Lift yer legs or pay!

Coffeeholic:

Lucy:

glenman:

dessy:
I was directed to my landing legs, “there not fully retracted”, she said smuggly. I gave it one and half turns and that was it. “They have to be all the way up”. I explained that if this is the case I cannot place the handle into the holder and it would swing around. “The mandatory fine is now £10.00 per turn so you had better get it done”.

The answer is there in your own post! Skoowif

Why didn’t she do you for one and a half turns then? £15 is still enough for the whole Vosa crew to have a free brew or two!
Unless the legs are bent! You should wind them all the way up! :open_mouth:
I will defect a trailer I find with bent legs! :wink:

why cant you wind the legs up fully and put the handle in the holder ? :question:

I was trying to work that out… Buggered neutral gear, p’raps? :confused:

Bent stowage holder? We had one this week with the holder shaped from a strip of metal that had been bent and you had to leave the handle not fully wound in order to stow it in the clip

Hmmm, fair point, but surely that’s the point at which cable ties come into their own, as ever? We’ve a few like that, you just cable tie the handle to the legs for the duration. Admittedly it takes a fair few, but needs must and all that. :wink: :grimacing:

Wheel Nut:

Lucy:

I know exactly what Lucy means here, but to others. If you pick up an unnacompanied ferry trailer, which come commonly with handles bent or missing, especially in the past few decades. You can wind the legs up with a screwdriver, bolt, or even gloves by turning the crossbar underneath the chassis.

If you do this, make sure you put the gearbox back into low gear as it has been known for the legs to vibrate down again :blush:

The reason truck steps have holes in them is to store various bits of important equipment like bolts, engine valves and T keys :stuck_out_tongue:

Surely you mean “make sure you put the gearbox back in Neutral gear (between High and Low)”? They still rattle down in Low, it just takes a few more junctions for them to do it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was also thinking of the “Legs wound up but handle facing the wrong way to stow” scenario. If Neutral won’t engage - or disengage, do be strictly accurate - you’d have to wind them down half a turn again to solve the problem. Still doesn’t explain a whole turn and a half in that instance, though. :wink:

Lucy:

Coffeeholic:

Lucy:

glenman:

dessy:
I was directed to my landing legs, “there not fully retracted”, she said smuggly. I gave it one and half turns and that was it. “They have to be all the way up”. I explained that if this is the case I cannot place the handle into the holder and it would swing around. “The mandatory fine is now £10.00 per turn so you had better get it done”.

Why didn’t she do you for one and a half turns then? £15 is still enough for the whole Vosa crew to have a free brew or two!

why cant you wind the legs up fully and put the handle in the holder ? :question:

Bent stowage holder? We had one this week with the holder shaped from a strip of metal that had been bent and you had to leave the handle not fully wound in order to stow it in the clip

Hmmm, fair point, but surely that’s the point at which cable ties come into their own, as ever? We’ve a few like that, you just cable tie the handle to the legs for the duration. Admittedly it takes a fair few, but needs must and all that. :wink: :grimacing:

I just risked the £3.33 and left it not fully home by a third of a turn. :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

Lucy:

Wheel Nut:

Lucy:

I know exactly what Lucy means here, but to others. If you pick up an unnacompanied ferry trailer, which come commonly with handles bent or missing, especially in the past few decades. You can wind the legs up with a screwdriver, bolt, or even gloves by turning the crossbar underneath the chassis.

If you do this, make sure you put the gearbox back into NEUTRAL gear as it has been known for the legs to vibrate down again :blush:

The reason truck steps have holes in them is to store various bits of important equipment like bolts, engine valves and T keys :stuck_out_tongue:

Surely you mean “make sure you put the gearbox back in Neutral gear (between High and Low)”? They still rattle down in Low, it just takes a few more junctions for them to do it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was also thinking of the “Legs wound up but handle facing the wrong way to stow” scenario. If Neutral won’t engage - or disengage, do be strictly accurate - you’d have to wind them down half a turn again to solve the problem. Still doesn’t explain a whole turn and a half in that instance, though. :wink:

Oops. I did. :stuck_out_tongue: I had put it into low gear to wind the legs up with a bent inlet valve :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks Lucy

Lucy:

Coffeeholic:

Lucy:

glenman:

dessy:

cable ties,a rubber bungee or a wee bit of rope, or on some of ours the metal strip can be bent easily to let the handle be secured. few months ago one of our drivers was in a rush and didnt wind the legs up fully and wrecked them coming out of a customers yard with a load on,the damaged leg was replaced but its gearing must be different because it sits lower than the one that didnt get damaged.

£10 per turn! Thats come down by £20 since the last time I was told that story.

Coffeeholic:

Lucy:

Coffeeholic:

Lucy:

glenman:

dessy:

I just risked the £3.33 and left it not fully home by a third of a turn. :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

Presumably you could book it to expenses if it came to it… :grimacing: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

OK I threw in a grenade!!!
The pull in happened at Immingham and although I didnt get fined I still think its pathetic. How many drivers crank up to the top, and how many push into neutural gear . Come off it, my experience is that when you do this the legs often drop, due to vibration and holes in the road,and less face it,when there UP there UP,handle into the holder and job done.

I thought the minimum fixed penalty fine was £30?
I’ve looked at My VOSA Guide to Gaduated fixed penalties and there in no mention of landing legs in the fixed penalty tables the nearest I can get is: Use of a vehicle that involves a danger of injury. and that carries a £60 and an endorsement.

The same goes for not parking wipers, unless it’s under the old forward vision obsruction.

muckles:

It is and is usually the first clue that these type of stories are Bull. Just recently there was another one of these in a thread on here where it was claimed the driver was fined £100, more Bullcrap. VOSA Fixed Penalties are Level 1 - £30, Level 2 - £60, Level 3 - £120 and Level 4 - £200. Someone comes out with a story claiming fines that don’t match one of those amounts they are talking crap, or the VOSA official was.

They have no power to issue any fine based on £10 per… whatever and if VOSA officials are indeed telling drivers this then the drivers need to start calling them <■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■> and not just meekly accepting there nonsense.

Why can’t I ever get stopped by one of these people? :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Coffeeholic:

muckles:

It is and is usually the first clue that these type of stories are Bull. Just recently there was another one of these in a thread on here where it was claimed the driver was fined £100, more Bullcrap. VOSA Fixed Penalties are Level 1 - £30, Level 2 - £60, Level 3 - £120 and Level 4 - £200. Someone comes out with a story claiming fines that don’t match one of those amounts they are talking crap, or the VOSA official was.

They have no power to issue any fine based on £10 per… whatever and if VOSA officials are indeed telling drivers this then the drivers need to start calling them <■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■> and not just meekly accepting there nonsense.

Why can’t I ever get stopped by one of these people? :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

They are usually busy drinking coffee with the tooth fairy, father xmas, honest agents, leprechauns, unicorns, the loch ness monster, M.E.B.P. drivers and generous scotsmen :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

billybigrig:
They are usually busy drinking coffee with the tooth fairy, father xmas, honest agents, leprechauns, unicorns, the loch ness monster, M.E.B.P. drivers and generous scotsmen :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What■■?

There is such a thing?

Ken.

Coffeeholic said—“They have no power to issue any fine based on £10 per… whatever and if VOSA officials are indeed telling drivers this then the drivers need to start calling them <■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■> and not just meekly accepting there nonsense”.

:bulb: :bulb: Why not call them ZB,s and have done with it. :laughing: :laughing:
(Where,s Deisel Dave when yer need him ?) :wink: :wink: Must go. Songs of Praise is on :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Self edited. DD must be out in the garden. :laughing:

you wasnt driving for nedexco at the time was you and a bit of bs rubbed off on you :unamused:

Coffeeholic:

muckles:

It is and is usually the first clue that these type of stories are Bull. Just recently there was another one of these in a thread on here where it was claimed the driver was fined £100, more Bullcrap. :

So what you’re trying to tell me is that some things that others drivers tell me might not always be totally correct. :open_mouth:

Another nail in the coffin of my trust of my fellow man, First Politicians, then the Newspapers and now truck drivers. :cry:

muckles:
So what you’re trying to tell me is that some things that others drivers tell me might not always be totally correct. :open_mouth:

Another nail in the coffin of my trust of my fellow man, First Politicians, then the Newspapers and now truck drivers. :cry:

I know, a lorry driver talking complete and total crap, it’s almost impossible to believe! :wink:

muckles:
I’ve looked at My VOSA Guide to Gaduated fixed penalties and there in no mention of landing legs in the fixed penalty tables

There is in this :-

online.businesslink.gov.uk/Tran … y_0111.pdf

Page 32 :slight_smile:

redboxer850:

muckles:
I’ve looked at My VOSA Guide to Gaduated fixed penalties and there in no mention of landing legs in the fixed penalty tables

There is in this :-

online.businesslink.gov.uk/Tran … y_0111.pdf

Page 32 :slight_smile:

Leg — fitment insecure and danger is caused or likely to be caused

I think you’d be pushing the point for legs to low to be insecure.

i dont understand why people get into bother with the vosa crew , i got a pull the other night M6 northbound and it went fine , i got out of my cab said hello and the checking was done without any problem . three vosa crew , one took my details , one checked the wagon and the woman crew member took my tacho’s and licence and digi card away for checking and i was then sent on my way no bother . i was on the tippers for ten years and got lifted several times and never had more than a warning , just lucky i guess .
i probably should’nt have said that i’ll get bummed now you watch … :unamused:

watch ! no thanks…