Load theft from Toddington services S/B M1

Woke up this morning at 4:00 to see I have had about 6 pallets of goods stolen, a big rectangular cut out in the trailer which and 3 others next to me with “peep holes” in the curtains :confused: Rang the police and the scientific unit has been out to check for fingerprints.
Best thing about it is I went into W H Smiths and asked for the manager and told them what happens and his reply was,“■■■■■ me! I don’t think there’s any cameras in the lorry park”!! :imp:
I’ve just been back in and yes it’s correct, they have no cctv in the lorry park, so they’re happy to take £20-£28 off us to use their ■■■■■■■■ facilities but yet they can’t even be bothered to provide even basic cctv cameras :unamused: Oh sorry I forgot they do have cameras, one on the entrance and one on the exit so them tossers can try and take £80 off you if you go 10mins over your 2 hours free parking! :imp:
I went to the garage to find out if they have any cctv and she said no and then told me it happens regular here :open_mouth: :unamused: So they must be aware of load thefts being a regular occurrence but yet don’t want to do anything that may deter them from happening. The police woman who came out said they had one the night before on the same side :confused:
I was awoken around about 12:20-12:30 by the truck shake slightly and a noise like a door shutting but when I checked through both mirrors there was no one around the trailer or no lights on at the back or other vehicle so I thought no more of it, looking back now I can bet it was the pond life getting on their way with a van full of stock :confused: I’ve been in and explained this to them and said you’ll have the vehicle involved on the ANPR Cameras leaving the services but they said I’d have to ring up CP Plus to check as they don’t store the entrance and exit times on their systems.
Whatever happens to the parking attendants who you used to give the money to and they would walk around the lorry park every so often? Oh yeah I forgot they were probably costing too much to keep them on for the job they did! :unamused:

You sound surprised by this?
Every day occurrence across msa’s unfortunately the gits that get away with it aren’t scared as it’s easy pickings :unamused:
The real problem is the industry won’t stand up to the msa’s and get anything done. If lorrys were filling them at night without payment until their claim of secure parking was just that they would have to address the problem.

What was stolen, anything good? I’m only asking because I’m wondering if it’s worth popping into the car boot sale near junction 11 on Sunday as I’m up near there to do a couple of hours work that morning. :smiley: :slight_smile:

why i wouldnt ever pay for parking. your just as safe in a layby.

£20+ for sod all

Having had £700 of almost new mig welder taken recently I reckon that there is something to be said for Sharia law. A nice sharp axe! The one thing they all understand is pain.

OllieNotts:
You sound surprised by this?
Every day occurrence across msa’s unfortunately the gits that get away with it aren’t scared as it’s easy pickings :unamused:
The real problem is the industry won’t stand up to the msa’s and get anything done. If lorrys were filling them at night without payment until their claim of secure parking was just that they would have to address the problem.

I’m not surprised by the theft, I know it’s a regular occurrence. Just surprised that they have ■■■■ all in the way of cctv in the lorry park when there is a cctv camera viewing the car park :confused:

They still employ parking attendants,but as far as I can see,the only job they do is try to stop trucks parking in coach/caravan bays.
I got a ticket at wetherby a few weeks ago.
But, back in the old days before anpr camaras they only stayed long enough to take you’re money 10 pm latest,and they were off.

It realy surprises me that with all the revenue they make for zero outlay (ovbiously once the initial tarmac cost has been met) that they cant employ a guard on £12 ph for 12 hours overnight.
Not using these places is a good idea in principal but with the squeeze on private estates banning overnight parking and redtricted amount of layby spaces then theres little alternative.
The only other option would be to try and shame them publicly but I doubt its something that would be newsworthy to the general public.

cav551:
Having had £700 of almost new mig welder taken recently I reckon that there is something to be said for Sharia law. A nice sharp axe! The one thing they all understand is pain.

Yeah but the other side of it is you’ll have to put up wih your 3 yr old daughter being raped, if the wrong people are in charge.

Perhaps some kind of movement needs to be started where drivers “Get what they pay for”.

If you’ve paid £20 or whatever - then the security is the first thing you should get for that money. What do these people think trucks carry when they are parked up for the night, and electing to cough up hard cash instead of bum it in some layby somewhere?

Last decade we had the “Plain English” campaign. Perhaps for the rest of this decade we could have a “Responsible charging” system brought in… If you can’t provide any kind of useful service - then you’re not allowed to charge for it at all!

With APNR present at the majoirity of MSAs now - It’s highly likely that the effective use of the cameras would actually be able to obtain the registration of the vehicle who’s just been loaded up with stolen goods, and left by the side road with “no entry” on it… Yup, that one needs a camera on it 24/7 especially.
Drive in with a dirty number plate? - How about a VOSA station at EVERY MSA to pull the ones trying to get around the system…
How about some actual arrests when stolen goods are found?

When illegals are found in the back of the truck after all - they’re bloody well quick enough to press the hapless driver for large sums…

A few weeks ago,an Italian driver had £30,000 of welding kit stolen from his trailer while parked over night at Alfreton.
Somercoates ind.est.
He told me he parked there regularly with no problem.
Thieves cut a hole the size of a Nissan Micra.
He was then unable to get a reload until it was repaired.
The Police said Tibshelf had been hit too.
They caught two middle aged lorry robbers.
One had a flash Bmw,his side kick a Mini.
The driver was wired and close to tears.
He never heard nothing.

m1cks:
It realy surprises me that with all the revenue they make for zero outlay (ovbiously once the initial tarmac cost has been met) that they cant employ a guard on £12 ph for 12 hours overnight.
Not using these places is a good idea in principal but with the squeeze on private estates banning overnight parking and redtricted amount of layby spaces then theres little alternative.
The only other option would be to try and shame them publicly but I doubt its something that would be newsworthy to the general public.

It would be if it was their stuff that was getting nicked.

Even if the Anpr or Cctv was working,if the vehicle that is used to haul away the stolen goods,it would have stolen number plates.

If we all think cctv is a good idea get them fitted to the units and cabs of rigids, we have them fitted to all ours with a hard drive in cab, anything happens you just down load and can see who is responsible, a lot of systams about now only down side they dont help with spelling

atlas man:
If we all think cctv is a good idea get them fitted to the units and cabs of rigids, we have them fitted to all ours with a hard drive in cab, anything happens you just down load and can see who is responsible, a lot of systams about now only down side they dont help with spelling

If it is a dashcam, how would that help with seeing what goes on, at the side or rear of the trailer? Also, what is “systams”?

I like the idea of popping into the car boot…one letdown the gang operating on the A14 was from liverpool.
they used a link liner. they’d pull along side of a trailer in the night the driver would park with his cab light on
reading a paper while a gang would slide open the door and help themselves to the load. there was no need to
even stand on the loaded lorry just reach over and grab. i think there was 17 men on the liverpool case.

Driver-Once-More:

atlas man:

If it is a dashcam, how would that help with seeing what goes on, at the side or rear of the trailer? Also, what is “systams”?

It would be like what Brakes have done. CCTV all over the wagon. Over the doors, along the sides and around the cab.

Large hole in the side you say ? :unamused:
It has been known for a 7.5 t /17t curtain sider to park alongside the intended victim , and side load the goodies across, less conspicuous than opening a rear door if in the open, or they just trans ship it by hand rear entry (oooh mrs).
Were the same wagons parked next to you when you woke up and discovered your loss ? just a thought :unamused:
I`d be wary of peep holes too :open_mouth:

In my years on containers we were banned from parking at Toddington & Northampton services due to load thefts, it’s been going on for years, it’s good to see that they have done nothing about it whatsoever. :unamused:

Radar19:

m1cks:

It would be if it was their stuff that was getting nicked.

Trouble is, the only thing they’ll respond to “Being nicked” is when they feel deprived of £20 by someone who’s left without paying…

All those geezers floating around the MSA truck yard seem only concerned with “logging truckers in that are due to be paying”…
It would be nice if we could have all such geezers built like a bricks hit house - which might provide a useful deterrant to anyone “wandering around up and down the trailers”…

What good is “security” if when they catch someone red-handed, they then “run away” because to confront them, is somehow “above their pay grade”?
FFS what’s the point of any kind of guard - if they just walk about, and look the other way when something is going down? :frowning: