Load security carrying bales of waste paper

Bewick:
It’s a long time since I’ve read as much bollox as the previous posts,no wonder the industry has sunk to the depths it has,by the sound of it some of these “posters” couldn’t load a [zb] rifle!!

Top picture looks like it’d be over-weight, since when I have a container filled with paper (which that appears to be higher than), I usually weigh out +/- 44t. I know your truck and trailer are lighter, but so were the weight limits.

waynedl:

Bewick:
It’s a long time since I’ve read as much bollox as the previous posts,no wonder the industry has sunk to the depths it has,by the sound of it some of these “posters” couldn’t load a [zb] rifle!!

Top picture looks like it’d be over-weight, since when I have a container filled with paper (which that appears to be higher than), I usually weigh out +/- 44t. I know your truck and trailer are lighter, but so were the weight limits.

'Fraid not “waynedl” the loads were weighed out of the site and into the Mill,24 ton yes! but not overweight,and this is how we secured '000 of loads and never ever had one on the deck!!! Who is suggesting the job’s moved forward ? In the words of Ricky Thomlinson “my arse” Cheers Bewick.

chester1:
aylesford will reject it and rebook 24hours later. the way we have been told to strap to save climbing wen load to roof is to atatch strap hook to one side of trailer then throw strap across trailer and on to roof then pull strap down with a pole or broom wen loaded

I strap them like that when loading from smurfit kappa at blackburn

Bewick:

waynedl:

Bewick:

'Fraid not “waynedl” the loads were weighed out of the site and into the Mill,24 ton yes! but not overweight,and this is how we secured '000 of loads and never ever had one on the deck!!! Who is suggesting the job’s moved forward ? In the words of Ricky Thomlinson “my arse” Cheers Bewick.

Very good, looks like you could ship more back then.

Unless it had room to move in a taut though, still don’t see the point in strapping it?? Sure, if it could move, ie it’s thinner or there’s 1 missing - like 2 on bottom, 1 on top style loading - or if there’s a gap at the back then throw a cross round the back of them, but if they’re wedged in, it’s a lot of work for nothing IMHO.

Different on a flat of course.

I would think the days of carrying baled paper on a flat are long gone! We never reckoned to put waste paper in a Tautliner 1) you couldn’t get a decent weight on and 2)We didn’t want the expensive Tauts damaged.A big net or sheets and ropes on a flat is the only sensible way,well it was 20 years ago !! Cheers Bewick.

Used to load bales of waste paper all the time on euroliners to be shipped out to Holland or Germany etc. A right pain in the arse as every stack had to be strapped and the double stacked ones were sometimes only 10 or 20cm from the roof, the trailers being 4m high and all. Happy days…not!

robinhood_1984:
Used to load bales of waste paper all the time on euroliners to be shipped out to Holland or Germany etc. A right pain in the arse as every stack had to be strapped and the double stacked ones were sometimes only 10 or 20cm from the roof, the trailers being 4m high and all. Happy days…not!

How many times more likely are you to cause injury trying to strap them than them actually falling?

waynedl:

robinhood_1984:

How many times more likely are you to cause injury trying to strap them than them actually falling?

We know that because we actually do the job. Bureaucrats and officials who dont do the job on the other hand…

I’ve done bales of waste TetraPak down to Italy in a tilt, countles container loads of them and we have a job at my place taking waste bales down to Michigan, never once have I strapped any of them…but, for a change I’m not going to go down the ‘be a man’ road, I think they’re bloody lethal, the ones we carry now are 4’ by 4’ and 8’ wide so there’s no sideways movement, but every time I get a load I pull out of the yard and slam on the brakes and every time I feel a bang where at least one of the top ones has fallen over, they should be strapped :wink:

I was doing baled cardboard and bailed waste on ferry trailers for a whole and I used to strap every row.
My reasoning was it might not move enough to lose the load but could move enough to lose one once you opened the curtain.