Lies, damn lies, and statistics

Are they having a laugh?

A million public sector workers who have had a pay-freeze for two years then a 1% pay rise, another 1% next year (if they’ve still got a job), not to mention us lot who are still on 1990 hourly rates, will, I’m guessing, tend to disagree. And this while the rate of inflation is 4%+.

I’ve answered my own question, haven’t I.

Disraeli had a point.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

it is disingenuous to say public sector workers have had a pay freeze my other half works in the public sector and her pay has gone up every year since the pay freeze was introduced the pay freeze has not stopped their yearly increments and while a 1% pay rise isn’t great it is more than the majority of private sector workers have had, who have also had to take pay cuts. Annoys me when people who have never worked in the private sector start spouting off and sadly that now includes the majority of our politicians and union reps.

200,000 + members of the ARMED FORCES are classified as Public Service Workers and I (just retired after 27 years) can confirm that they are, in Afghanistan at least, still dying for Queen and Country for and extra couple of quid more than they were paid 5/6 years ago.

I’m guessing that after 27 years you will be getting a hefty lumper & a decent pension, far exceeding what a private sector worker would get when his employer decides they’ve finished with them.

Just over 14 (fourteen) years ago I was in construction doing groundworks…Driving/kerbing/tarmac/concrete etc…bloke I worked for payed £6.50 ph…55hr week no overtime…Spoke to a lad this week (22yr old young baby) who,s on for them same job but minimum wage…yeh sure he,ll get some benefits but WTF… :open_mouth:

cargocargocargo:
UK pay rising in real terms, says coalition - BBC News

Are they having a laugh?

Of course they are - at OUR expense!

Until we stop electing people who have never had a job, or have never had to live in the “real” world, it will always be the same. Parliament consists of the largest collection of “benefit scroungers” in the country. When are Channel 4 going to make a documentary about them?? - Never! - 'cos the ruling classes prefer it when we kick ■■■■■ out of each other instead. This thread is barely started and already some half-wit is pitching private sector workers against public sector workers - when are we ever going to learn■■? They really know how to brainwash the plebs. United we stand, divided . . . . they’re laughing all the way to the bank!

Get off your high horse & give your arse a rest. You don’t even get unity on this forum let alone this country. We live in a fractured society watered down by constant immigration that will never join together against anything ever again. Too much of a me me me & I’m alright jack mentality I’m afraid.

sonofjamie:

cargocargocargo:
UK pay rising in real terms, says coalition - BBC News

Are they having a laugh?

Of course they are - at OUR expense!

Until we stop electing people who have never had a job, or have never had to live in the “real” world, it will always be the same. Parliament consists of the largest collection of “benefit scroungers” in the country. When are Channel 4 going to make a documentary about them?? - Never! - 'cos the ruling classes prefer it when we kick [zb] out of each other instead. This thread is barely started and already some half-wit is pitching private sector workers against public sector workers - when are we ever going to learn■■? They really know how to brainwash the plebs. United we stand, divided . . . . they’re laughing all the way to the bank!

Oh so true, figure manipulation is the name of the game, not one of these tossers have lived in the real world - our world that is.
Another thing that ■■■■■■ me off is this HS2, how on earth will that promote anything other than luxury travel for those that can afford it? The completed cost they reckon now will hit 80 BILLION! Branson says that by the time this is completed his trains will already be faster and that using the HS2 will only save 12 minutes Birmingham to London, surely to god there is something wrong here … or is it just me, I didn’t vote these idiots in, in fact no one did … did they? I had enough of tories when Thatcher was in, they screwed this country into the ground and its been there ever since.

Sonofjamie is right, though. So far, we’ve had “public sector vs. private sector” and “Brits (whatever they are) vs. immigrants”. Don’t let rich people tell you who your enemies are.

whenever and wherever there`s large-scale, obscenely expensive construction/civil engineering projects (e.g. chunnel, dome, olympics & now HS2), the good old boys in their old public school ties will inevitably congregate en mass for a “snouts in the trough” frenzy.

winning “tenders” more often than not double or treble within 12mths, but remain firmly in the hands of the favoured contractors.
we know the score, but can only watch as the circus does it`s thing, and such golden opportunities for untraceable, high-level embezzlement are never squandered!

As for the “real terms” increase in wages, well…their lips are moving, they`re dyed-in-the-wool blatant liars, and I know that I felt much better off in “real terms” 20yrs ago.

It aint gonna get better and its here to stay.

That’s why we had strong unions until the working classes started to believe all the CBI bs that inflation is wage led not price led etc etc etc and the answer was to remove the strength of the so called ‘greedy’ unions.The rest is history and maybe the working class has ended up with what it deserves for forgetting it’s roots and where it came from.

Yes and the last labour government, that’s the ones that support us workers, really helped get us back on the right track didn’t they.

A Labour government just means trading a CBI supporting Tory administration for a so called Labour one and it’s nothing new since at least Wilson’s and Callaghan’s administrations.Hence the so called ‘winter of discontent’.

brados:
Another thing that ■■■■■■ me off is this HS2, how on earth will that promote anything other than luxury travel for those that can afford it? The completed cost they reckon now will hit 80 BILLION! Branson says that by the time this is completed his trains will already be faster and that using the HS2 will only save 12 minutes Birmingham to London, surely to god there is something wrong here…

I agree with you that the Conservatives want banishing to the end of the earth for ever more, but Branson is hardly likely to give an unbiased view on HS2 is he? Virgin Trains have form for spitting the dummy out when they don’t get exactly what they want, as they showed when they ‘lost’ their franchise to First a little while ago.

It can be no coincidence that Germany and Japan have reasonably extensive high speed train lines and are economic powerhouses, the Chinese are also building 200+ mph railways as fast as they can, the Russians have started and a couple of others in the Far East are pushing on. The high speed trains in France didn’t seem to do their economy much harm.

But because Britain is full of whiners who just want an excuse to object to something/anything, it miraculously won’t work here.

On a related topic I am sure HS2 will keep the tipper merchants busy for some years.

Slackbladder:
I’m guessing that after 27 years you will be getting a hefty lumper & a decent pension, far exceeding what a private sector worker would get when his employer decides they’ve finished with them.

You certainly are guessing.

The private sector hates the scroungers in the public sector until the ‘infrastructure projects or olympic games’ comes to town then they are all there with their noses in the public sector trough! The public sector funds all this but only private sector companies benefit and if it looks like they might lose money they do one rapidly. We even have to subsidise working people too!

But if you want to go and face down those nasty people around the world who are threatening our way of life, I’ll wager that when you’re staring down the barrel of their gun you’ll have more than a ‘slackbladder’!

I for one don’t begrudge whatever small benefit they get for what they risk on a daily basis. :wink:

And as for the lies and ■■■■ lies, there is an election next year so you have the opportunity to ditch them and change the way things are done. Just vote carefully or as sure as eggs is eggs you’ll get more of the same!

But then thats what the majority seem to want. Next you will be seeing a line such as ‘vote for me for a chance of receiving an Apple iPad’!

Enjoy the crap they are going to serve up over the next twelve months.

fredthered:

Slackbladder:

But if you want to go and face down those nasty people around the world who are threatening our way of life, I’ll wager that when you’re staring down the barrel of their gun you’ll have more than a ‘slackbladder’!

I for one don’t begrudge whatever small benefit they get for what they risk on a daily basis. :wink:

It wasn’t really a guess, I got out in 99 after 20 years army service, he would be well remunerated for his service.

mazzer:
it is disingenuous to say public sector workers have had a pay freeze my other half works in the public sector and her pay has gone up every year since the pay freeze was introduced the pay freeze has not stopped their yearly increments and while a 1% pay rise isn’t great it is more than the majority of private sector workers have had, who have also had to take pay cuts. Annoys me when people who have never worked in the private sector start spouting off and sadly that now includes the majority of our politicians and union reps.

I work for the local council at present (I started in April last year),how ever I have had to listen to how they have not had a pay rise in 4 years, we were given a 1% increase on the last pay of 2013 and (if we still have a job) will get another 1% in april.

Slackbladder:

fredthered:

Slackbladder:

It wasn’t really a guess, I got out in 99 after 20 years army service, he would be well remunerated for his service.

Fair play and I’m glad you speak from personal experience.

I felt that way until I read the story completely. And what Dave really meant was the fact that Tax breaks have been given to a lot of people, and because of that we are all a lot better off, although we dont see it in our wage packet. In the old days ( sorry ) when we got our wages on a Friday, the boss would say, Youve got a rebate this week, or theres a bit extra this week, or I`ve given everyone a rise, we could actually see it, but what with BACS and the like, we hardly notice, but should be able to see a difference in APRIL when the tax returns are due, and our tax notifications are delivered. Sometimes the stories are delivered in a way that frightens a lot of people, or delights a lot of people, but i still think, regardless of what the economists say, we are still in deep ■■■■, and a lot of businesses are gonna go to the wall this year, including major names, and those small ones in our high street.