Liverpool

As I,m sure most of us spent a lot of time in the 60’s-70’s in Liverpool, ,just thought some of you might like to look at this site.

http://www.inacityliving.piczo.com/?cr=7

It is a superb nostalgia trip with thousands of photos of Liverpool . Some of you may already know of it but if you didn’t, it’s worth a look. I had some great nights out in the 1970’s and loved the place,still do. You always had to keep your wits about you but that applied to most port cities. Living in Barking at the time, it was one of my first destinations when I started driving in 1970. I loaded 20 tons of natural rubber bales out of Millwall docks to Henry Diapers warehouse, just down from the pier head on the dock road. It’s all gone now. Let us know if you like it. Cheers, Ed.

I fixed the link for you, now it works. dd. :wink:

Christ I had better hide this from ScouseAnnie, or it will
be ferry across the bloody mersey karioke night, and a pan of scouse
for dinner :smiley:

Nice to see nothing has changed he he!

Re.the photo of the canteen,is that where all the dockers went when we turned up for a load of between 800 to a 1000 frozen lambs.Getting any help was not an option.After loading though,suddenly the place was awash with them.Odd. 900x20. :unamused:

Thanks for fixing the link dd. Hopefully more chaps might look at it now . Cheers, ed.

My abiding memory of Liverpool in the late 60s early 70s were the queques of motors waiting to tip on the dock road, in particular the little adolph on his bike riding up and down picking out the loads that our “fellow union brothers” wanted to tip, so they could bog off when they had their quota in and to hell with the other poor blighters. But i’m not bitter (much) :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Went to Liverpool docks once with a full load of sweets and two big boxes of samples for the dockers. Only time in living memory that the bone idle dockers helped me fold my sheets…

I don’t really care if I never go anywhere near the dock road ever again, EVER. Hard graft was not one of Liverpool dockers strong points. They knew all the fiddles, but if you asked them to give you a hand, they looked at you as though you were diseased. :imp:

Liverpool.i remember, putting your sheets on the road, then driving onto them for a good nights sleep, and years after the dockers strikes, they were still protesting outside the docks, i had two trucks in liverpool on monday, i could not find any backloads for them…once the busiest docks in the world, a tradegedy…

HI I used liverpool docks a lot in the late fifties up to 1969 they were the worse docks in the country,hard graft always,what a difference when you tipped at Hull or London.The dockers at Liverpool always wore overcoats summer or winter,i think that was a sign as to how much work they did ,bad old days,thank God they have gone.Cheers Ted.

For those who havent parked up in liverpool in that time, we used to put the sheets on the road, and park the wheels on them, otherwise they would be nicked overnight !

I’ve heard from people who tried that approach to protecting their sheets - only to find them tied down on the trailer the next morning with a note under the wiper blade which said “If we wanted your sheets, we would’ve taken them”.

I believe someone posted it on here a few years ago - I laughed at the time because it really did happen. You were more likely to have your batteries swiped than sheets.

To be honest, i never had any problems with deisel or batterys, i used to load out of lanstar, on the road going into the docks quiet a bit, and it wasnt too great, litherland, i went past a while back and i think its a supermarket now, progress eh!

richmond:
To be honest, i never had any problems with deisel or batterys, i used to load out of lanstar, on the road going into the docks quiet a bit, and it wasnt too great, litherland, i went past a while back and i think its a supermarket now, progress eh!

LTD at Litherland was across the road from Allinsons night club and after it was knocked down the site was regenerated for re-use by some form of microbe treatment to get rid of the contaminents in the ground.

As you say, there’s a Tesco there these days - everything has changed around there. The White House pub (across Church Rd) is now a KFC and Allinsons is now a strange looking apartment block.

marky:

richmond:

LTD at Litherland was across the road from Allinsons night club and after it was knocked down the site was regenerated for re-use by some form of microbe treatment to get rid of the contaminents in the ground.

As you say, there’s a Tesco there these days - everything has changed around there. The White House pub (across Church Rd) is now a KFC and Allinsons is now a strange looking apartment block.

Well the Microbe treatment obviously hasn’t worked then --has it?

toxic gas man:
HI I used liverpool docks a lot in the late fifties up to 1969 they were the worse docks in the country,hard graft always,what a difference when you tipped at Hull or London.The dockers at Liverpool always wore overcoats summer or winter,i think that was a sign as to how much work they did ,bad old days,thank God they have gone.Cheers Ted.

The Liverpool dockers all wore large overcoats to hid the stuff they had pilfered from the loads,I once saw Liverpool docker helping himself to a handfull of mercury,straight into his overcoat pocket!!..they would pinch anything!

Take it easy,and they did!!!,

Rgds

David :laughing:

yep them liverpool dockers were a handull, sorry for the late reply but someone nicked my laptop…i

It is a great site for memories. I went straight to the docks section and I get goosebumps when you see how all those beautiful old buildings have been demolished. I remember the dockers although I wasn’t driving in the bad old days but we could just about guarantee a Seawheel load from the docks after tipping in Prescot or St Helens.

But when you see the pictures of tanks loading at Bibbys and the like, those were my memories and I was driving by that time.

What about the different smells that waffed around the docks i can still smell something like corn ,and also toast.

To sum it up. The best thing that came out of Liverpool (apart from the Beatles) was the East Lancs Road.