Load theft at gunpoint Thurrock services last night

Just spoke to one of our drivers in yard and he was telling me he was awoken at 01:00am by a trucks horn blasting away and then hearing a dog barking. He woke up to be met by old bill and them asking if his side facing cameras work and he told them only when ignition is on.
Turns out the Bulgarian who was parked at the side had woken up to his load of mobile phones being nicked, he’s got out the cab only to be met with a gun pointed to his head and be told to get back in the cab :open_mouth: I wonder if it’s the same mob who had done the truck of 2 pallets of gin in Waltham Abbey last week when I was parked there, if so then it’s no wonder they weren’t disturbed during the theft.
Be very careful out there lads and lasses.

I bet that was frustrating,I know it’s easy to let the goods go and keep your life though , 3 youths tried robbing my dad at Holyhead he heard them and got up ,he dropped the first one and threw his axe at the 2nd he went down the 3 rd escaped as my dad really only has one and a half legs .

Should high value goods be transported in curtain side vehicles,.

biggriffin:

Who said the loads were in curtainsiders?
It sounds like in both cases the thieves knew what the trucks were carrying and went tooled up for the job.

Rentadent:

biggriffin:

Who said the loads were in curtainsiders?
It sounds like in both cases the thieves knew what the trucks were carrying and went tooled up for the job.

The Waltham Abbey one was its on my post “ Waltham Abbey robbing bar stewards” and our driver said this was a curtainsider also

how would it work if you saw something like that happening nearby and fired your own gun at the robbers,just wondering would it be murder?. Guy lives near me has recently bought a revolver but has never fired it so he says he was telling me last winter he thought he was being broken into but it turned out a fallen tree was causing the noise said that made him buy the gun

Curtains or box sides…

Pretty dumb thing to park a load of expensive kit like that outside of any secure parking area.

WH Malcolm used to (and possibly still do) park container loads of whisky in their yards overnight by agreement with other hauliers.

Still, it’s insured and frankly it’s only us that gives a monkeys about the driver.

The insurers and his boss don’t.

corij:
how would it work if you saw something like that happening nearby and fired your own gun at the robbers,just wondering would it be murder?. Guy lives near me has recently bought a revolver but has never fired it so he says he was telling me last winter he thought he was being broken into but it turned out a fallen tree was causing the noise said that made him buy the gun

I would imgine you would be looking at some jail time for shooting at someone, they are robbing your stuff - not threatening life and limb !!

i ask because iv often wondered how "mitigating circumstances "works,in law. Earlier this year in a case of roadrage i was forced to a stop in my van onto the dirt/hard shoulder and then a few seconds passed and i judged the offender was getting from his cab and starting to approach my vehicle.i was correct , i spun my wheels and shot forward and missed mowing him down as he rounded the cab corner by a hairsbreadth. my thought was what if he had a knife or even just his fists and i had to get away.
Or just say [for arguments sake] he drew a gun as he approached me,but id got my own gun in glove box and i drew it and shot him first. its hypothetical but i feel id not wait to see

I think you’ll find most handguns have been illegal for most people in the UK for some time.

Farmer Tony Martin went down for shooting someone who had broken into his house…Martin’s gun was unlicensed.

Weapons are generally illegal, even in self-defence. Tools and equipment that you have to hand are not. Easy Start, fire extinguishers, heavy torches, wheelbraces, lengths of chain, hammers etc are all things that a truck driver could legitimately have to hand.

Don’t be tempted into buying one of those combined torch/tazer things…its prison if you are found with one in the UK.

At the end of the day, it’s safer just to let the scrotes go. The average police constable is paid rather more than the average truck driver, and they get better sick pay.

corij:

A revolver?! Are you in UK? He’d be in serious trouble firing at someone whatever the circumstances since handguns are illegal, and rightly so in my opinion

^^^ Or become a massive baseball fan [emoji23]

GasGas:
I think you’ll find most handguns have been illegal for most people in the UK for some time.

Farmer Tony Martin went down for shooting someone who had broken into his house…Martin’s gun was unlicensed.

Weapons are generally illegal, even in self-defence. Tools and equipment that you have to hand are not. Easy Start, fire extinguishers, heavy torches, wheelbraces, lengths of chain, hammers etc are all things that a truck driver could legitimately have to hand.

Don’t be tempted into buying one of those combined torch/tazer things…its prison if you are found with one in the UK.

At the end of the day, it’s safer just to let the scrotes go. The average police constable is paid rather more than the average truck driver, and they get better sick pay.

Sounds sensible.
Someone breaking into a trailer is not immediate threat to a driver in his cab. Someone trying to break into the cab is different.
As I understand it, we can all defend ourselves against harm, but can’t use force to protect property.
If I were in that situation I would probably keep quiet and phone the police.
But prevention is best. Secure parking is top of the list.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

switchlogic:

corij:

A revolver?! Are you in UK? He’d be in serious trouble firing at someone whatever the circumstances since handguns are illegal, and rightly so in my opinion

Most handguns have been banned since Dunblane 1996 and most high powered rifles and automatic weapons since Hungerford 1987

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look at how much uproar there is when an armed police officer fired his weapon. Months and months of court appearances and explaining himself, possible suspension from duties etc. You would need a very very strong case with evidence to support it to justify using lethal force in the UK. Even if it doesn’t hit the target it’s still classed as that. Defending yourself with reasonable and justifiable force? Yes definitely. Defending yourself with a gun or knife? You’d pretty much have to prove the same was coming your way and your life was in imminent danger to justify it.

independent.ie/irish-news/f … 49708.html

This old guy had the right idea!
There was uproar when he was jailed,but released soon after.

We are not Nightwatchmen for the load so let them have it.
NOT OUR PROBLEM.
Go back to sleep knowing you will wake up alive in the morning!

whiplash:
Farmer 'shot intruder as he limped away after beating' | Independent.ie

This old guy had the right idea!
There was uproar when he was jailed,but released soon after.

“The right idea”?
Shoot a badly hurt man who is retreating away from you? presumably in the back?

I can understand someone having their “blood up” etc, but this guy apparently wandered off to a shed to get more ammo before shooting him dead?

No way am I defending thieves, but FFS, get a sense of proportion about it please.

I must have misread this somewhere…

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

This thread interested me especially as a member of my family works at Thurrock services, strangely she says that no such robbery took place that she or any other member of staff is aware of.
There is absolutely no reports of this happening on the internet or any Essex news media or on Essex police twitter feed, I’m thinking that either the OP or his “mate” who witnessed this is [zb]!

On another forum I’m on a few years ago, a farmer took a few fully legally held shotgun shots to the tyres of his van, that some lovely young man had decided to steal from his yard and drive straight towards his wife, causing her to get seriously injured.
As shotguns tend to, the buckshot spread a bit and some hit the windscreen of the speeding van.

The guy whole stole the van was caught, but claimed the farmer tried to kill him.

The farmer was arrested for attempted murder, had all his weapons seized and went through about 3 years of hell to get his life and guns back.
Thankfully he was quite wealthy and could afford a decent lawyer who managed to realise what a balls up the police made of the whole situation, including tampering with evidence, falsifying document and illegally holding onto properly.

I can only imagine that you’d spend a considerable amount of time bending over for the soap if you fired a handgun for any reason in this country.