Liverpool Beatles and Cavern Club

Been on A Beatles themed bus tour today, if you are a fan it’s highly recommended.
Saw where they lived, saw places like Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, (only stayed there 10 mins,…not forever :smiley:) and landmarks involving the band.

(Incidentally the tour guide was Frankie goes to Hollwood’s Holly Johnsons’ brother. :open_mouth: …(he looked a bit stressed told him to Relax. :laughing: )

The highlight was the included free admission to The Cavern Club,.I wasnt too bothered about going in tbh, but it was fantastic we spent all day in there. :open_mouth:

A young lad called Ambro River was on stage singing Beatles songs and some of his own stuff but the highlight was a guy called Jon Keats, who I believe is a director of the club, he was spot on this guy, a true pro .musician
An old rock band member mate of mine used to say ‘Keep music live man’’ when I used to do a bit of DJ ing,…and by Christ he was right.

Spent a ■■■■ fortune on the bar, but it was a great afternoon,.and well worth it.
Anybody who wants a good UK city break, especially if you are a Beatles fan like me, Liverpool is a good venue…go for it. :bulb:

Last time we came here was to see The Eagles, about 8 years ago, and we didnt spebd much time looking around.

Went in 1983! Did you go inside mendips or forthlin road? Back then you could only drive past (Didnt do it on a bus tour - just my dad with a street map!). I remember when we got to Quarry bank we walked down a pebbled path and my dad said “Go on then - get down and get a mouthful of gravel” :smiley:

JeffA:
Went in 1983! Did you go inside mendips or forthlin road? Back then you could only drive past (Didnt do it on a bus tour - just my dad with a street map!). I remember when we got to Quarry bank we walked down a pebbled path and my dad said “Go on then - get down and get a mouthful of gravel” :smiley:

Nah you couldn’t go inside the houses,.well not included in our tour anyway…
Think John was more middle class than the others judging by the houses and the areas.
The area where Ringo was brought up was particularly grim.

Im in Liverpool too!
Small world isnt it! Just went past that John Lennon house,I didnt know about it…

robroy:

JeffA:

Think John was more middle class than the others judging by the houses and the areas.

Yeah John was well up the ladder. One thing I read in the Lewisohn biog was he could see where his mother got knocked down from his bedroom window. Ringo was on Madryn street in the dingle - I think they were going to knock it down till someone complained.

This is the best thing I’ve seen lately - HD version of Some other guy - I still think this could be the best live Beatles song I’ve ever seen. Love the song and with the enhanced definition you can see John pulls one of his silly faces at the start and Paul busts out laughing.

youtube.com/watch?v=xvqW8Gby1p8

JeffA:

robroy:

JeffA:

Yeah John was well up the ladder. One thing I read in the Lewisohn biog was he could see where his mother got knocked down from his bedroom window. Ringo was on Madryn street in the dingle - I think they were going to knock it down till someone complained.

This is the best thing I’ve seen lately - HD version of Some other guy - I still think this could be the best live Beatles song I’ve ever seen. Love the song and with the enhanced definition you can see John pulls one of his silly faces at the start and Paul busts out laughing.

Thanks mate I’d never seen that.
Yeh they played there 300 times in all.

Cilla Black was the cloakroom attendant, John pointed her out to Brian Epstein and that started her carreer.

You can see that dead keen, wide eyed and hungry look in their eyes and manner,.a direct contrast to the way they were in the 8 hour documentary that I watched (‘Get Back’) where they then knew each other inside out and in some cases totally ■■■■■■ off with each other,.to the point George just got up ■■■■ ed off home and left the band. :smiley:

(You get this with new drivers btw, naive and full of enthusiasm until they see what the job is REALLY like after a few years under their belts. :smiley: )

If you haven’t watched Get Back,.and you are a fan it’s a must btw.
The biggest surprise I got apart from seeing them all get on despite the official line on it ,.was that Paul appeared to be the leader of the band rather than John, as I always thought John was.
Started this thread when I first started watching it in fact.
trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … s#p2803623

Sploom:
Im in Liverpool too!
Small world isnt it! Just went past that John Lennon house,I didnt know about it…

Just you KEEP going past mate. :smiley:

(Only joking btw,.I love you really. :laughing: )

We had a great day out there, I took me old Mum , Missus & sister to visit the Royal Albert Docks & Cavern club area around 5 years ago. Lots of tourists there mid week especially from Japan, We had our pics taken by the John Lennon statue & there was a line of Japanese tourists asking me to take their pics for them against the John Lennon statue. Didn’t do the bus tour though as ran out of time.

robroy:

JeffA:

robroy:

JeffA:

Thanks mate I’d never seen that.
Yeh they played there 300 times in all.

Cilla Black was the cloakroom attendant, John pointed her out to Brian Epstein and that started her carreer.

You can see that dead keen, wide eyed and hungry look in their eyes and manner,.a direct contrast to the way they were in the 8 hour documentary that I watched (‘Get Back’) where they then knew each other inside out and in some cases totally ■■■■■■ off with each other,.to the point George just got up [zb] ed off home and left the band. :smiley:

(You get this with new drivers btw, naive and full of enthusiasm until they see what the job is REALLY like after a few years under their belts. :smiley: )

If you haven’t watched Get Back,.and you are a fan it’s a must btw.
The biggest surprise I got apart from seeing them all get on despite the official line on it ,.was that Paul appeared to be the leader of the band rather than John, as I always thought John was.
Started this thread when I first started watching it in fact.
trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … s#p2803623

Yeah I loved Get back. Paul was at his absolute peak then - I don’t think even John could keep up. John wrote almost all of the Hard days night album but by '69 he was on heroin and Paul was the musical force. Even tho when they’re having that secret discussion in the canteen Paul says “You’ve always been the boss” and John goes “Not always” and Paul says “Yes, always”.

My Mum at the Cavern Club, about four years ago.

^^^^^
Cheers Harry, if we’re providing photo evidence, me and My Mrs in Cavern bar, a great day out. :sunglasses:
Wife looking beautiful,.me looking amazingly like Shrek. :laughing:

My reaction to the bar prices. :smiley:

Oh ■■■■!
Somebody turn em for me,.I ain’t got the technology. :blush: :smiley:

I’ve started summet here eh?. :smiley:
Anybody else got proof of their visit to ‘Beatle sites’ and The Cavern.

robroy:
^^^^^
Cheers Harry, if we’re providing photo evidence, me and My Mrs in Cavern bar, a great day out. :sunglasses:

Oh [zb]!

^^^^^^
Just getting this mate.

robroy:
Oh [zb]!

Not only can I turn photos, I can even get the writing on the posters the right way round. :wink:

Harry Monk:

robroy:
Oh [zb]!

Not only can I turn photos, I can even get the writing on the posters the right way round. :wink:

You’re a genius Harry. :sunglasses:
:laughing:

lancpudn:

robroy:
^^^^^

Oh [zb]!

Gawd Brain ■■■■! I was clearing out some old pics on my picture hosting site & must have deleted yours by accident too. :blush:

Another pic of Mum in Liverpool, this time with the Fab Four. I think she was 84 when this photo was taken and she’d never been to Liverpool. But she is a big fan of the Beatles so it was all very exciting for her.

I like Liverpool a lot, been there a couple of times on the boat. We moor in Salthouse Dock, which is pretty much at the centre, right by the Big Wheel and the Maritime Museum. It was free when I was there, the Canal and River Trust have just introduced a £10 per night mooring charge which we are all moaning about although in fairness £10 a night isn’t a deal breaker for a city centre location.

Also got the Mersey Ferry while I was there and went to see U-534, one of only four surviving U boats in the world.

Harry Monk:
Also got the Mersey Ferry while I was there and went to see U-534, one of only four surviving U boats in the world.

I used to see that U boat about 18 years ago when it stood at the entrance at Birkenhead dock.
It was then cut up in sections and taken to where it is now,.and I went to see it and the exhibition about 8 years ago.
Planned to go back this time, but the exhibition was closed until further notice. :unamused: