Licence/test changes - official info

is it a bad time to have my medical and send my d4 and d2 off at the moment

It is absolutely the right time to have your medical. As for sending the forms to Swansea, bear in mind that you need them to be processed from November 15th (assuming you want CE). Unfortunately, some forms are processed virtually by return whilst others can take several weeks. To be safe, hold on to just before 15th. But if you’re a gambler, send them earlier.

Sorry that’s not very helpful - but it’s as good as it gets at the moment.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Firstly at the stage you are at, I presume you now want to go straight to CE without C first? It’s what I’m doing, I was booked for a course from the 8th and C test 12th nov [emoji28]I have rebooked 14th Feb, hopefully that will be brought forward
I don’t think think the physical forms will change that quickly so I would do as Pete says.

stu675:
Firstly at the stage you are at, I presume you now want to go straight to CE without C first? It’s what I’m doing, I was booked for a course from the 8th and C test 12th nov [emoji28]I have rebooked 14th Feb, hopefully that will be brought forward
I don’t think think the physical forms will change that quickly so I would do as Pete says.

So you have cancelled your November C test and rescheduled to February? I take it you are going to send your license off on or around 15th November to get your C+E provisional entitlement?

That is quite a gamble man lol - hope it works out :slight_smile:

mburt 80:
So you have cancelled your November C test and rescheduled to February? I take it you are going to send your license off on or around 15th November to get your C+E provisional entitlement?

Exactly. I’ve started working with my C1, and looking around class 2 jobs are not always paying anymore, I spoke to my trainer and they’ll do my class 1 for £500 over and above, when I was expecting £1500 for my second training and test.

I can understand you still going for class 2 first if it’s paid for.[emoji106]

stu675:

mburt 80:

Exactly. I’ve started working with my C1, and looking around class 2 jobs are not always paying anymore, I spoke to my trainer and they’ll do my class 1 for £500 over and above, when I was expecting £1500 for my second training and test.

I can understand you still going for class 2 first if it’s paid for.[emoji106]

Ah ok, well in that case I totally agree lol.

I haven’t drive anything bigger than a Luton tbh mate, so I am quite happy doing the C first- just to get an eye in if nothing else hahaha

Any advice for people in my situation?
My Cat C training starts this coming weekend. My cat C test is on Tuesday.
My guess is, even if I wanted to change things, I probably couldn’t at such late notice. I’m a little perplexed in what to do. Anyone who’s gone through the application process this year has been on a bit of a rollercoaster ride already. I don’t particularly want to go through the hassle of applying for my provisional C+E. With this in mind my head says carry on regardless and learn from the experience. Hopefully it will put me in a good position for when I do C+E.
Your thoughts please.

MDW:
My guess is, even if I wanted to change things, I probably couldn’t at such late notice. I’m a little perplexed in what to do. Anyone who’s gone through the application process this year has been on a bit of a rollercoaster ride already. I don’t particularly want to go through the hassle of applying for my provisional C+E. With this in mind my head says carry on regardless and learn from the experience. Hopefully it will put me in a good position for when I do C+E.
Your thoughts please.

I start my Cat C tomorrow and my test is next week also. I’m just cracking on anyway. The changes mean nothing to me.

I’ll do my C+E at some point in the future.

MDW:
Your thoughts please.

What are you doing for work now?
Do you have C1 already?

Like bugger.lugs says, I think I would carry on if you think you could use your C test for work fairly soon.

At the end of the day the new regime is saving something like £1k over 2 separate tests, you could earn that in 2 weeks work and we are still a month or two away from being able to be booked onto a “straight to CE” course.

Maybe the saving is not as much as a Grand? and I am booked on the earliest straight to CE which is 4 months away! ( hopefully it will be brought forward )

Do you have C1 already?

I already have C1 & C1E through Grandfather rights.
I currently work as a field based traveling
rep. The price is obviously a part of my concern, It’s also the knowing an easier path to C + E is available so soon after my test date. A part of me can’t help feeling doing C will be a waste of effort. I know the official line is to carry on with the current training program. It’s one of those situations where I don’t know what to do for the best. Pros and cons either way.

MDW:
Your thoughts please.

Do what I’m doing, just crack on as normal. Like you say, this year has been strange to say the least, and you are going to be heavily delayed if you wait till after 15th imo. Plus, after you get your C just go to work till you get your C+E.

I can understand wanting to wait, but as your C is so close, then just crack on mate.

bugger.lugs:

MDW:
Your thoughts please.

I start my Cat C tomorrow and my test is next week also. I’m just cracking on anyway. The changes mean nothing to me.

I’ll do my C+E at some point in the future.

Totally agree :slight_smile:

MDW:

Do you have C1 already?

I already have C1 & C1E through Grandfather rights.
I currently work as a field based traveling
rep. The price is obviously a part of my concern, It’s also the knowing an easier path to C + E is available so soon after my test date. A part of me can’t help feeling doing C will be a waste of effort. I know the official line is to carry on with the current training program. It’s one of those situations where I don’t know what to do for the best. Pros and cons either way.

It may not be as much use to someone thats drove C1 type vehicles, but I really wouldn’t expect there to be much cost saving … I will be surprised if there is anymore than a 100 quid or so.

stu675:
Maybe the saving is not as much as a Grand? and I am booked on the earliest straight to CE which is 4 months away! ( hopefully it will be brought forward )

I think, for most, the saving will be minimal.

It seems most schools will be offering a course with a duration and cost similar to that of the current C + CE combined.

Having just got my provisional and now being so close to 15 Nov, it I wanted to simply update the provisional for the new rules, how would I go about this. Is it online/post office licence again, what forms etc. I’ve gone trawlling the internet for abit and can’t find anything.

KAOSWATERS:
Having just got my provisional and now being so close to 15 Nov, it I wanted to simply update the provisional for the new rules, how would I go about this. Is it online/post office licence again, what forms etc. I’ve gone trawlling the internet for abit and can’t find anything.

I think you have to contact DVLA directly after Nov 15

KAOSWATERS:

From what I read it will be the same forms as before. They will only give you the C+E element if they process it after 15th November, that’s the only difference.

You could wait till 13th and send the D2 form off again, but I don’t know whether you will need the medical again, as I presume you have already had that. Thats my understanding anyway.

mburt 80:

KAOSWATERS:

From what I read it will be the same forms as before. They will only give you the C+E element if they process it after 15th November, that’s the only difference.

You could wait till 13th and send the D2 form off again, but I don’t know whether you will need the medical again, as I presume you have already had that. Thats my understanding anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I’m not going through that lot again. Posted 1st August only got back a couple of weeks ago. I’ll keep my eye on it but it turning into I can’t be ar5ed with the mucking about. Why not just it automatically. No wonder we are sinking.

mburt 80:

KAOSWATERS:

Medical expires after 4 months as I understand it, so as long as you send it all off within the 4months you’ve had the medical you should be fine, with the backlog they have maybe it would be smart to cut that short and get it posted before 3months though.

flammen:

mburt 80:

KAOSWATERS:

Medical expires after 4 months as I understand it, so as long as you send it all off within the 4months you’ve had the medical you should be fine, with the backlog they have maybe it would be smart to cut that short and get it posted before 3months though.

Thanks.

Am I better just getting on with what I have and doing the rigid first.

flammen:

Once the medical report (D4) is complete you have 4 months to get it to DVLA before it expires.

Once the forms have been received by DVLA the medical is valid for 12 months should you need to make any amendments.

HTH.