Licence/test changes - official info

Pete S:
Driver CPC part 3a (off-road exercises) test
The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) will allow training organisations to carry out the Driver CPC part 3a test.

The person who trains you will not be allowed to carry out your Driver CPC part 3a test - it will need to be another trainer.

The off-road exercises will still include:

an ‘S’ shaped reverse into a bay
showing the uncoupling and recoupling procedure if you’re taking a test with a trailer
The test will still be assessed to the same standard.

You will need to pass the Driver CPC part 3a test before you can take the Driver CPC part 3b test.

Noremac:
I personally think that people shouldn’t book the on-the-road part until they have a 3a pass. If you find you can’t reverse there is very little point in going out on the road and having all that booked and paid for.

You will have to pass the reversing and coupling/uncoupling before they’ll let you do the on-road test, but you will still be able to do on-road training.

So if I renew my D4 medical and get a DCPC, can I drive a bus without taking another driving test as I passed my HGV1 back in the late 70’s

So if I renew my D4 medical and get a DCPC, can I drive a bus without taking another driving test as I passed my HGV1 back in the late 70’s

Nice try! No, sorry. There’s no crossover between the C categories and the D categories. So you would need a D provisional, D theory tests, D cpc and a D practical test.

Hope this helps, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

So I sent off for my lorry licence and got the C and C1 provisional entitlement added. I am booked in for my CE and have my theory tests coming up.
Realising my error I need to send my licence back on the 15th November to get the CE added.
However am I supposed to send another D2 form in to get this? There is no box on the form for CE just C1+E. I was just going to send a form with C1+E and hope CE comes back as well. Or is there an easier way to do this?

I have tried contacting DVLA and can find nothing on getting the CE provisonal added so not sure what I am meant to do to.

Anyone a bit wiser have any ideas? They seem to make something so simple difficult.

Help :confused:

Roadielife:
So I sent off for my lorry licence and got the C and C1 provisional entitlement added. I am booked in for my CE and have my theory tests coming up.
Realising my error I need to send my licence back on the 15th November to get the CE added.
However am I supposed to send another D2 form in to get this? There is no box on the form for CE just C1+E. I was just going to send a form with C1+E and hope CE comes back as well. Or is there an easier way to do this?

I have tried contacting DVLA and can find nothing on getting the CE provisonal added so not sure what I am meant to do to.

Anyone a bit wiser have any ideas? They seem to make something so simple difficult.

Help :confused:

Nobody knows yet.

So I posted my provisional application off yesterday and now I’ve read this :angry:

From here = trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 5&t=170538

Pete S:
Pass CAT C test. Automatic grant

If no provisional currently held, apply for CAT C provisional now. It will be dealt with after 15th November and come back as CE provisional.

If you currently hold CAT C provisional, email extraprovisional@dvla.gov.uk. The email will be taken that the driver’s circumstances have not changed since the existing licence was applied for (medical conditions, residency, offences) You must state your name, driver number and date of birth.

You will receive a generic reply confirming your entitlement

The original request email and the response have to be produced when taking a driving course/test.

CAT D full licence holders will automatically gain all C classes from Nov 15th. Recommended send email to get confirmation.

DO NOT SEND EMAILS BEFORE NOV 15TH.

ROG:
From here = trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 5&t=170538

Pete S:
Pass CAT C test. Automatic grant

If no provisional currently held, apply for CAT C provisional now. It will be dealt with after 15th November and come back as CE provisional.

If you currently hold CAT C provisional, email extraprovisional@dvla.gov.uk. The email will be taken that the driver’s circumstances have not changed since the existing licence was applied for (medical conditions, residency, offences) You must state your name, driver number and date of birth.

You will receive a generic reply confirming your entitlement

The original request email and the response have to be produced when taking a driving course/test.

CAT D full licence holders will automatically gain all C classes from Nov 15th. Recommended send email to get confirmation.

DO NOT SEND EMAILS BEFORE NOV 15TH.

Thank you for this update :slight_smile: I’m glad DVLA are not requiring paperwork and licences back to do this. Makes it easier for all of us. :smiley:

So I posted my provisional application off yesterday and now I’ve read this

That’s fine - fret not! I’m led to believe that DVLA will be holding on to applications received in the first couple of weeks of November to ensure the maximum provisional entitlement allowed from 15th.

DVLA have stated that the backlog is now cleared. So their normal service is 3 - 5 days. There have been many horror stories in the last year or so and delays have been caused by COVID disruption.

Please note that, with the best will in the world, DVLA can only process applications that are correctly completed. Others are bound to be delayed. Your trainer should be able to give assurance that your form is ok.

When applying for provisional C or CE, you have the option to tick every box on the D2 form. And this is the safest way. I’m told that simply ticking D provisional will generate every category - but why risk it? There is no box for CE provisional. Tick C provisional and you’ll get CE as well. But this only matters if you want to go from car to artic. And it looks as if many folks are not comfy with this and are sticking to the current route of C then CE.

And just to repeat: a current full D licence holder will receive PROVISIONAL licence entitlements for all goods vehicle categories. But still need to email DVLA to get them added.

Hope this helps, Pete

I currently have my full car/bike licence and I’m just about to start the process to become a LGV driver :wink: The D2/D4 paperwork is on it’s way to me from the government website but before I get started I wasn’t sure whether or not to wait for the changes to come into effect?

I’ll most probably be transferring internally at work from van driver to LGV and all the work there is class 1 articulated lorries so I don’t really need my class 2. With the new changes I would obviously get class 2 entitlement anyway.

Basically I’m just not sure whether or not to hold off or get booked in somewhere and get the ball rolling. What do you think?

I’m assuming you want to go direct from car to artic. Send the completed forms off as soon as you’ve had your medical. They will be dealt with from 15th November so you will get CE provisional straight away.

The D2/D4 paperwork is on it’s way to me from the government website

Take note people. These forms are readily available from all good trainers. No need to wait for Swansea.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
I’m assuming you want to go direct from car to artic. Send the completed forms off as soon as you’ve had your medical. They will be dealt with from 15th November so you will get CE provisional straight away.

Yes. Straight in with both feet :stuck_out_tongue: I’m not sure how I’ll get on driving something like that but I’m not shy of a challenge :wink: I’ve got friends who don’t know their left from right and they managed it over the years so I’m confident.

Pete S:

Take note people. These forms are readily available from all good trainers. No need to wait for Swansea.

Oh yeah definitely just grab them while you can, I’m kicking myself for not doing that now but my local place is L&T Transport and although I believe they do have those forms I was being a little hesitant and I figured I would take my time with everything.

I still need to brush up on some theory test stuff as I don’t want to embarrass myself failing that :laughing: I couldn’t deal with failing and friends and family wouldn’t let me live that one down :smiley:

In hindsight by the time Swansea send me the forms I’ll hopefully be booked in for a medical and good to go for the theory or I’ll be in my grave by the sounds of their recent delays :laughing:

T1Cybernetic:

Pete S:

Aren’t they still available in some Post Offices?

You may be able to get D2 from a post office. The D4 is available on line.

So I went down the route of my class 2 first did my theory 5th October and had my practical training 1st to 5th November and have now passed, you have to watch out as most training companies that I have spoken with about going straight to c+e would prefer not to do it given the fact its hard enough to learn on a class 2 from a normal car licence let alone going straight to class 1. I will though be going for my class 1 once I have abit of experience with rigids

So I went down the route of my class 2 first did my theory 5th October and had my practical training 1st to 5th November and have now passed, you have to watch out as most training companies that I have spoken with about going straight to c+e would prefer not to do it given the fact its hard enough to learn on a class 2 from a normal car licence let alone going straight to class 1. I will though be going for my class 1 once I have abit of experience with rigids

Firstly, congratulations on the pass!

Your comments are 100% valid. But I would add that no two people are the same. For some, the route of C then CE will be perfect. For others, it would be a waste of time and money as they could deal with car to CE.

As I’ve mentioned many times in various threads, up till 1997 we always trained car to CE with car to C being a very rare animal. Add to that the fact that some of these folk couldn’t even drive a car and you might begin to understand that car to CE holds no terror for me. I started training in 1974 so I had 23 years of the old system and 24 years of the newer system which is about to be scrapped. Neither one is perfect for everybody and folk must make their own judgement.

At PSTT there is an option of 3 hours on CAT C before the start of the CE course. This is long enough to get a feel for the width of the truck, use of mirrors and being sat up in the air. An alternative is to complete the C course but dont bother taking the test. (But if I was doing that, I’d take the test so I’d hopefully come out of the process with at least a CAT C if the CE didn’t go to plan). But, for those that fancy it, go straight to CE. I suggest Pass Protection is a sensible purchase and will take loads of pressure out.

After years i’ve finally decided to go for it. I’ve got an “Old” form that doesn’t list the new way of applying for provisional entitlements. But take it that i can post it off after today and dvla will process it as per the new rules to add the categories? Wonder how long till the paper forms are updated…

After years i’ve finally decided to go for it. I’ve got an “Old” form that doesn’t list the new way of applying for provisional entitlements. But take it that i can post it off after today and dvla will process it as per the new rules to add the categories?

Yes, tick CAT C provisional and you’ll get CE provisional.

stu675:

T1Cybernetic:

Pete S:

I went into the post office and couldn’t find them. I asked at the desk and they had them both in an envelope together, but they seemed short of them. I don’t know if there is a supply issue?