Licence/test changes - official info

KAOSWATERS:
Am I better just getting on with what I have and doing the rigid first.

The forum sponsor is trialling their first car to artic course in December
If other trainers are doing the same then it could be next year before you get the opportunity to do the same
At least if you have C this year then you have the earlier chance to use it for a LGV job

ROG:

KAOSWATERS:

If other trainers are doing the same then it could be next year before you get the opportunity to do the same
At least if you have C this year then you have the earlier chance to use it for a LGV job

Thanks ROG. I must admit that is what I was thinking. I don’t have my theories until 6th November, but want to get cracking. Just spoke to my potential school for lay of the land. He is already boooked until late December, he has been chasing up DVLA with exact requirements and even if it is going ahead as they have had no confirmation. Whole thing seems a mess.

I think I’ll be patient, take the CPC next week and exams week after and see how things go.

I’m surprised no-one has commented on the “if I fail” scenario. It’s always been bad news if the result is “fail”. And that’s with an outlay IRO £2000 all things included. A typical B to CE course looks though it’s coming in between £2700 and £4000. In my book, that’s a bit scary if the result isn’t what you want.

So, thinking aloud, is it better to follow the current system ie, CAT C followed by CE? Not saying it is - just worth putting out there for comments.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
I’m surprised no-one has commented on the “if I fail” scenario. It’s always been bad news if the result is “fail”. And that’s with an outlay IRO £2000 all things included. A typical B to CE course looks though it’s coming in between £2700 and £4000. In my book, that’s a bit scary if the result isn’t what you want.

So, thinking aloud, is it better to follow the current system ie, CAT C followed by CE? Not saying it is - just worth putting out there for comments.

Thats a good shout, but they are still going to offer both individual C and C+E courses, as well as they straight to C+E course. Totally get what you mean, and I am kinda glad I’m doing separates. Little less pressure i think lololol

Pete S:

Very good point Pete & one I have overlooked. Looking at things with this in mind, puts a positive slant on the whole situation. Thanks for the positive boost! It’s one l’m going to take with me for my test day next Tuesday. :slight_smile:

KAOSWATERS:

Only you can answer that!

ROG:

KAOSWATERS:

Anyone with a chance of a class 2 pass before Xmas needs to take it.
Even during a severe driver shortage the longer you have had an HGV licence the better. Very few firms touch a new pass, the rest want 6 month’s as a bear minimum.

Pete S:

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

I don’t follow your reasoning? Even if it is £4k, either you’re not going to walk away and give up, equally it’s not going to be another 4 grand for a resit.

English driver 1970:
Even during a severe driver shortage the longer you have had an HGV licence the better. Very few firms touch a new pass, the rest want 6 month’s as a bear minimum.

C1 is an HGV license.

stu675:

English driver 1970:

C1 is an HGV license.

In the eyes of insurers C1 is a van.

English driver 1970:

stu675:

English driver 1970:

C1 is an HGV license.

But in the eyes of employers C1 is HGV experience and a route into the industry which is what matters :smiley:

Pete S:

The current system is the better system. The journey through Class 2 training and test. And the experience that brings. Then onto class 1 training and test. I know this new system was once the norm.
But these days rush hour is 7am till 7pm, be interesting to see the fail/pass rate of B to CE compared to how things have been done.

Its interesting for sure for wannabee drivers like myself. Still feel getting the C for a while when the C1E would be the best route

1van:

English driver 1970:

stu675:

English driver 1970:

C1 is an HGV license.

But in the eyes of employers C1 is HGV experience and a route into the industry which is what matters :smiley:

I can only comment on my own experiences. I’ve had C1 and C1E entitlements since 1992. Since passing C in 2020 I’m still considered an HGV new pass to insurers and potential employers. It matters not what work I’ve done on that licence. But how long it’s been held.

Hi I took my class 2 with Peter smythe last December and looking to get my c+e. Just wondering what the cost would be?

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Canterbury:
Hi I took my class 2 with Peter smythe last December and looking to get my c+e. Just wondering what the cost would be?

Speak to the training providers that you want to go with.

English driver 1970:
]
I can only comment on my own experiences. I’ve had C1 and C1E entitlements since 1992. Since passing C in 2020 I’m still considered an HGV new pass to insurers and potential employers. It matters not what work I’ve done on that licence. But how long it’s been held.

So what’s to say the same attitude won’t be taken with CE? Everyone will be a new pass regardless how long they held C. So if CE is what a person wants to do, they should just get that as cheaply and quickly as possible.

Canterbury:

Of the order of £1500.

stu675:

English driver 1970:
]

So what’s to say the same attitude won’t be taken with CE? Everyone will be a new pass regardless how long they held C. So if CE is what a person wants to do, they should just get that as cheaply and quickly as possible.

Very true, as stated in my 1st comment. Employers will look more into class of licence time held. Insurers only intrested in length of time a HGV licence held. C or CE.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned (besides Pete mentioning it briefly I think), is the ability to do the reverse in an artic and the on-the-road part in a wagon and drag.

Just saying, because that seems to me to be the easiest route and something which was not possible with the old system of straight to class 1, which was specifically artic. Or am I mistaken?

It also seems logical for the sake of vehicle usage. The cat C prime mover can be utilised solo on day 1 as needed.

I personally think that people shouldn’t book the on-the-road part until they have a 3a pass. If you find you can’t reverse there is very little point in going out on the road and having all that booked and paid for.