Livestock transport

Deckboypeggy,talking of nasty beasts having a go at you,a cow guarding it’s calf would die to protect it.
They become evil and dangerous.My Mum and i,were charged by a cow,with it’ s head we were tossed around like rag dolls.
They can break your ribs.
Or stamp on you while lying on the ground.
Many dog walkers and farmers have been killed by a Mother cow.
They see the threat to their young.

The beasts certainly know when they are going on the one way trip.I got a bit lost in an abbitoir once and opened a door that led onto the killing floor.Seeing those cows going around on an overhead railway with a huge hook through their necks was not a pretty sight.

this is something that has interested me for a while too however everyone i spoke to said dont do it unless your from that sort of life it can be dangerous
id still like to try one day to see if i could do it imagine a great sense of pride and achievement once you delivered the beasts safely

box man ( clifton27):
this is something that has interested me for a while too however everyone i spoke to said dont do it unless your from that sort of life it can be dangerous
id still like to try one day to see if i could do it imagine a great sense of pride and achievement once you delivered the beasts safely

I come from that sort of life and I still wouldn’t do it if you want to haul livestock become a bus driver :laughing: :laughing:

Recently in Northern Island I came across an overturned livestock trailer (on side) full of cows and stopped to help because frankly no-one with any heart could leave the driver alone with the chaos. Nice bloke driving, he openly admitted he’d taken a left too fast and it had gone over. The carnage was enough to convince me to not ever do that job. 2 dead cows lying under several live cows with broken legs who couldn’t stand up, several cows on side that seemed ok but were stuck, as well as trying to control the freaked out cows that had to come off the trailer to get to the injured cows but of course then pose a massive road safety / public liability risk. Was a complete nightmare that still makes me shudder! I was very glad when a local farmer eventually turned up with three hefty lads and sent one to get another wagon.

But the responsibility of having livestock in the back and what it’s like if it goes wrong is now firmly wedged in brain. Not for me!

Yes Toby1234abc,you are right in what you have said even now as i do walk around the countryside i am well aware of what “cows” are around and if any calfs i keep clear… When we were in the markets we had to take the ear numbers down of the cattle going for export,you had to put your had up inside the cows nose and hold the middle bit while another man read the number, the only way to keep them still and you wouild be in a pen of about 10 at a time,so you had to be fit and shove your self about pushing with your body trying to miss all the ■■■■ andshit going on…another way to move a cow was to twist its tail…if it was down on the floor…and we were only drivers…now you read 90%of the posts of the younger men and you think…drivers…mummys boys…"curtains,flash paint jobs.classic ,stobarts telly show,"the glory boys"shop delivery men…they would not have stood a chance 30years ago…

Ask Dennis for the facts too! :wink:

It depends on where you are in the country for what work you are likely to get. Yes if you are transporting animals and you are going to run over hours, you are allowed to carry on on welfare grounds, but I don’t know of any that do this on purpose.

The reason for seeing all of the flash livestock units around now as a lot of the abbatoirs / meat processors now own the hauliers (Morrisons owning Woodheads for example).

Pay can vary depending on the work and the company you go for, but you have to expect to work hard (no steering wheel attending), it is loading and unloading, washing out, more washing out etc etc. But I’ve heard of £10 - £11 being commonplace.

Don’t know if it has been mentioned on here (got bored reading the posts after about the third one), but as well as your normal DCPC, you need an animal transport CPC (City and Guilds run it from what I remember), then there are two different levels: short distance for under 8 hours, and then long distance for over this. A lot of people I know haven’t bothered with it, but I did as soon as it came in, and now it is being checked more often.