License renewal at 65

Asking this for my old man as its got the better of me

The renewal age is 45 then every 5 years after that, so how come his Hgv entitlement doesnt run out until the month before his 66th birthday?

chaversdad:
Asking this for my old man as its got the better of me

The renewal age is 45 then every 5 years after that, so how come his Hgv entitlement doesnt run out until the month before his 66th birthday?

When was his last medical date ?

If the last 5 year D4 medical was when he was aged 60 and 11 months then his next 1 year D4 medical would be aged 65 and 11 months

Thats what we cant understand, his last renewal was the month before his 61st birthday so he seems to have gained a year along the way somehow, i,ve told him if his license says Nov 2013 then not to worry about, even though he is 65 in December 2012

Good post,your Dad’s same age as me and I was wondering something the same myself but not overly bothered about it,sure some thing will turn up in post eventually!

The answer I gave was from DVLA medical section Tel 0300 790 6807

The next D4 medical will be due according to the expiry date on the licence whatever that might be

Cheers Rog, i,ll tell him not worry till next year

The renewal at 45 is the one after the 45th birthday so you could be almost 50 before you require a medical. You then renew at five year intervals so you could be almost 70 at your fourth renewal.

I will be nearly 66 when my licence expires.

I cannot imagine that have a 5 year medical at age 64 and 11 months will allow you to have the next at age 69 and 11 months

Although not certain, I guess the cut off will be age 66

ROG:
I cannot imagine that have a 5 year medical at age 64 and 11 months will allow you to have the next at age 69 and 11 months

Who know’s what logic DVLA will use, time will tell I suppose

waddy640:

ROG:

Who know’s what logic DVLA will use, time will tell I suppose

Correct me if ime wrong but are you not required to have a medical every 12 months after your 65th birthday.
regards dave.

Same thing happened to me. And yes - every year after 65.

The best thing about working after 65 is that you stop paying NI. I also deferred my pension so I get extra now.

I also deferred my pension so I get extra now.

that can be a challenging computation to work out :smiley:
Are you going to live long enough to get back in increased pension the amount you sacrificed in the year(s) that you didn’t draw it.
Ditto, wether to take the lump sum and a reduced pension or forgoe the lump and have an increased mothly payment.
or even take an early pension that is reduced but paid for longer
Times like these that you really need to know how long you have left! :smiley:

they have altered the retirement age now aswell…ive been told i cant retire till im 66.

I asked the DfT (via my MP) about the LGV medical and the increase in state pension age

The DfT replied to my MP stating that there will be no change in the medical to align with the increase in pension age

This will eventually mean that those driving LGVs until the state pension age of 68 (may increase to 70) will need to have many annual D4 medicals after the age of 65

Hiya…i was talking to a mate the other day, he told me dvla had given him 1 extra year on his licence as some insentive to work longer into retirement.

someone mentiomed working from66 years untill 71 you’ll need a medical each year after 66… unless they change the law again.
a chap i worked with 40 years ago died this weekend at 63 years. makeing 65 is harder the some of us realise.
John

chaversdad:
Thats what we cant understand, his last renewal was the month before his 61st birthday so he seems to have gained a year along the way somehow,

The medical lasts for 5 years so has he at some point let his licence lapse? Aside from the extra year the licence would normally expire the day not month before a birthday.

just had a look at my licence and C+E runs out the day before my 66th birthday, whereas before I renewed last year it ran out on my 65th birthday (or the day before)

I wonder how many like me keep it on even though no intention of using it again.

mrpj:

chaversdad:
Thats what we cant understand, his last renewal was the month before his 61st birthday so he seems to have gained a year along the way somehow,

The medical lasts for 5 years so has he at some point let his licence lapse? Aside from the extra year the licence would normally expire the day not month before a birthday.

well we finally got to the bottom of it, it would seem that when he was 45 he forgot to renew it until the the November of the following year and it has rolled on like that ever since
Tbh he may as well not bother with it as theres not a chance he will remember to do it every year once he gets to 66 :stuck_out_tongue:

del949:
just had a look at my licence and C+E runs out the day before my 66th birthday, whereas before I renewed last year it ran out on my 65th birthday (or the day before)

I wonder how many like me keep it on even though no intention of using it again.

I have kept my licence on for ten years now ‘just in case’ and renewed it last October. It now expires on 31-10-16 when I will be 65 years and ten months, I think that will be it then! :cry:

Pete.

ROG:
I asked the DfT (via my MP) about the LGV medical and the increase in state pension age

The DfT replied to my MP stating that there will be no change in the medical to align with the increase in pension age

This will eventually mean that those driving LGVs until the state pension age of 68 (may increase to 70) will need to have many annual D4 medicals after the age of 65

This is a farce. The original regulation would, I suspect, have been brought in when male life expectancy wasn’t much over the statutory retirement age; nowadays most of us can reasonably expect another decade of decent quality life beyond that, even in this industry.

It will be bad enough for those like me whose employers pick up the tab for medicals; it wouldn’t take much for the company bean-counters to dodge out of paying it for those who stay on voluntarily . For those who have to foot the bill out of their own pockets it is effectively a tax on jobs. There are probably quite a few of us who, because of the peripatetic nature of work in this industry, have through no fault of their own been unable to build up a private pension; I and many others will probably work till 70 whether we want to or not. I’m willing to bet that no other trade suffers the same constraints.