Livestock transport

Is there any livestock lads on here,whats the pay and whats the work involved :question: its very rare you see a shabby cattle truck unless its a farmer with his own runaround truck ,ive allways been animal mad a fancied it ,but im guessing theres a lot more to it than just plodding round in top of the range truck with some cows on board :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

I couldn’t do it mate… It’s bad enough putting up with 1 at home never mind a truck full for 5 days! :wink: :grimacing:

seth 70:
Is there any livestock lads on here,whats the pay and whats the work involved :question: its very rare you see a shabby cattle truck unless its a farmer with his own runaround truck ,ive allways been animal mad a fancied it ,but im guessing theres a lot more to it than just plodding round in top of the range truck with some cows on board :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

I wont tar them all with the same brush but a few I know of run bent as hell. Something has to pay for the fancy V8’s dripping in chrome and lights. Running overweight is not out the ordinary and neither is running over your hours from what ive been told by a few lads on them.

Matt

First thing is can you go into a abbitior without pukeing, because that is where most all livestock lorrys end up…thats the job,you have to be a country type man who has been around animals,farms ,■■■■ and ■■■■,do not forget who cleans the trucks out …you the driver, forget about the posh bit on the front…it is the rear trailer that is important…forget it…Or go to one of the cattle markets about 5 in the morning and stay all day and watch,and watch…you will get your answer…

xfmatt:

seth 70:

I wont tar them all with the same brush but a few I know of run bent as hell. Something has to pay for the fancy V8’s dripping in chrome and lights. Running overweight is not out the ordinary and neither is running over your hours from what ive been told by a few lads on them.

Matt

When you have a look at the rules and regs for this game ,i reckon its ■■■■ easy to run bent a bit and blame it on the wellfare of the animals ,i dont think steven hawkins could get his head round the drivers rules and the ins and out of moving livestock :unamused:

deckboypeggy:
First thing is can you go into a abbitior without pukeing, because that is where most all livestock lorrys end up…thats the job,you have to be a country type man who has been around animals,farms ,[zb] and ■■■■,do not forget who cleans the trucks out …you the driver, forget about the posh bit on the front…it is the rear trailer that is important…forget it…Or go to one of the cattle markets about 5 in the morning and stay all day and watch,and watch…you will get your answer…

Very true you need livestock experience and you need to be use to tight country roads and get use to farmer’s always telling you what to do and cleaning the ■■■■ out of the trailer every week

Christ livestock trucks do stink don’t they :laughing: And I spent a lot of my early years in the country. Saw one a few weeks ago going round a roundabout and I’m sure ■■■■ was leaking out of the side onto the road as it went round…

It’s the mucking out that would put me off. You must get absolutely filthy. What do you wear, a plastic poncho or something, I’m assuming you don’t climb onto the bunk for a break with ■■■■ on your clothes!?

You need to be qualified , and comply with defra rules to move livestock, poultry ,gamebirds etc,depending on what you want to carry, another on a five year roll over expense again!!
I did contemplate doing the courses , as I have worked with livestock for years, but decided not to go ahead with it as it is costing a lot just to keep up with ADR , DCPC etc .
From what I have seen advertised wages are similar to anything else. And of course there are long days hanging about the cattle markets, and as previously mentioned the slaughter houses too. There are travel limit & temperature restrictions, feed & welfare of your load …dead or alive. Cleaning wagon hosing down, disinfecting avoiding contamination, segregation etc etc…

Was parked behind a wagon carrying pigs in a layby near Garstang a few weeks ago. The sound of sheer discomfort and panic coming from the animals in the back made for an entirely unpleasant 10 minutes or so whilst the driver grabbed a brew from the snack van. I just couldn’t do it.

I did it for a short time years ago and enjoyed it.

You have to be a countryman/woman at heart, its hard work, backbreaking wet filthy work cleaning out, its a way of life and like other agricultural work you meet and work with real people, some nice some not so, no warehouse drones found doing this work.

Not for the squeamish but not for the cruel either, you can do your bit to ensure the animals are at least as calm and cared for as possible whilst under your charge.

They run fast tackle cos they have serious days work to get through, certainly not to tempt the glory boys.

rob22888:
Was parked behind a wagon carrying pigs in a layby near Garstang a few weeks ago. The sound of sheer discomfort and panic coming from the animals in the back made for an entirely unpleasant 10 minutes or so whilst the driver grabbed a brew from the snack van. I just couldn’t do it.

Pigs are ALWAYS “squealing” :laughing: … doesn’t always mean they are “unhappy” :wink:

Most reputable animal transporters will only take on people with experience of livestock farming etc.

It’s much easier to teach a cattleman to handle a truck than it is to teach a lorry driver to handle cattle. But you have to be able to handle a truck really well…turn in good journey times without harsh braking/cornering. Also you have to drive down some very narrow roads…some people just can’t cope with this.

From a psychological point of view it’s difficult because the welfare of the animals in your charge is paramount, but you have equally to accept what their eventual fate is going to be.

And, as above, there’s various qualifications and legislation that you have to stay abreast of.

The rates for cattle transport aren’t brilliant, but farmers do tend to pay their bills eventually, which is better than some industry sectors I can think of which are dominated by forwarders/agents etc who make a business out of not paying.

All the posts are 100% true .It is all good trucks now ,when i stated in 1968,it was a flithy good job it was run on ■■■■ and beer,yes beer all markets had a large bar for food and drink and that was where all the deals were done,private sales, and a [DRINK]was given to most who worked within the industry,from the bosses down to the men in the lairiege,drovers,lorry drivers,Adrink was either 2/6d or half a crown, old money in the 1960s that was nice, or they would buy you a pint no matter what time and you would drink it then asif it was normal,well it was normal then, by the time it came to taking the animals out of the markets either to farms for relocation or a abbittor for slaughter you could well have had 4 pints of beer ,and looking forward for some more when you would finish, that would be anytime,if you had Export cattle most went live from sheeness, from the midlands, it would be around midnight -ish, after a 5/6am start…then you were not finished you had to make your bed up inside the box called the luton,where you kept maybe 2 bales of straw, many many times i have slept inside the cattel truck.or curled up on the bonnet in the little old cab,coverd in coats,that was the way it was.as we did not know any differnt,that was how it was done…we used to have leggings like fishermen used ,for when you moved amongest the sheep,and massive boots Hod- naled called skegs,nailed in the soles, and the most important pice of kit was a [ash-plant] a nice sturdy stick,but flexie,and you may say why because you needed it to protect your self,one clout from that,wither loading of off loading and you had to get in with the cattle and it would detur any nasty beast who would like to have a go at you ,there were lots of times you were on your own, sorry to waffle but is true but all the glory off lorry driving now, was only because we had the ■■■■ then, and got it changed…

PS Pigs squeal because they know they are not going on a club med break, they are going to the slaugter house,and wouldnt you if you had a face like that, they see their mates.

can you ■■■■ on grass or straw
and go ooh aar
you can
jobs yours

I used to collect meat at the plant in ashton under lyme for asda ,the noise from the pigs in goods inwoods was horrible,i was told some pigs have heart attacks with fear before they leave the truck ,they are supposed to be very intelligent animals ,more so than dogs :unamused: :cry:

I’m on Poultry livehaul,lots of washing down after every load,but lots of waiting to tip and then wash off = lots of hours=££££ :smiley:

seth 70:
I used to collect meat at the plant in ashton under lyme for asda ,the noise from the pigs in goods inwoods was horrible,i was told some pigs have heart attacks with fear before they leave the truck ,they are supposed to be very intelligent animals ,more so than dogs :unamused: :cry:

a few times parked in spain, i’ve had pig wagons park next to me and the noise from the back turns my stomache sometimes.
sounds like 2 of them are fighting each other too the death at times.
i’m as guilty as most, because i’m a meat eater, but being a pig etc i bet the last journey they make in a wagon isn’t much fun.
i take my hat off too the drivers that can deliver livestock to abbatoir.

rob22888:

Are you surprised, the pigs auntie, uncle, brother and sister were on the griddle plate.

I stood it for all of 3 days.

As a result of what I saw during those days, I now have the urge to smack the ■■■ I worked for, and every livestock driver very hard in their teeth :imp:. And yes, I eat meat, but no, I don’t agree with letting socially inept retards masquerading as lorry drivers loose with a wagon full of animals.