"Living The Dream"

Living the dream for me is driving all week. Home 3 nights a week. Then clacking rust to other rust for ungrateful farmers all weekend.

If I couldn’t weld or drive I’d go mental

seth 70:
A 8 wheel tipper with a pelmet,then u know u have cracked it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Only if it’s a hino

i lik eto think I do … I love driving trucks, even after fifteen years at it. I work about eight hours a night if not less, I get lots of time at home during the day and I do very little of what I would call work when I’m at work. In addition, I earn a reasonable wage. But the important thing is that I like what I do: without that, the rest of it means nothing.

it means they are living the stereotypical dream of a certian society. not so much as following their own dream but that of the people around them. The freedom of the open road, driving a good truck. Meeting new people,going to new places. Seeing places and getting paid for it like driving the coast of Spain, lying in the south of France enjoying the sun, The list goes on but a lot of yous wouldn’t understand.

puntabrava:

wildfire:
some people don’t think of driving just as a job, more of a life style. I could say I was living the dream in some sense as I dreamed of driving trucks since I was at primary school and now I have been doing it for 20 yrs, and I still look forward to going to work every Monday morning. I know some will come along and slag me off for saying that, well that’s my choice and I have broad shoulders :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Only an idiot would decry your post, I think its great you love your work, is almost as important as a good relationship to wake up with a smile looking forward to the day ahead instead of thinking, oh ■■■■■■.

Two of the most correct posts I have ever read,I couldn’t agree more with wildfire. I couldn’t imagine waking up and hating my job,life’s tooooooooo short!

Lorn trakta:
To me those ‘Living the dream’ in the HGV world are the ‘cab happys’ living in their cabs days/weeks on end, being there more for the thrill from driving a wagon than the wage from driving a wagon, those where image comes before income, the pretty wagon and ugly wage brigade, remove those grossly insulting, to anyone with an ounce of self worth pride and dignity, risible sized EU ‘sleeper cabs’ from the transport scene overnight and the ‘living the dream’ brigade would disappear with them overnight, along with the risible wages they’ve influenced.

I sorry I cannot agree with that statement, I am paid a good wage for what I do, and I am look after by possibly the best guy I have ever worked for, been here 9 years now and if I didn’t like it I would of left long ago.
I am cab happy personally I don’t think so, I have had several jobs since leaving school, fully trained and time served mechanic, driven plant, laid tarmac, worked as a line engineer in the print industry among other things, but I enjoy the challenge that is job brings every day, it keeps my mind active not stuck in a mundane 9 to 5 job.
yes there are days when you think why me today!! but I think everyone has that thought at sometime during their working career, I have left, but come back to driving as it is the only thing that makes me truly happy.
As for risible sized sleeper cabs mines pretty good thank, good size bed, nice seating area with a table so I have all the creature comforts I require.
From your post it possibly seems that you are not happy with your lot, if that’s the case maybe this career isn’t for you!! I don’t know never met you, and I can only go on what you have written :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Well I’m yes only 30 and been driving 5 years and over the last say 12 years I have had a lot of crap jobs mainly on agency etc. But I have to say apart from the early starts I’m really happy. Just the otherday I had a friend say I couldn’t do what you do it would bore me to death picking containers up and delivering them and waiting 2hours plus to get tipped. I told him like I do everyone at least I haven’t got a nagging whinging boss looking over my shoulder 9 hours a day everyday. My company rarely ever phones me up they just leave me to get on with it I love it my own freedom and piece and quite to do the job in the time that best suits me. I’m one if them people who prefer to get to a place really early sometimes I’m 2hours early but I always take the gamble I will get tipped early which then benefits me because I get home early. See my own boss in a way no hassle as long as I get there on time I can do what I want. Where is the downer to that

You’re obsession with anyone a but different to you is getting more serious. You seem to start an anti bling/big truck/etc post every couple of days.

wildfire:

Lorn trakta:
To me those ‘Living the dream’ in the HGV world are the ‘cab happys’ living in their cabs days/weeks on end, being there more for the thrill from driving a wagon than the wage from driving a wagon, those where image comes before income, the pretty wagon and ugly wage brigade, remove those grossly insulting, to anyone with an ounce of self worth pride and dignity, risible sized EU ‘sleeper cabs’ from the transport scene overnight and the ‘living the dream’ brigade would disappear with them overnight, along with the risible wages they’ve influenced.

I sorry I cannot agree with that statement, I am paid a good wage for what I do, and I am look after by possibly the best guy I have ever worked for, been here 9 years now and if I didn’t like it I would of left long ago.
I am cab happy personally I don’t think so, I have had several jobs since leaving school, fully trained and time served mechanic, driven plant, laid tarmac, worked as a line engineer in the print industry among other things, but I enjoy the challenge that is job brings every day, it keeps my mind active not stuck in a mundane 9 to 5 job.
yes there are days when you think why me today!! but I think everyone has that thought at sometime during their working career, I have left, but come back to driving as it is the only thing that makes me truly happy.
As for risible sized sleeper cabs mines pretty good thank, good size bed, nice seating area with a table so I have all the creature comforts I require.
From your post it possibly seems that you are not happy with your lot, if that’s the case maybe this career isn’t for you!! I don’t know never met you, and I can only go on what you have written :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I wouldn’t take too much notice of Lorn Mower. They pretty much only post the same thing repeatedly on multiple threads. Heaven forfend you don’t live their narrow view of what constitutes a life worth living.

is Muckaway in denial? every topic is a negative about the job or blinged motors or something.

right we get it you don’t like curtains and spotlights, either you want a bling motor but aren’t allowed or have a serious problem with what other people do!

I have to laugh when people moan about blinging up a company motor too, half them probably stay in rented houses and buy stuff for them!

for the record my lorry does have spotlights top and bottom, fancy chequerplate catwalk, mudflaps at the front and alloy wheels, none of which I paid for, the guy who had the motor before me mustve put them on :laughing:

To me, having always loved travel, “living the dream” has been about the places I’ve seen which I never would have seen were it not for the job, I totted it up once and I think I’d been to 28 different countries in the truck.

I’m only a year or two away from retiring now but if I had my time back again, I couldn’t think of anything else I’d rather do.

Living the dream means your dream. That may be living in a cabin in Scotland, a season ticket to a football club, sailing round the world or driving a truck. Far too many people like to judge others. If more concentrated on their own lives instead if others they may find themselves happier.

You know what they say “A young mans dream is an old man’s nightmare!”

Contraflow:

I don’t see the sense in what you’ve done there.

How is it wrong to have a hobby?