Litter

Hi All,

First time posting here, I’ve been reading posts for a while. I work in the National Highways litter team, we are looking at ways of improving things and litter is frequently complained about.

I’ve been really impressed with the positive discussions on this forum and as significant users of the roads I am hoping to gain some feedback on an idea I’d like to test.

As your cab is often your home I am wanting to know if an in-cab bin would be useful?

I have a limited supply which are free for you to keep in exchange for your feedback good or bad.

Email your contact details to Litter@highwaysengland.co.uk to get your bin on a first come first served basis.

Cheers mate, good idea.
I’m really ■■■■ (ooooh Mrs :laughing: ) on all this stuff,

I always carry a small bin in my cab, when it gets full.I transfer it into a carrier and put it on the cab step with door closed on it.
When I used to be away for more than a week I had about 3 or 4 bags there ■■■■■■■.

I then take the bag home,.put the bottles,.cans,.and plastic bottles in the appropriate bins.
(And invariably tell off the wife for putting wrong stuff in wrong bins and sort them :blush: )
And burn the rest in ny multi fuel/ log burner.
I’m an epic recycler. :sunglasses: :smiley:
Jeez H I’m getting sadder and sadder with every birthday. :blush: :laughing:

I remember Lymm truckstop having a big campaign on this which was on the local tv news and involved them installing wide mouth bins at the exit to the truckstop. For some reason it didnt work and the bins have now been removed. I don’t know what went wrong there, perhaps someone from Lymm/moto could explain?

I just don’t get it., it’s an irrefutable fact that the likes of the Police, councils and all the other official bodies who ■■■■ in the same pot are obsessed with prioritising on money making excercise over substance,
So if they clamped down on this litter issue, not only are they making money but doing something worthwhile.
Why are they not clamping down hard on offenders?

Instead of (or as well as) speed (sorry, ‘‘safety’’ :unamused: ) cameras, why not install litter cameras in known high litter areas and issue ott heavy fines?
Instead of coppers poncing around in tractor units hunting coffee drinkers in trucks, each of them do a litter run in individual unmarked vans…or even council staff which would be even cheaper.
Litter around this country is out of hand.
The otherwise revenue hungry authorities are missing a trick here.

The fact that they don’t do it goes some way towards refuting your “irrefutable fact” :wink:

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
The fact that they don’t do it goes some way towards refuting your “irrefutable fact” :wink:

Does go anywhere to refuting how thick they are tho’ [emoji39]

Roymondo:

:laughing: Aye right.
The fact that you and your copper mates say they don’t, goes even further to prove my ‘irrefutable fact’. :wink:
In my experience and observations, coppers and most authoritative bodies always plead innocence to accusations that are mostly true…until that is they are caught with their kecks around their ankles, as they invariably are.

But hey.let’s keep things on thread eh?

stu675:

Roymondo:

Does go anywhere to refuting how thick they are tho’ [emoji39]

Yes, I daresay it does.

shullbit:
I remember Lymm truckstop having a big campaign on this which was on the local tv news and involved them installing wide mouth bins at the exit to the truckstop. For some reason it didnt work and the bins have now been removed. I don’t know what went wrong there, perhaps someone from Lymm/moto could explain?

We’re trialling bins of different designs all over the network. At present, there are over 40 on the roads but it certainly isn’t an idea we’ve given up on!

Litterteam i think that’s a very good idea tbh, but I fear that you’re leaning against an open door. Anyone who takes up your offer most certainly bags and disposes of their litter responsibly anyway. It’s the morons who need to be educated and if that fails executed preferably.

I simply hang a carrier bag from my drivers seat armrest and empty it each time I spot a litter bin, having an extra bin in my cab will not alter my behaviour. As Robroy alluded to, the problem needs strict enforcement coupled to punitive fines and maybe then the message will start sinking in.

Anyone who takes up your offer most certainly bags and disposes of their litter responsibly anyway.
It’s the morons who need to be educated

This is the problem like dog crap responsible owners pick it up dirty ■■■■■■■■ don’t bother if you gave out free bags the dirty ■■■■■■■■ would still leave it on the floor.

shullbit:

They stopped it because head the balls kept on running over the bins with the ir trailer wheels

vannin:

shullbit:

They stopped it because head the balls kept on running over the bins with the ir trailer wheels

so i see… truckanddriver.co.uk/latest … -two-days/ :laughing: :laughing:

the maoster:
Litterteam i think that’s a very good idea tbh, but I fear that you’re leaning against an open door. Anyone who takes up your offer most certainly bags and disposes of their litter responsibly anyway. It’s the morons who need to be educated and if that fails executed preferably.

I simply hang a carrier bag from my drivers seat armrest and empty it each time I spot a litter bin, having an extra bin in my cab will not alter my behaviour. As Robroy alluded to, the problem needs strict enforcement coupled to punitive fines and maybe then the message will start sinking in.

You might well be right, but we’re keen to trial different ideas. Like the funnel bins, in cab (or car) bins have been suggested as a possible route we can take as we’re told that people throw rubbish out of their vehicles because they don’t like having a mess/ smell next to them.

It might be that enforcement is the only option for reducing this behaviour but we’re keen to explore all options open to us.

Thoughts welcome, especially if anyone has any different ideas that we could try out!

LitterTeam:

shullbit:

We’re trialling bins of different designs all over the network. At present, there are over 40 on the roads but it certainly isn’t an idea we’ve given up on!

Following on from this, here’s the design of another bin that we were exploring in Kent… Hubbub #DriveDownLitter with Wybone and Vic Reeves | Wybone

I think bin bags would be a better giveaway. Though I don’t know how that might work effectively. What would your strategy be for giving out bins? MSA’s, large firms, laybys?

You can put all the fancy bins you have all over the country but you have to get people to use them. Remember the old public service ads we used to get in the 70’s? There was an anti litter one and I still remember it, can’t the powers that be have a nationwide campaign like that again. We need to restore a bit of pride in our country and we need steep sanctions for people who do litter/fly tip and get caught

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always toss my litter out the cab:

A)When im fuelling up
B)When im finished at a service station, i fine my truck up with the bin and chuck it out you dont even need to get out if you do it properly no excuses at all

Littering is part of Great British culture

shullbit:

vannin:

shullbit:

so i see… truckanddriver.co.uk/latest … -two-days/ :laughing: :laughing:

They had them at Winchester for about…5 mins. Nobody ran over it afaik - it just disappeared one day.

I thought it was a very good idea.