licence check

Winseer:
The most relevant information that can be requested by an agency is Licence details.

Bank account details do not need to be given beyond Account number and sort code - relevant to being paid by BACS.

Credit checks are not relevant, so can be refused out of hand when sought.

NI number - needs to be given, with all further information regarding “leave to remain” etc. being sought from HMRC rather than yourself.

Previous address history is not relevant. Anyone asking for it intends to sell your data to a third-party firm that attempts to follow your life around the country, ultimately finishing with your details being sold on to foreign powers.

Accident History - If there is any, they won’t need to get that from you in the first place.

Criminal Record - Once again, they don’t need your permission to get your file - should you have one.

In all of these checks, there’s really no need to give them more information that they need. “Everyone else has no problem with it” is just there way of believing that “Oh crap, my record is so bad I’d better put my hand up to everything, lest I get passed over for a job here!” :wink:

The sad state of British Firms is though that an employer is far more likely to employ an ex-con with 9 points on their licence over a “no convictions, clean licence” bod, (let’s say like-for-like experience) because the former type are the very “yes men” that we all profess to hate so much, but I suspect many drivers in the business actually are alas. :frowning:

Having the dirt on your staff keeps them in line more than jumping through the “troublemaking” driver’s own hoops they might well have for the firm itself! - Can’t have the tail wagging the dog now can we? :smiling_imp:

sorry, but erm where do they not need to get permission to get your criminal record from? I had to have clearance back home yes I had to sign the official secrets act swear allegiance to the queen etc … had pnc done credit checks the give details of parents partner etc but that was due to the job I was going to do … but they still required my permission to get this …

tell your company to go get stuffed you have no legal obligation to give financial details if they want to know your legal to work show them your birth cert or passport

I’d do a credit check on them to see if my wages has a good chance of being in my account at the end of the week,as for a credit check on me !well they pay me money not the other way around!

Mike-C:

Winseer:
Accident History - If there is any, they won’t need to get that from you in the first place.

Criminal Record - Once again, they don’t need your permission to get your file - should you have one.

In all of these checks, there’s really no need to give them more information that they need.

As regards Criminal Record your last statement is correct. The one above it is wrong. Permission is needed for someone to see your file, without your permission they can’t access or read it. Unless the role applied for specifically requires it the check will be a basic one, not a standard or enhanced. For example a basic one will not show police cautions, being on the ■■■ offenders register etc… It will pureley show unspent convictions.

Surely, if this were true, then you could just say “I don’t have a record” which would then make any employer powerless to actually find out if you do or not - since you’ve not given permission?!

Deeireland:
I’d do a credit check on them to see if my wages has a good chance of being in my account at the end of the week,as for a credit check on me !well they pay me money not the other way around!

Not necassarily the case if you’re on umbrella. :laughing:

Winseer:

Mike-C:

Winseer:

In all of these checks, there’s really no need to give them more information that they need.

As regards Criminal Record your last statement is correct. The one above it is wrong. Permission is needed for someone to see your file, without your permission they can’t access or read it. Unless the role applied for specifically requires it the check will be a basic one, not a standard or enhanced. For example a basic one will not show police cautions, being on the ■■■ offenders register etc… It will pureley show unspent convictions.

Surely, if this were true, then you could just say “I don’t have a record” which would then make any employer powerless to actually find out if you do or not - since you’ve not given permission?!

Its true mate. They usually have to state you will be liable to a check, if you refuse then often you won’t get past the interview stage.

Crazy…

They ‘have to ask your permission’, but if you ‘don’t give it’ you’re going to be punished. No point in having “permissions” at all then is there? :confused:

“Give me all your money or I’ll shoot you” would be a compliant lawful instruction on this basis…

I’m on record already for suggesting that tinkering with company laws over the past couple of decades has worked out to be a crook’s charter. :angry: :frowning:
The data protection act has become a stick where firms can beat you around the head, but not the other way around. Eg. win a substantial damages sum from a firm who’ve sold your details onto a third party WITHOUT your permission…

Further proof if any were needed that it’s there to protect the large firm from the small individual, and not the other way around. :imp:

Surely we all approve of laws that stop employers from knowingly taking on illegal immigrants, often at very low pay.

When you interview an employer to see if they are suitable, you can always kick them into touch if they are too intrusive without good cause.

You need to know details of this third party company. For all you know this could turn out to be one of those Blacklisting companies that have ruined so many peoples lives.

I would draw everyone’s attention to Santa’s last post:
Don’t forget that The Interview is a two-way thing. As well as the company trying to ascertain whether you would be a suitable employee, you are there to find out if they are likely to be an acceptable employer. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and tell them what you are or are not prepared to do. And do yourself a favour by requesting a copy of their Contract of Employment BEFORE you agree on a start date. If they refuse you one it is reasonable to assume that they have something to hide.
Play them at their own game! :grimacing:

Are you are that this check isn’t to do with the new rules for tax calculations etc.

Its all on the HMRC website somewhere.

Can’t understand why they would need to do a credit check if you were just a standard worker, if you were a potential investor I could understand it to see if you have a history of bankruptcy and the like.

Could the 3rd party actually be the payroll company?

Retired Old ■■■■:
Don’t forget that The Interview is a two-way thing. As well as the company trying to ascertain whether you would be a suitable employee, you are there to find out if they are likely to be an acceptable employer. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and tell them what you are or are not prepared to do. And do yourself a favour by requesting a copy of their Contract of Employment BEFORE you agree on a start date. If they refuse you one it is reasonable to assume that they have something to hide.

Easy to say if you aren’t desperate for a job…

Deeireland:

Especially now in the the time we seem to be in !pop , pop ,burst ,wallop,wall,etc
Just my opinion may be wrong though.

limeyphil:
a company that i’ve been doing a bit of part time work for that ended up being full time that i didn’t want. Gave me a form a few weeks back.
I was expected to fill it out with all manner of licence and personal details, They then pass this on to a third party company. They can then do licence, criminal record, and as far as i know credit checks.
They were told to get stuffed. They have a copy of both parts of my licence, and i’m the only driver they have that has never had an accident. “but everyone else dosn’t have a problem with it” he said. “come off it, you know i’m not a yes man” i replied.
It turns out that he was right, All the other drivers just went along with it.
so the question are as follows.
am i wrong for refusing to obey?
would you let someone you don’t know delve into every bit of your life?

I can understand the background check for obvious reasons but credit check ■■? why FFS. What in hells name has your personal finances got to do with who you work for ?
Tell them to get lost.

Play them at there own game. Tell them as per Data Protection Act you would like a copy of all information they hold relating to yourself.

They’ll try and charge you for that though. Everyone else with data on you does! :imp:

Harry Monk:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Easy to say if you aren’t desperate for a job…

The phrase, “Over a barrell” seems paticularly apt, Harry.

Retired Old ■■■■:

Harry Monk:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Don’t forget that The Interview is a two-way thing. As well as the company trying to ascertain whether you would be a suitable employee, .

ive never been interviewed yet ,but ive interviewed quite a few companies ,found most to be lacking unfortunatly :unamused:

Reminds me a bit of a particularly nutty boss I once had: I gave him the sack at least twice a week but he just wouldn’t go! In the end I gave him best and walked out myself.

Well I’m sure Limeyphil could always return to Nolans, after all they gave him everything he demanded first time so can’t be that bad…

switchlogic:
Well I’m sure Limeyphil could always return to Nolans, after all they gave him everything he demanded first time so can’t be that bad…

they gave me the going rate. no demands from me.