in, how were they secured?

Step frame low loader, engines carried on what are called transport frames. If it was an engine change we would deliver the new one, be on site for the changeover and return with the out of hours or duff engine for recycling/repair.

Back in the 80s I picked up a Ming Vase [emoji1020]from Sotherbys in a Transit Van, they just handed it to me, I asked how much it was worth & the fella said about £100,000 [emoji15] (doesn’t sound a lot now, but you could buy about 4 houses for that back then)
I just Gulped & asked for some wrapping/bubble wrap & secured it with the passenger seatbelt, then drove as if I had a New Born Baby on board.
Only stopped sweating when I got back to our depot & handed it over to someone else.

Surely that should have been in a secure crate lying on a bed of straw or summit ? I took a painting to a gallery in Mayfair from Nairn and the consignor wanted it lashed down, about three foot by two foot but only about 9 inches high also up to the vans bulkhead :unamused: Discovered it was definitely not a good idea to pull into the US Embassy gateway in a small white van to ask where the gallery was, it makes the armed guards patrolling outside extremely nervous, I buggered off as nonchalantly as I could but the old heart was racing and I was followed to where I needed to be by a red minibus loaded up with men in black uniforms, I kid you not :open_mouth:

raymundo:
Surely that should have been in a secure crate lying on a bed of straw or summit ? I took a painting to a gallery in Mayfair from Nairn and the consignor wanted it lashed down, about three foot by two foot but only about 9 inches high also up to the vans bulkhead :unamused: Discovered it was definitely not a good idea to pull into the US Embassy gateway in a small white van to ask where the gallery was, it makes the armed guards patrolling outside extremely nervous, I buggered off as nonchalantly as I could but the old heart was racing and I was followed to where I needed to be by a red minibus loaded up with men in black uniforms, I kid you not :open_mouth:

I thought it should have been packed in a box or crate, but no, they just handed it to me !

Talking about armed guards, I got stopped on the M1 near Watford, one night, just after the IRA did Canary Wharf.
Two mini Busses (one in front, one at the back) full of Black Uniformed-Armed with Machine Guns-Police, all pointed at Me, one of 'em said “DON’T MOVE” so I said “OK” without moving my lips [emoji52] then they made me open the back doors, whilst most of them hid behind the mini busses. Apparently the IRA used a Four Wheeler Rigid full with Fertilizer to blow up the tower.

I was tempted to talk in an Irish accent but the Machine Guns put me off a bit. [emoji1]

Twoninety88:
Step frame low loader, engines carried on what are called transport frames. If it was an engine change we would deliver the new one, be on site for the changeover and return with the out of hours or duff engine for recycling/repair.

How many could you carry & how much do they weigh?

About ten years ago I delivered Michael Schumachers Ferrari, from a dealership in the Cotswolds to Heathrow. If I remember correctly it was being used in an t.v. advert for Ferrari/Shell. Other cars were shipped out as well. It was insured for as bloody fortune. I picked up the crate it was being shipped in from Liverpool first.

Collected 3 old racing cars a months ago, a Lotus 72 amongst them. Also loaded parts and tyres with them. I’d guess the collective value was probably in the region of 600-700k

Elvis Presley caddy, last car he drove a day before his death

martinviking:

raymundo:

I thought it should have been packed in a box or crate, but no, they just handed it to me !

Talking about armed guards, I got stopped on the M1 near Watford, one night, just after the IRA did Canary Wharf.
Two mini Busses (one in front, one at the back) full of Black Uniformed-Armed with Machine Guns-Police, all pointed at Me, one of 'em said “DON’T MOVE” so I said “OK” without moving my lips [emoji52] then they made me open the back doors, whilst most of them hid behind the mini busses. Apparently the IRA used a Four Wheeler Rigid full with Fertilizer to blow up the tower.

I was tempted to talk in an Irish accent but the Machine Guns put me off a bit. [emoji1]

Who remembers the police hunt for Barry Prudhoe, the nutter who killed a couple of people around Pickering ? I was at the time living in Scarbro but got a phone call to get mesen back to Kings Lynn asap. By this time the hunt was being centred on Dalby Forest and surrounding area but never thought to much about it but anyway was clogging it between Staxton and Beverly in my old ‘72 Vauxhall Victor FD, went down the hill at Foxholes where there was a police roadblock. A problem I had with that car was the brakes were none to good and I nearly went by it before I could stop but staring into the barrels of about 30,000 guns (it seemed that many but more likely 3) gave me even more power to the brake pedal. To say I was brickin’ it is a misunderstanding, After the car was searched it were recommended that I got the brakes sorted !! OK I will, as I prised my seized fingers off the steering wheel to put her into gear for pulling away.

I drove one of the Stardes show trucks from Wembley to Dover when Take That was on tour a few years ago, the truck i drove had one half of the Robot which i think cost one million pounds so that was half a million load :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: