licence check

a company that i’ve been doing a bit of part time work for that ended up being full time that i didn’t want. Gave me a form a few weeks back.
I was expected to fill it out with all manner of licence and personal details, They then pass this on to a third party company. They can then do licence, criminal record, and as far as i know credit checks.
They were told to get stuffed. They have a copy of both parts of my licence, and i’m the only driver they have that has never had an accident. “but everyone else dosn’t have a problem with it” he said. “come off it, you know i’m not a yes man” i replied.
It turns out that he was right, All the other drivers just went along with it.
so the question are as follows.
am i wrong for refusing to obey?
would you let someone you don’t know delve into every bit of your life?

Employers are legally bound to be sure that an employee has the right to work in the UK.

The UK Border Agency expects employers to take all reasonable steps to check that any document presented as proof of right to work in the UK is valid. Departments must satisfy themselves that the prospective employee (or current employee if carrying out repeat checks) is the person named in the document and that the document allows them to do the work in question.

In particular, departments must:

check that any photographs are consistent with the appearance of the employee (this means you must see them in person);
check that the dates of birth listed are consistent across documents and that you are satisfied that these correspond with the appearance of the employee;
check that the expiry dates of any limited leave to enter or remain in the UK (visas) have not passed;
check any UK visas to see if the prospective employee (or current employee if carrying out repeat checks) is able to do the type of work you are offering;
satisfy yourself that the documents are valid and genuine, have not been tampered with and belong to the holder.

limeyphil:
a company that i’ve been doing a bit of part time work for that ended up being full time that i didn’t want. Gave me a form a few weeks back.
I was expected to fill it out with all manner of licence and personal details, They then pass this on to a third party company. They can then do licence, criminal record, and as far as i know credit checks.
They were told to get stuffed. They have a copy of both parts of my licence, and i’m the only driver they have that has never had an accident. “but everyone else dosn’t have a problem with it” he said. “come off it, you know i’m not a yes man” i replied.
It turns out that he was right, All the other drivers just went along with it.
so the question are as follows.
am i wrong for refusing to obey?
would you let someone you don’t know delve into every bit of your life?

I would give them permission to contact DVLA iif they required to check that my licence is still valid (as anyone can ring up and say they lost it get sent a 2nd licence in case they get banned and then show the “spare” one to the transport office), I would also give them the details they required to do what seems like a CRB check (just going off what you said) other than that no, they can’t do a credit check and I wouldn’t want my personal details going to a 3rd party unless it was a government institution.

So basically I would have filled out some parts of the form, the financial side I would have kept to myself.

Could be the company wants to be sure that you’re not susceptible to being blackmailed or bribed to reveal sensitive information, e.g. load and route details, should you have a lifestyle not supported by your income.

A credit check doesn’t AFAIK delve into funds held on deposit or other investments, rather the likely-hood of paying back on a loan, creditworthy.

Very similar thread to a previous one with regard to copying stuff. read this

hmso.gov.uk/copyright/guidan … d%20format.htm

Santa:
Employers are legally bound to be sure that an employee has the right to work in the UK.

The UK Border Agency expects employers to take all reasonable steps to check that any document presented as proof of right to work in the UK is valid. Departments must satisfy themselves that the prospective employee (or current employee if carrying out repeat checks) is the person named in the document and that the document allows them to do the work in question.

In particular, departments must:

check that any photographs are consistent with the appearance of the employee (this means you must see them in person);
check that the dates of birth listed are consistent across documents and that you are satisfied that these correspond with the appearance of the employee;
check that the expiry dates of any limited leave to enter or remain in the UK (visas) have not passed;
check any UK visas to see if the prospective employee (or current employee if carrying out repeat checks) is able to do the type of work you are offering;
satisfy yourself that the documents are valid and genuine, have not been tampered with and belong to the holder.

Bit of a laugh isn’t it when you see the government can’t control its own borders any more lets every ‘Tom ■■■■ n Harry’ in then expect employers,to police it for them?

All they need to know is that you have a valid licence to drive the truck and you havnt had a ban recently…ie DD , your private life means just that private ! too many nosey twots .

I think i’ll just point out that they are fully aware of my past. I’ve not lied to them, I came clean from the start about my criminal record, and even arrests where no charges were brought.
Basically i’m very good at my job, But i’ve pulled a few strokes over the years. None of us are perfect.
But what i told them is between me and them. Not some outside firm that could sell information for all i know.
You can’t trust everything that’s held on file about you.
I did a CRB check on myself years ago. Acording to it, I was once arrested 5 miles away from home dressed in a dressing gown in the middle of a street, Breaking into a car. I know nothing about it, and it also makes it look like i’ve escaped from the loony bin.
There have been threads on here regarding drivers entitlement to drive a HGV disapearing from the DVLA database.

at my last place i managed to smash a mirror on a overhanging branch on a narrow road ,when i filled a accident report form in, it asked for details of MY!! insurance co. i told them as far as your concerned i havent got any ,it wasnt a suit but they didnt get them

The most relevant information that can be requested by an agency is Licence details.

Bank account details do not need to be given beyond Account number and sort code - relevant to being paid by BACS.

Credit checks are not relevant, so can be refused out of hand when sought.

NI number - needs to be given, with all further information regarding “leave to remain” etc. being sought from HMRC rather than yourself.

Previous address history is not relevant. Anyone asking for it intends to sell your data to a third-party firm that attempts to follow your life around the country, ultimately finishing with your details being sold on to foreign powers.

Accident History - If there is any, they won’t need to get that from you in the first place.

Criminal Record - Once again, they don’t need your permission to get your file - should you have one.

In all of these checks, there’s really no need to give them more information that they need. “Everyone else has no problem with it” is just there way of believing that “Oh crap, my record is so bad I’d better put my hand up to everything, lest I get passed over for a job here!” :wink:

The sad state of British Firms is though that an employer is far more likely to employ an ex-con with 9 points on their licence over a “no convictions, clean licence” bod, (let’s say like-for-like experience) because the former type are the very “yes men” that we all profess to hate so much, but I suspect many drivers in the business actually are alas. :frowning:

Having the dirt on your staff keeps them in line more than jumping through the “troublemaking” driver’s own hoops they might well have for the firm itself! - Can’t have the tail wagging the dog now can we? :smiling_imp:

Companies have an explicit Duty of Care to
all other road users while their employees are
driving on company business: ensuring that
employees are both able and eligible to drive is
of fundamental importance.
Duty of Care or Arse Covering by your employer.

I would tell them to ■■■■ off credit check is none of anyones business but your own unless your applying for some sort of finance

You wouldn’t believe what this firm is like.
Every day there is a new rule. The drivers sign this, agree to do that, then moan like [zb].
I’ve made it quite clear that i don’t need the job. They seem to leave me alone as i don’t role over like the others
But i do enjoy asking them for memos and any other paperwork, with a final response of “thanks for that, i’ll need to wipe my arse very shortly”. :laughing:

Winseer:
Accident History - If there is any, they won’t need to get that from you in the first place.

Criminal Record - Once again, they don’t need your permission to get your file - should you have one.

In all of these checks, there’s really no need to give them more information that they need.

As regards Criminal Record your last statement is correct. The one above it is wrong. Permission is needed for someone to see your file, without your permission they can’t access or read it. Unless the role applied for specifically requires it the check will be a basic one, not a standard or enhanced. For example a basic one will not show police cautions, being on the ■■■ offenders register etc… It will pureley show unspent convictions.

Had a couple of customers on ask for similar, an ex manager gave away info which caused a load of bad feeling that still resurfaces when new rules come out. I’ve no problem if it’s to work on military bases, but when a security guard wants to know your address, dob and inside leg measurement just to deliver to a mosque.

It could be worse, it could be America. :wink:

Harry Monk:
It could be worse, it could be America. :wink:

DAC Reports for Truckers - Get Your Report, Fix Problems

Wow!

I understood that under the Data Protection Act they couldn’t pass on your information to a third party without your permission.

They can’t, mate. But, having TOLD you that they intend to pass the information on, you are assumed to have given them permission by supplying them with the details.
If I were you, I would take Santa’s advice- tell them nothing except what you are obliged to.

miketdt:
I understood that under the Data Protection Act they couldn’t pass on your information to a third party without your permission.

that’s right, But when they say things like “if you’ve nothing to hide, then you’ve nothing to worry about”. and “it’s company policy, everyone has to sign, you’ll be on a disciplinaryif you don’t”.