Lift yer legs or pay!

After an entertaining hour which was more like the wheeltappers and shunters club with our road sheriffs namely VOSA, I was directed to my landing legs, “there not fully retracted”, she said smuggly. I gave it one and half turns and that was it. “They have to be all the way up”. I explained that if this is the case I cannot place the handle into the holder and it would swing around. “The mandatory fine is now £10.00 per turn so you had better get it done”. WHATEVER NEXT FFS?. Dirty Suzies perhaps.

skoowif:
After an entertaining hour which was more like the wheeltappers and shunters club with our road sheriffs namely VOSA, I was directed to my landing legs, “there not fully retracted”, she said smuggly. I gave it one and half turns and that was it. “They have to be all the way up”. I explained that if this is the case I cannot place the handle into the holder and it would swing around. “The mandatory fine is now £10.00 per turn so you had better get it done”. WHATEVER NEXT FFS?. Dirty Suzies perhaps.

Incorrectly parked wipers… I jest thee not

skoowif:

More Tosh. If anyone pays anyone, they have had their leg lifted :laughing:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73414&p=944420&hilit=landing+legs#p944420

I’d be letting that go to court if it happened to me.

I was directed to my landing legs, “there not fully retracted”, she said smuggly. I gave it one and half turns and that was it. “They have to be all the way up”. I explained that if this is the case I cannot place the handle into the holder and it would swing around. “The mandatory fine is now £10.00 per turn so you had better get it done”.

The answer is there in your own post! Skoowif

Why didn’t she do you for one and a half turns then? £15 is still enough for the whole Vosa crew to have a free brew or two!
Unless the legs are bent! You should wind them all the way up! :open_mouth:
I will defect a trailer I find with bent legs! :wink:

skoowif:

They’d regret it if they aked me to lift my leg… :laughing:

Although I always wind the legs right up. In my first truck driving job at Nolans if you went into the yard and they weren’t Jimmy Nolan would make VOSA look like a lovely friendly kitten! They lost too many legs on ferry ramps thats why. He was an arse but all my good habits now are from trying to keep Jimmy happy!

dessy:
I was directed to my landing legs, “there not fully retracted”, she said smuggly. I gave it one and half turns and that was it. “They have to be all the way up”. I explained that if this is the case I cannot place the handle into the holder and it would swing around. “The mandatory fine is now £10.00 per turn so you had better get it done”.

Why didn’t she do you for one and a half turns then? £15 is still enough for the whole Vosa crew to have a free brew or two!

why cant you wind the legs up fully and put the handle in the holder ? :question:

glenman:

dessy:

why cant you wind the legs up fully and put the handle in the holder ? :question:

I was trying to work that out… Buggered neutral gear, p’raps? :confused:

Which VOSA cashpoint was this at?

Ken.

dont know lucy,maybe bugger with a neutral brain ? :sunglasses:

Also possible… :stuck_out_tongue:

Ankers.

skoowif:

Surely after one full turn the handle is back to the position it was previously in? Therefore, you could have saved yourself a tenner and argued the toss about the fiver.

Looks like you were lazy and should have been fined for that instead :slight_smile:

I am wondering what VOSA reaction would be to me pulling several trailers in the past, they dont have landing legs, they just have stands welded onto the chassis rails, you pull the pin and drive out, it settles on the stands. Low loaders were classic for this. Other types have been trailers with folding legs, they have two positions, up or down.

The “lady,” really needs to swot up on her manual, and stop talking balloons :laughing:

Purpose of the Guide

1. This Guide is intended primarily for the use of Examiners within VOSA and
    Authorised Constables. However, it is made available more widely so that
    vehicle owners, operators and drivers can become more aware of VOSA’s
    standards.

Its purpose is:

• to provide guidance on the action to take when roadworthiness
    defects are found during vehicle inspections;

• to promote consistency among Examiners :confused:

1. The Guide is not a legal document and
    must not be treated as an interpretation of
    the relevant legislation, which only the
    courts can provide.

(That is a classic VOSA response to anything you ask them, whether by phone, letter or face to face.)

VOSA use various codes and abbreviations throughout the guide;

“I” denotes an immediate prohibition

“D” denotes a delayed prohibition

“IN” denotes advisory defects not considered serious enough to prohibit the vehicle. They are reported on a Vehicle Inspection Notice.

Let us have a look what the VOSA manual says about landing legs.

Lucy:

I know exactly what Lucy means here, but to others. If you pick up an unnacompanied ferry trailer, which come commonly with handles bent or missing, especially in the past few decades. You can wind the legs up with a screwdriver, bolt, or even gloves by turning the crossbar underneath the chassis.

If you do this, make sure you put the gearbox back into NEUTRAL gear as it has been known for the legs to vibrate down again :blush:

The reason truck steps have holes in them is to store various bits of important equipment like bolts, engine valves and T keys :stuck_out_tongue:

Why did you not ask her under what legislation she would be fining you? That question will put an instant stop to her BS. They can’t just write a ticket for anything they fancy, it has to reference the exact regulation you are being done under.

Why do drivers let them get away with this crap and not question it?

This should be in most driver’s bags it seems. :unamused: :unamused:

ky-jelly.jpg

Lucy:

glenman:

dessy:

Bent stowage holder? We had one this week with the holder shaped from a strip of metal that had been bent and you had to leave the handle not fully wound in order to stow it in the clip

dessy:

If it was in low gear it would have been 10 turns - that would have been £100 :unamused:

" However, it is made available more widely so that
vehicle owners, operators and drivers can become more aware of VOSA’s
standard"
No reason why you should not ask the vosa person to see relevant legislation when confronted by fairy stories,just as you can ask plod for a copy of PACE when cautioned–this really upsets them!Very often there is not a copy in the car and they have to send out to HQ for one.(Urban myth–not sure))