little chains

now and then you see a truck with little pieces of chain hanging in front of the front wheels.
what are these for?

thanx

Flushing the loo…

commonrail:
now and then you see a truck with little pieces of chain hanging in front of the front wheels.
what are these for?

thanx

Nothing useful.

I trust this clarifies matters. :wink:

used to be for anchoring mud flaps when fitted in front of the wheel. (when that was in fashion).

del949:
used to be for anchoring mud flaps when fitted in front of the wheel. (when that was in fashion).

i thought that but when i made a point of looking more closely there was`nt any mudflaps

For deliveries to conflict areas, ie Liverpool, sets off landmines.

44 Tonne Ton:
Flushing the loo…

nice one :laughing:

starfighter:
For deliveries to conflict areas, ie Liverpool, sets off landmines.

another nice one :laughing:

commonrail:
i thought that but when i made a point of looking more closely there was`nt any mudflaps

which just goes to prove that they didn’t work and the mudflaps got ripped off anyway!!

they are for chaining the vehicles down on particularly rough crossings on the Woolwich ferry :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:
they are for chaining the vehicles down on particularly rough crossings on the Woolwich ferry :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

you bad man

commonrail:

shuttlespanker:

you bad man

You will see them mostly on trucks that go offroad onto sites and landfill’s where they sometimes get stuck and the chains are used as QAP’s (quick-attach points) for towing them out :wink:

So that will be quite useful then, considering that the ones i`ve seen are made of plastic, pretty colours too, red/white…green/white.

Well I’m glad thats been clarified!!! I just assumed there was some pensioner somewhere, completely hacked off cos some Knight of the road has driven thru his fence!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

People used to put them on cars (usually at the back) years ago. They are anti-static devices.

Plenty of examples here:

shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40 … Categories

Prevents you getting an electric shock from the door edge or handle from a spark jumping accross as the current earths through you as you put your hand near it. Remember the old kids trick of shuffling your feet along in socks on a nylon carpet then touching the door handle?
Some vehicles are more prone than others to generating static & some people are more prone to feeling it.
My late Mum used to have a Toyota Tercel, if I had my trainers on & drove it I used to get a hell of a belt off it on going to close the door after getting out. Only happenned with that car.

Some appear to be rubber strips, but have a thin strip of metal inside.

As for plastic chains. Hmm, up there with crossed spears, blue lights & chrome naked ladies i guess. :unamused:

Because the driver is a midget(a la Daf Cf) and climbs down them from the bottom step :wink:

Suedehead:
Because the driver is a midget(a la Daf Cf) and climbs down them from the bottom step :wink:

so, that’s why Dazaster has ot them on his XF then :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

seen maninly on tippers. the owner drivers hang their wallets on the chains.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Suedehead:

I’m sure this was brought up before - AFAIK, they are ‘down and dirty’ axle-weight checks. If the chain touches the floor - the axle is overloaded. But I might have made that ■■■■ up :wink: