Load security carrying bales of waste paper

Guys. What are your opinions on load security whilst carrying bales of waste paper? The load is flush to the headboard & there is enough space to throw a ratchet stap over the load to strap it down, just seems that every driver has his/her own interpretation on this.

Over to you.

i just strap the ones at the back…but only if there is enough room for them to fall backwards.

depends what your carrying them on :question:

commonrail:
i just strap the ones at the back…but only if there is enough room for them to fall backwards.

Same.

Most of the time, the last ones are rammed through the back doors though, so not going anywhere. It’s not going to break through the curtains, and if it’s not actually got room to move, then if you tip it over, you’d have tipped it with straps on.

Flatbed, box, curtainsider? What are you in? If the latter I’d put a strap over side to side. Either one across the middle or either side.

There are all sorts of methods but it also depends on the weight and the amount of movement it might do. Are the bales stacked directly to the deck or are they stacked 2 or 3 high, ie up to the roof?

it`ll be a curtain sider,and they normally cram it as full as possible

When I used to go to Shotton ours used to be strapped on every lift or every second lift and crossed on the last two. Saying that a lot of our trailers had come from Ireland so I suppose that was an added precaution because of the ferries.

Thanks for the replies so far, trailer is a 15ft curtainsider and I normally weigh off at around 42 ton.

I used to use a fly sheet, then rope every other hook, and the cross at the rear end.

they will reject you at Kemsley Mill (Sittingbourne) if your load is not strapped by either internal or ratchet straps over every bale.

Trukkertone:
they will reject you at Kemsley Mill (Sittingbourne) if your load is not strapped by either internal or ratchet straps over every bale.

Thanks for that one fella, just seems to me that drivers seem to have their own (differing) opinions on this. I’ll now be asking my gaffer to standardize training on this subject.

kappa saltley mill b/ham will reject it aswell if every stack isnt strapped …or they used to last time i was in there

aylesford newsprint will reject the load if every bale is not strapped :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

so all these paper mills reject if its not strapped…is that rejecting on delivery or they wont let you go till its strapped.

If its on delivery what is the point of rejecting the load, its already travelled to the mill safely, theyre just compounding it by sending you back out on the road again. :unamused:

Strap every row, not because the load or delievery point demand it but because a pro should be able to judge what a load needs restraint wise, and make his own mind up.

Juddian:
Strap every row, not because the load or delievery point demand it but because a pro should be able to judge what a load needs restraint wise, and make his own mind up.

We did, hence it’s not bloody strapped :unamused:

aylesford will reject it and rebook 24hours later. the way we have been told to strap to save climbing wen load to roof is to atatch strap hook to one side of trailer then throw strap across trailer and on to roof then pull strap down with a pole or broom wen loaded

I carry waste paper to europe and if going to france don’t strap (unless the weather is rough, for the ferries) but if going to belgium or holland then I do. I normally load 2 bales across on the floor then one across in the centre. Ive been carrying this stuff for 27 yrs this way but now Ive probably tempted fate by writing this :slight_smile:

i only used to strap the last row on tilts and euroliners and never had a problem but now i strap every one as are loads mostly go to germany and they say every thing must be strapped

It’s a long time since I’ve read as much bollox as the previous posts,no wonder the industry has sunk to the depths it has,by the sound of it some of these “posters” couldn’t load a ■■■■■■■ rifle!!