load security

i do wonder how some drivers managed to get there licences, coming out of st ives and watched a artic with a flat bed and crane on the back fully loaded with stacks of bricks, the only thing holding this on to the trailer was pure gravity. no a single strap, rope or net in site. if he was to slam the brakes on or swerve he could of easily lost his load or if not worse kill some one with flying bricks, pure lazyness on part of the driver.

Bricks need a net chucked over the top as the top layers on some packs work their free.

Il bite a lot of wagons that carry bricks ect don’t use straps it has been said a lot on here straps don’t work we’ll with brick but they should use a net but if anything did happen a load like that will spill

thats why i thought the driver was just an idiot, the fact he was flying down the road, he would of stood no chance if he had to stop

Saaamon:
Bricks need a net chucked over the top as the top layers on some packs work their free.

montgomerys :open_mouth: just a rope :unamused: easy :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Some of the brick n block lorries have them long corner protectors that cover the whole pack, thats what you need or if its a one off and only have a couple you can turn a brick pallet upside down that strap over that.

Fatboy slimslow:

Saaamon:

montgomerys :open_mouth: just a rope :unamused: easy :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Round the back lol.

I find the worse are the flatbeds with the dumpy bags off sand and a strap over the back to I imagine there’s no chance ever that the other 14 bags in front won’t fall off! Like seriously it takes 2 minutes to throw a strap over them gotta be quicker then shoveling it back in surely?

jediknight:
thats why i thought the driver was just an idiot, the fact he was flying down the road, he would of stood no chance if he had to stop

Knob

All the brickyards we load out of won’t release your delivery notes unless the loads netted, front, back packs strapped then every fourth pack strapped.

i think this one slipt the net lol

Karl86:
I find the worse are the flatbeds with the dumpy bags off sand and a strap over the back to I imagine there’s no chance ever that the other 14 bags in front won’t fall off! Like seriously it takes 2 minutes to throw a strap over them gotta be quicker then shoveling it back in surely?

I’ve done sand and ballast a few times now from the local quarry, and this is how I was told by everybody to do it. It never looked safe to me, so I always went along and strapped every line of bags - obviously it won’t stop the sand coming out if it goes over, but would hopefully stop any of them rolling off the trailer. Got the ■■■■ ripped out of me for doing so, but not to worry!

I also had a load back from Scotland on Wednesday of a trailer full of jumbo bags of potatoes - again, I strapped each pair of bags, as well as across the back. The guy on the farm said - ‘Oh, you’re the first to do that, they usually just put one across the back’. As the bags are 5’ high, and weigh over a ton each, and with a 500 mile trip back through some windy roads, I didn’t want to take any chances.

Am I being too cautious - what do other people on here do?

Gary

Saw a guy loading pallets the other day, 20 high, full load, one strap ate the back and one at the front…

Madguy :smiling_imp:

Karl86:

When I used to do it with a curtainsider we never strapped them at all. No curtain bulges at all so no they don’t move.

maybe he was using the force =]

well someone had to say it :wink:

madguy:
Saw a guy loading pallets the other day, 20 high, full load, one strap ate the back and one at the front…

probably going round the corner safe enough if you drive accordingly :wink:

scaniason:

Karl86:

I’ve done sand and ballast a few times now from the local quarry, and this is how I was told by everybody to do it. It never looked safe to me, so I always went along and strapped every line of bags - obviously it won’t stop the sand coming out if it goes over, but would hopefully stop any of them rolling off the trailer. Got the ■■■■ ripped out of me for doing so, but not to worry!

I also had a load back from Scotland on Wednesday of a trailer full of jumbo bags of potatoes - again, I strapped each pair of bags, as well as across the back. The guy on the farm said - ‘Oh, you’re the first to do that, they usually just put one across the back’. As the bags are 5’ high, and weigh over a ton each, and with a 500 mile trip back through some windy roads, I didn’t want to take any chances.

Am I being too cautious - what do other people on here do?

Gary

Bulk bags dont move but on a flat i’d chuck a rope over each row, when i’ve double stacked them i jump on the bottom bag and shape it for the top one to fit in, some people put a pallet between which in my opinion is dangerous.

madguy:

Pretty common to just strap the back row in curtainsiders.

Anyone remember the brick yard near leeds / bradford somewhere at the top of a hill road had a serious bend at the bottom it was like a 1 in 4 tough going up bloody scary coming down, foot glued to the exhaust brake

sounds like marshalls , it was a drag going up loaded , and a bit bum clenching coming down empty on a damp day

madguy:

I bet he was doing a bank to bank very local
I use to go from tesco crick to a cross the road to nft with 1 on rear and 1 on front

Even if they don’t move or there is very little chance they fall off does it not attract any unwanted attention from our friends at vosa or the boys in blue cause it does look iffy just one strap thrown over the back for that reason alone I’d strap them but have you experienced the old bill just plod on past you without batting an eyelid cause then I could see why you’d just save yourselfs some time.