"Living The Dream"

WTF does this mean?
Scania with a cab bigger than a P series?
A lorry with spotlights?
"A high spec motor and a wage over £6.50/hour?
A new motor of any kind?
An agency driver with a hi viz on all the time and a handsfree glued to their ear?

some people don’t think of driving just as a job, more of a life style. I could say I was living the dream in some sense as I dreamed of driving trucks since I was at primary school and now I have been doing it for 20 yrs, and I still look forward to going to work every Monday morning. I know some will come along and slag me off for saying that, well that’s my choice and I have broad shoulders :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I had livin the dream on the back of my last wagon, I put it there because when I was little I was asked when your older what donyounwant to be and my reply was “a truck driver like my dad” now becoming a truck driver was my dream as a child an I achieved my dream, granted others have different dreams but to me am doing what I have always wanted to do hence why am “livin the dream”

I’m certainly living the dream!

See my username. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Living the dream…Because you have to be asleep to believe it :wink:

Like others have said, it stems from my childhood.

I always wanted to be in the Royal Navy and also a truck driver, and after serving a fair few years in the RN I’m now living my other dream. Each to their own of course but that’s my reason.
I’d much rather do a job I enjoy with mediocre wages, than a job that depresses me with huge wages, but again it’s just my opinion. :sunglasses:

wildfire:
some people don’t think of driving just as a job, more of a life style. I could say I was living the dream in some sense as I dreamed of driving trucks since I was at primary school and now I have been doing it for 20 yrs, and I still look forward to going to work every Monday morning. I know some will come along and slag me off for saying that, well that’s my choice and I have broad shoulders :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Only an idiot would decry your post, I think its great you love your work, is almost as important as a good relationship to wake up with a smile looking forward to the day ahead instead of thinking, oh ■■■■■■.

Diesel-truckin:
Like others have said, it stems from my childhood.

I always wanted to be in the Royal Navy and also a truck driver, and after serving a fair few years in the RN I’m now living my other dream. Each to their own of course but that’s my reason.
I’d much rather do a job I enjoy with mediocre wages, than a job that depresses me with huge wages, but again it’s just my opinion. :sunglasses:

That works both ways, I did a job that I hated but paid well to achieve something that I really wanted. As you say everyone has their own dream and if their dream comes true then what’s wrong with that, good luck to them.

After almost 40 years driving for a living ‘Living the dream’ is far from lorry driving, I wish I had never taken my class 1 all those years back. There’s no ‘Dream’ about living your days in a truck cab. There’s nothing ‘Living the dream’ driving a truck in the USA, it may be nice seeing the country for a while but when the company that employs you doesn’t give you the time to stop and take it all in after a few months you get sick of it.

I started driving in the 60s and I did live my dream, I had some excellent older guys who helped me and showed me the ropes and infact welcomed it when I questioned their ways and then explained to me why my ideas were not always the best, and met some very nice people especially on European work in the 60s and 70s they came from all walks of life such as ex teachers ,doctors, solicitors and accountants who had changed careers which I am sure would not happen much nowadays and I don’t think I would now as the job is so different and too many educated idiots in positions that they are not capable of doing.
cheers Johnnie

A 8 wheel tipper with a pelmet,then u know u have cracked it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

In Motorsport it normally the sarcastic reply you give when somebody asks “How’s it going?” after getting cold wet and knowing you’ve got another long nights work, as the driver still expects to be on the track the next day, even though he’s stuffed the car into the the wall and its come back to the pits in a million pieces. :frowning:

But hey you’re working in Motorsport “Living the Dream” :unamused:

The other standard reply to the question “How’s it Going?” Is

“It’s all [zb] and everyone’s a [zb]” :laughing:

I was a manager in various roles for 24 years before redundancy nudged me into doing what I’d always wanted to do since my uncle took me out in 7.5 aged 8 or 9.

I can honestly say that despite working my backside off, and my daily moans and groans, I am now for the first time in my life, and regular multidropping, my own boss for the first time. I get a suggested start time (ie when the motor will be loaded by) I can do my drops in whatever order I like, provided that if I have any specified delivery windows, I do everything within my power to make them happen. I take my breaks when I want or need to. Phone very rarely goes off.

As long as I bring back an empty wagon, all nice and straight, the boss is happy.

Freely admit that I’m earning less now, about 75% of my former salary, for 50+ hours a week, instead of 35. But I really couldn’t go back to my old job.

Being paid an overnight allowance of somthing around £23.50 whilst being put up in hotels and given free meals makes me feel valued by my Employer I guess.
Yes…as a driver :wink:

Got to edit this post, as my next will be my 1000th post on TNUK without a ban :wink:

Before my current job, I did just think that a work day was just Ssquared Dsquared, I don’t know what living the dream is. But I can tell you what it’s not.

Driving a 10 year old plus truck that is serviced and inspected on a shoestring for 48 weeks a year , knowing that when you return from holiday you’ll find that the cover driver has bent something else that won’t be replaced. Constantly trying to meet unrealistic deadlines made by someone who has never even been in a wagon before. Do you know how soul destroying it is when you hear the question “how wide is your lorry again?” for the millionth time by the same person.

Of course you all do because I think every driver has been in ■■■■ job at one point or another.

As far as I’m concerned living the dream is anything that makes you happy and doesn’t contain any of what I described two paragraphs above.

F-reds

seth 70:
A 8 wheel tipper with a pelmet,then u know u have cracked it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Especially when the body floor is beaten like a ginger stepchild and you’re on topsoil in the rain. :laughing:

We can all live the dream, its finding the job that suits you and your loved ones.

For some that means being away for a week or longer at a time, for me that means going home after every shift, we all have different wants and needs and there’s a job out there to suit each of us.

Pat Hasler:
After almost 40 years driving for a living ‘Living the dream’ is far from lorry driving, I wish I had never taken my class 1 all those years back. There’s no ‘Dream’ about living your days in a truck cab. There’s nothing ‘Living the dream’ driving a truck in the USA, it may be nice seeing the country for a while but when the company that employs you doesn’t give you the time to stop and take it all in after a few months you get sick of it.

Get a job with scnider or werner pat plenty of time for sight seeing when your waiting two days for a reload. Cant beat a weekend in ponca city ok or billings mt

living the dream means enjoying every aspect of you life.

actually enjoying the work part of your life is absolutly priceless,and there aint that many people that can honestly say they do.

i can.

Muckaway:

seth 70:

Especially when the body floor is beaten like a ginger stepchild and you’re on topsoil in the rain. :laughing:

^ this!! Hahaha made my Sunday morning haha