Licence Counterpart Demise

In the letter they sent out, i assume they sent it to every driver in the uk. Wonder what the cost eh that bloody letter was :laughing:

Well in the letter, why do they ask you to destroy your counterpart, why don’t they just say its no longer in use and will no longer be issued.

I’ve binned mine.

Well…I’ve hired a car from Malaga Airport for my hols, the email says…as the paper counter part is no longer available, please provide the 4 digit DVLA code…

Any ideas anyone■■? :neutral_face:

redbob:
Well…I’ve hired a car from Malaga Airport for my hols, the email says…as the paper counter part is no longer available, please provide the 4 digit DVLA code…

You have to go to DVLA website and generate the code from your NI number, passport, licence number and email address I think but there is chaos apparently.

This might be of help
thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars … -code.html

This is where you “share” your driving licence.

gov.uk/view-driving-licence

alder:

redbob:

You have to go to DVLA website and generate the code from your NI number, passport, licence number and email address I think but there is chaos apparently.

This might be of help

Nice one mate cheers…I’ll have a scan

redbob:

alder:

redbob:

This might be of help

Nice one mate cheers…I’ll have a scan

Just so you know, the code you get is only valid for 72 hrs so don’t bother applying for it until just before you go or you will have to get another.

So you can now chuck the paper licence but you will need to take your NI number, email address and driving licence number with your passport to an internet café abroad to hiring a ■■■■■■■ car. BRILLIANT! :sunglasses:

alder:
So you can now chuck the paper licence but you will need to take your NI number, email address and driving licence number with your passport to an internet café abroad to hiring a [zb] car. BRILLIANT! :sunglasses:

So they say, but have you ever needed to show it abroad before? I know I haven’t ever been asked for one here, there or anywhere.

alder:
So you can now chuck the paper licence but you will need to take your NI number, email address and driving licence number with your passport to an internet café abroad to hiring a [zb] car. BRILLIANT! :sunglasses:

And just how secure would that be ?

Good point :open_mouth:

I do not get the reason for this unique 72 hour number thing when all a driver has to do is to take their photocard and their NI number to wherever and use the computer at that location to put in those details in order to show their driving licence details

It could be the hire company etc put in the driver licence number and postcode from the licence and the driver inputs their NI number

Employers usually photocopy the licence and have NI number so they will have all 3 bits of info to look at the licence details at any time they want to

the amount of high class hire cars has now trebled in the village in Africa… so the emails I kept getting about govt money owed to me must have been true… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

How long will it be, before there’s a charge to generate the 72hr code?

D-ya not?:
How long will it be, before there’s a charge to generate the 72hr code?

You’re so cynical :laughing: …about 6 months :laughing:

Well I got my CE test on Thursday, I’ll be taking my paper part just in case.

I mislaid my paper part weeks ago so I gues that counts as it being binned. Never shown the paper part anywhere when hiring a car abroad and don’t ever recall showing the paper part when stopped in controls while driving a truck around Europe.

The paper counterpart (and the information on it) would be of no interest to an officer conducting a roadside check.

Roymondo:
The paper counterpart (and the information on it) would be of no interest to an officer conducting a roadside check.

Exactly, and it’s never been of interest to a car hire firm abroad either. About time it went.

Some of those from foreign climes would love to get their hands on a UK NI number. First thing you would know your identity had been compromised is when you had tax bills for two separate workplaces.

I won’t even put my NI number on application forms, unless offered the job.