Little help regarding cab hygene please

remy:
At my last firm a manager would inspect inside the cab when driver had gone home, he could live like a slob while driving but when he left that tractor at the yard it had better be up to company cleanliness standards in case another driver had to use it. I don’t know about over there but here if they give you another used sleeper tractor they have to install a new mattress if you tell them if your going to sleep in it.

2.8K for a new Mattress in a Scania :open_mouth:

Tude:

remy:
At my last firm a manager would inspect inside the cab when driver had gone home, he could live like a slob while driving but when he left that tractor at the yard it had better be up to company cleanliness standards in case another driver had to use it. I don’t know about over there but here if they give you another used sleeper tractor they have to install a new mattress if you tell them if your going to sleep in it.

2.8K for a new Mattress in a Scania :open_mouth:

Memory foam?
A mattress designed to dip in the middle?
In the “good old days” a mattress with a dip in the middle would be chucked out. Nowadays it costs more to buy one designed to do that.

robroy:
but after that they were selective as to who they put on my allocated truck whenever I was off, and I never needed to do it again.

Well it looks like I’ll have to eat my words on this.
Started back in this morning, opened the door was met with a complete ■■■■ mess, which tbf I could have cleaned up while getting paid, but the line was crossed when the dirty ■■■■■ who was on it had been smoking in ‘‘my’’ truck :smiling_imp:
I went ape ■■■■, chucked the rattle right out, and went and played holy ■■■■.
I was about to go home to wash curtains etc, when they suggested using an ‘‘air freshener bomb’’ :neutral_face:
I’d never seen these but it’s like an aerosol, you put it in cab, set it off and leave it with doors and windows closed for 20 mins, to do it’s job,… and tbf it does work, and it does not just mask the smell only, in fact I can still smell it now 9 hours later, and it is even overpowering the air freshener I have…these things are amazing.
On top of that I got some fabreze type stuff (more expensive than actual Fabreze) for curtains, lining and mats, and the culprit driver was charged for them. :sunglasses: …and he was given a bollocking on phone while I was there (because they refused to give me his no, because of data protection ■■■■■■■■. :imp: )

So when the ‘bomb’ did it’s job, I spent a further two hours washing and cleaning the cab interior…on pay, before I set off.

No doubt the smokers on here will think I’m making summet out of nowt, and question my ■■■■■■■■■. :smiley: …, but I don’t give a ■■■■, it just grinds my gears big style. :smiling_imp:

Instant sack,at my place.
And they DO check.
The positive side of micro management

commonrail:
Instant sack,at my place.
And they DO check.
The positive side of micro management

You know what mate the mood I was in this morning I’d be happy if they had sacked him,… harsh maybe but ■■■■ it. :smiling_imp:
Thing is I ain’t got a problem with smokers in general, I knock around with a few, nor lads who smoke in their own truck.
Problem starts when somebody smokes in my motor (aka my home for most of week)

I know if I smoked I’d be more respectful if driving a non smoker’s motor, but that’s just me.

I appreciate this is an old thread but as a new comer I have a few questions regarding this topic.
If I was to take a tramping job can I ask the company to provide a clean/new mattress or do I have to use the one already in the truck?

I don’t like the thought of sleeping in someone else’s sweaty bed, would buying my own mattress be an option?

Murrayminor:
I appreciate this is an old thread but as a new comer I have a few questions regarding this topic.
If I was to take a tramping job can I ask the company to provide a clean/new mattress or do I have to use the one already in the truck?

I don’t like the thought of sleeping in someone else’s sweaty bed, would buying my own mattress be an option?

Do you ever stay in hotels or rented holiday homes…?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

JAKEY:
the maoster,

Hitting them where it hurts is the best way ,what i use to is go in on the Sunday before the Monday start ,spend as much time as possible ,but then for the next month drip feed my time back !!! oh and moan like hell.

Once came in on the Monday morning after the weekend off to find the security guy had been using my wagon as his bedroom for the weekend !!! i hit the bloody roof big time ,security got swiped ,i was suppose to be on a night out , but my first drop was Leeds and second was Newcastle ,i drove back from Leeds that afternoon and after spending the evening replacing my bedding drove back the next day ,still booked a night out and the following night as i could not get back :open_mouth:

The firm were not amused but they knew i was ragging :laughing: ,they never done it again and the security was long gone .

Hit them where it hurts, go in on your own time and a Sunday and don’t tell them, then claw back the Sunday time hours with a hour here and there over a few weeks
Unbelievably what some people will do unbelievably
Did i really just read that

Murrayminor:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this one is a sad but perfect example of snowflake truckies uk edition.
yes,by all means replace the mattress in your existing truck if your company allows you to do so ( which they wont).
all you will need is the best part of £3000 and away you go.
its not mc donalds,you take what you get or bugger off to a different job.
unless its absolutely crawling then your driving a lorry as a bum on a seat,you can moan all you want but with very few exceptions nobody is going to care in any way whatsoever about whether you kip in the bunk or not.

Many years ago I had months of drivers with varying levels of cleanliness over the weekends, every time I asked who was driving the stock response was ‘er, I don’t know’ then on Monday morning I was greeted with a bottle of Scania cider, so being helpful I loosened the cap, poked my head through the hatch and said the last driver forgot his bottle, I then lobbed it on to the desk where all the planners sat, Scania cider everywhere, it stank and got in every ■■■■ and cranny :smiley: I was then ‘red carpeted’ and told the boss what had been happening, to my surprise he went ballistic with the office bods, it never happend again :smiling_imp:
You wouldn’t live like that at home, why the hell would you think it’s OK to do it a work?

Yes, I must admit, my gaffer stands the motor down when I’m on Holiday, as well as the other 5 in the fleet, because they are all fitted with large cranes and good stand ins are hard to find.
Sapper

Murrayminor:

Has the mattress not got a zip cover mate?
Ask them if they’ll replace that with something.
If they won’t, just hoy it in a bucket of hot soapy water overnight, (the cover, not the mattress :smiley: ) and when all the bed bugs, dry skin, nose contents, and dubious stains have gone (ugh :smiley: ) put it in your washing machine, or better still get your Mrs to knock up a new cover for you.

I’m with you on this btw, I ain’t keen on kipping in somebody else’s crap either.

dieseldog999:

Murrayminor:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
yes,by all means replace the mattress in your existing truck if your company allows you to do so ( which they wont).
unless its absolutely crawling then your driving a lorry as a bum on a seat,you can moan all you want but with very few exceptions nobody is going to care in any way whatsoever about whether you kip in the bunk or not.

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement.
As for me being a snowflake I think you may have misjudged me (never met or even seen me).
Having spent the last 25 years as a police officer, I have spent many many hours in the back of some ■■■■■■ van in the 90odd degree heat in my underwear peeing in a bottle for hours on end not to mention the last 6 years dealing with serious or fatal RTC.
Pulling dead bodies from vehicles or finger searching the motorway embankment for missing body parts or attending post mortems far too many times.
You mistake personal hygiene for snowflakes.

robroy:

Murrayminor:

Has the mattress not got a zip cover mate?
Ask them if they’ll replace that with something.
If they won’t, just hoy it in a bucket of hot soapy water overnight, (the cover, not the mattress :smiley: ) and when all the bed bugs, dry skin, nose contents, and dubious stains have gone (ugh :smiley: ) put it in your washing machine, or better still get your Mrs to knock up a new cover for you.

I’m with you on this btw, I ain’t keen on kipping in somebody else’s crap either.

Cheers for the reply, That was the answer I was looking for.
Much appreciated.

Don’t tell me PC Angus Nairn walks among us?? :open_mouth:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[/quote]
Thanks for your kind words of encouragement.
As for me being a snowflake I think you may have misjudged me (never met or even seen me).
Having spent the last 25 years as a police officer, I have spent many many hours in the back of some [zb] van in the 90odd degree heat in my underwear peeing in a bottle for hours on end not to mention the last 6 years dealing with serious or fatal RTC.
Pulling dead bodies from vehicles or finger searching the motorway embankment for missing body parts or attending post mortems far too many times.
You mistake personal hygiene for snowflakes.
[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
personally ,id have owned up to being a snowflake before id admit to being an ex woodentop.
if i was you id be working for tesco or stobart and not a normal type of employer as with your obvious mindset yu would only be a liability and a burden.

peirre:
Don’t tell me PC Angus Nairn walks among us?? :open_mouth:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
theres no chance of mr nairn walking…surely you need a spine and some backbone for that?

dieseldog999:

Murrayminor:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why does wanting a clean cab make you a snowflake? He’s new so maybe doesn’t know the cost of a new OEM mattress, but there are other options, there are companies who make foam mattress cut to size for a fraction of the cost of the original size, as well as mattress toppers and cover sheets, depending on your budget and how bad the truck is. Personally a far better use of your money than buying a load of bling to put on the cab.

Many threads, including the start of this one are about having to put up with the truck left by some dirty ■■■■■■■ of a driver who was happy sleeping in a cesspit, its no different to staying in a hotel room, most of us would refuse to stay in a hotel room if it smelled of BO or worse and had dirty sheets, OK we wouldn’t expect new mattress, but we’d expect it to be clean, so why not in a truck?

I know I wouldn’t accept a smelly dirty truck, I have a bit of self respect and pride in the job, that includes keeping a truck clean inside and out as well as getting the job done and bringing the truck back without leaving a trail of damage in my wake, so I expect my employers to show me the same respect when allocating me a vehicle.

There are some very angry people on this forum.

Why does wanting a clean cab make you a snowflake? He’s new so maybe doesn’t know the cost of a new OEM mattress, but there are other options, there are companies who make foam mattress cut to size for a fraction of the cost of the original size, as well as mattress toppers and cover sheets, depending on your budget and how bad the truck is. Personally a far better use of your money than buying a load of bling to put on the cab.

Many threads, including the start of this one are about having to put up with the truck left by some dirty [zb] of a driver who was happy sleeping in a cesspit, its no different to staying in a hotel room, most of us would refuse to stay in a hotel room if it smelled of BO or worse and had dirty sheets, OK we wouldn’t expect new mattress, but we’d expect it to be clean, so why not in a truck?

I know I wouldn’t accept a smelly dirty truck, I have a bit of self respect and pride in the job, that includes keeping a truck clean inside and out as well as getting the job done and bringing the truck back without leaving a trail of damage in my wake, so I expect my employers to show me the same respect when allocating me a vehicle.
[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
my reply was not to the o/p but to yet another ex plod thinking about tramping.

most people pay the hotel to stay in them whereas most drivers get paid by the provider of truck bed hence theres a tad of a different aspect there would you not say?
also unless theres the aspect of ,dare i say,the unplanned night out!!! then nobody sleeps on the mattress anyway ,or not since the invention of duvets and sleeping bags.
its a bit of a no brainer, but but wouldnt you think you could just think,( il wait and see the state of the truck,then decide if it needs cleaned or a pishproof cover on the bunk)?