Lines on tacho

Are you required by law to draw lines on your tacho,to show when you started and finished.
Thanks

yes.

draw the line with something like edr 0000(end days rest) and sdr1300 (start days rest.

jon

please brit can you upload a rough drawing of how it should look,as i have never written on mine in the 18 months ive been driving and neither was i informed about it in the driving test.
How should i put this WORKING WEEK onto the chart
O=day off
8-8= shift 8am till 8pm
mon tue wed thu fri sat sun
O O 8-8 8-8 O O O
thanks

jonboy:
yes.

draw the line with something like edr 0000(end days rest) and sdr1300 (start days rest.

jon

Err, actually you’re wrong. Some companies require it but it’s not a legal requirement.

As said above, its not a legal requirment but some companys do have this as their policy. Im a trainee tachograph assistant and just learning the ropes at the mo!!

I’m with Conor on this one. It’s not a legal requirement to draw lines on the front of a tachograph chart showing when you start and finish duty. It is a legal requirement to keep a record of the whole days’ driving and other work/ periods of availability on any day when you drive an EC controlled vehicle.
There is nothing wrong (or right) with drawing lines on the front of the chart, provided, the lines do not obsecure any of the recordings made by the tachograph instrument. You could equally write ‘start duty’ and ‘end duty’ with the appropriate times on the reverse of the chart. Our Continental friends like to leave the chart in overnight, hence showing the daily rest period; bit difficult if your vehicle is double shifted!
Don’t forget to make a manual record on the reverse of the chart for any periods of time when you couldn’t use the tacho to make the record, eg, when driving out from base in a car to collect your truck from the service garage.

found on dot website
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_freight/documents/page/dft_freight_504543-02.hcsp#TopOfPage

FAQ.50) Is it legal to draw lines on the front of the chart to depict the start and end of my working day?

[Section 32-37 of GV262]

The EC rules state that:

“When as a result of being away from the vehicle, a driver is unable to use the equipment fitted to the vehicle, the periods of time….shall be entered on the sheet, either manually, by automatic recording or other means, legibly and without dirtying the sheet”.

In light of this, it is the DfT’s view that it would be permissible for lines to be drawn on the front of the chart to indicate start and end of working day, provided they are clear and do not obliterate other recordings on the chart - which can happen, for example, if a driver presses too hard.

Whilst this is an acceptable practice in the UK, certain other European countries may not share this view - so it would not be advisable to draw lines on a chart during an international journey

32 How are daily rest periods recorded?
When a chart or driver card cannot be left in the vehicle’s tachograph to record a daily rest period, drivers should make manual entries, for example: start DR 18.30, end DR 06.30.

if the dots telling me to do it i ain’t taking any chances with mr vosa who had a bad night last night. every company i have worked for as told me to do it .

jon

jonboy:

FAQ.50) Is it legal to draw lines on the front of the chart to depict the start and end of my working day?

[Section 32-37 of GV262]

The EC rules state that:

“When as a result of being away from the vehicle, a driver is unable to use the equipment fitted to the vehicle, the periods of time….shall be entered on the sheet, either manually, by automatic recording or other means, legibly and without dirtying the sheet”.

In light of this, it is the DfT’s view that it would be permissible for lines to be drawn on the front of the chart to indicate - Start and End of working day, provided they are clear and do not obliterate other recordings on the chart - which can happen, for example, if a driver presses too hard.

Whilst this is an acceptable practice in the UK, certain other European countries may not share this view - so it would not be advisable to draw lines on a chart during an international journey

:smiley: I’m glad you found and put that up Jonboy. Thats exactly what I was told back in 1986 when this Tacho lark first started. Start and End are all thats needed the other side of the line to the work period. :wink:

brit_mark:
Are you required by law to draw lines on your tacho,to show when you started and finished.
Thanks

No, you don’t have to. I never have and have no intention of starting.

If it isn’t broke then don’t fix it :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for the replies.

Then i won’t

As above not legal , only to company regs …
My employers in there t@c’s want you to draw a line on the REAR of tacho EDR ( end daily rest ) SDR ( start daily rest ) SWR (start weekly rest ) followed by two charts with your name on the front and in the comment box , dates and reason i.e rest period and following end of rest period EWR end weekly rest .
On holiday you get one chart relevant to the week(S) you have had off and write on the front name fill in the dates , date holiday started date holiday finished then on the rear in the comments box write holiday period …
If off sick same applies … name date(s) turn over comments box , reason why no graph has been taken …
That is how they like to account for there driver hours …

paul@midway:
My employers in there t@c’s want you to draw a line on the REAR of tacho EDR ( end daily rest ) SDR ( start daily rest ) SWR (start weekly rest ) followed by two charts with your name on the front and in the comment box , dates and reason i.e rest period and following end of rest period EWR end weekly rest .
On holiday you get one chart relevant to the week(S) you have had off and write on the front name fill in the dates , date holiday started date holiday finished then on the rear in the comments box write holiday period …
If off sick same applies … name date(s) turn over comments box , reason why no graph has been taken …

Yes well thats not legal thats your company making it up as they go along. :slight_smile:

It’s not legal,but it ain’t ilegal either.It’s a company thing and is a good way to show the vosa etc when you start/finish shift.And also write on how many hours you have been off from previous shift.here’s an example of the sdr/edr,( start of daily rest and end of daily rest) notice the amount of total rest added next to edr,alway’s put hrs( hours) so they know what it is.

This is one when you have had your weekly rest

DAFMAD:

paul@midway:

Yes well thats not legal thats your company making it up as they go along. :slight_smile:

Covering hours of drivers if vosa comes in and asks questions , vosa does come in due to the weights we have rolling over , not that the trucks are over weight they are weighed out but we do get the occasional rollover ( overspeed on roundabout’s and its all inexpereience with the load ) … makes sense from there point of view, but from my point of view it’s pointless …

most i have pulled is 43980 and its a moving load …
I know that as i always cehck my ticket to see what i,m pulling and drive accordingly … :laughing: is there a halo anywhere :laughing: nah i just dont want to rollover :cry:

:confused: Don’t you do timesheets then Paul ? Some reckon they’re acceptable proof of hours done etc as well as normal Tachos of course. :grimacing:

DAFMAD:
:? Don’t you do timesheets then Paul ? Some reckon they’re acceptable proof of hours done etc as well as normal Tachos of course. :grimacing:

Aswell as them with pre printed times of arrival destination and depart etcetc and a space to fill out your times etc etc …
BUT with very unrealistic times of course :unamused: wouldnt have it any other way :laughing: :laughing:

i.e some palces you get a 40 min change ( what you doing fixing it ) . and some they give 10 min change ( and the trailer is fubared ) defect and run back solo with an IOU one trailer :laughing:

Don.t bother me , as long as i,am at home for 0600 cooking a bacon sandwich . If its later than that i,m an unhappy boy … like the sig , DO THE LEAST FOR THE MOST MONEY :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I f i do more than 9 hours a night its a crap night .least i have done is 6 hours .My wtd average is currently at 42 .4 , whatever the point 4 means

That example of kit kats manual tacho with entries written on the back looks wrong to me, the edr and sdr lines are ok, but the bit where o/t (other work?) has been recorded is wrong, if you look to the left the tacho symbols are there, and you are ment to draw along the corresponding line going around the tacho horizontally, not using a vertical line at the top and marking it down as o/t.
Thats my understanding of it anyway.

Gurner said;

That example of kit kats manual tacho with entries written on the back looks wrong to me, the edr and sdr lines are ok, but the bit where o/t (other work?) has been recorded is wrong, if you look to the left the tacho symbols are there, and you are ment to draw along the corresponding line going around the tacho horizontally, not using a vertical line at the top and marking it down as o/t.

I don’t have a problem with how KitKat has filled in the manual record. To me Kitkat started the shift at 07:30 and performed other word until approx 08:45. Although the Regs require drivers to make a manual record if no tachograph recording instrument is available, they are not specific as to how this record has to be made. You could simply write a list of times and what you were doing. Similarly, if you colour the boxes corresponding to the activity type and time in or draw lines through them it doesn’t matter. At the end of the day you have fulfilled the requirement to keep a record. There is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way cos the Regs don’t detail a way how it should be done.

geebee45:
Gurner said;

I don’t have a problem with how KitKat has filled in the manual record. To me Kitkat started the shift at 07:30 and performed other word until approx 08:45. Although the Regs require drivers to make a manual record if no tachograph recording instrument is available, they are not specific as to how this record has to be made. You could simply write a list of times and what you were doing. Similarly, if you colour the boxes corresponding to the activity type and time in or draw lines through them it doesn’t matter. At the end of the day you have fulfilled the requirement to keep a record. There is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way cos the Regs don’t detail a way how it should be done.

Whether its right or wrong i dont know, but the way ive always been told to fill out a manual entry on a tacho would look something like this …

Can I just mention once again on this subject that if you are venturing over the water into France DO NOT draw lines on the front of the tacho or have any with you that have lines drawn on them as it will cost you a large sum.

I was stopped in a control in France this week and the woman from the French version of VOSA spent 10 or 15 minutes in my cab, some of the time was spent checking my documents and the rest sheltering from the rain. I took the opportunity to ask her a few questions regarding the French way of doing the tacho rules etc. She spoke excellent English and when I enquired about their stance on lines drawn on the front of the disc she told me it would attract a fine of €1500, for each disc. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

She was a very nice woman as she only gave me a warning over missing information on the CMR’s, that otherwise would have left my pocket lighter by €7500. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Five CMR’s each with misiing info and a fine of €1500 for each case. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: