LHD Scammell Crusaders

858.jpg

robert1952:

Great thread, takes me back to my youth. These tractors paired up with the Crane Fruehauff trailers had a 35 Ton payload, all up weights at maximum payload must have been well over 50 Tons. We used to move construction plant and machines and anything else heavy, apart from Battle tanks from the docks at Antwerp up to Units in Germany on a regular basis.

Great memories, can’t believe we did all that as a bunch of kids in our late teens or early twenties. Happy times!

MickM

Crusader in Russia. Robert

s-l5rrr00.jpg

SAR457J L/H

DISPATCHER:
SAR457J L/H

And an impressive example it is too! Robert

Just bumping this up to chime with the general Crusader thread that’s at the top of the page now, with reference to my question regarding any examples of 6x4 Crusaders with 9-sp rather than 15-sp Fuller 'boxes.

EDTRUCK:
Good evening Robert

Both the two CRusaders I drove while at Pickfords Heavy Haulage in the early 1980s were LHD, and were not ex-military.

I remember feeling I had become “king of the road” driving them at just 21 years old!!

Ed

Whoops! A few years late, but thanks EDTRUCK for that vital piece of information, and its correction of my initial post that launches the thread. God knows how I missed it but I was just trawling back for gearbox info when I spotted your post. Cheers old mate! R

ERF-NGC-European:
Just bumping this up to chime with the general Crusader thread that’s at the top of the page now, with reference to my question regarding any examples of 6x4 Crusaders with 9-sp rather than 15-sp Fuller 'boxes.

I notice that I never followed this up on this thread. Just to cross-ref with the main Crusader thread, then: DEANB posted an article which showed that RHD/LHD 6x4 Crusaders in the British military were fitted with 15-sp Fullers if they were on heavy work (tank-transporters etc), but were fitted with 9-sp Fullers if ordered for lighter duties. ie there are probably quite a number of 6x4s with RT(0) 9505(A)s floating about!

Oddly enough, I actually have that article filed away but had never noticed the closing paragraphs with this info. Here’s the link to the thread page with the article:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61389&start=720

Rowena

This LHD one is intriguing because it has such a late number plate and was probably built for civvy street, not ex-army. Love the livery! Anyone know what spec it was?

5661579102_9ce258d811_z.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
This LHD one is intriguing because it has such a late number plate and was probably built for civvy street, not ex-army. Love the livery! Anyone know what spec it was?

Very distinctive livery, would have thought someone would recognise it!

ERF-NGC-European:
Left-■■■■■■, if the mirrors are anything to go by! (NMP)

Link to a more recent pic images.app.goo.gl/eRLeYNPCdQ63qkLz9

Franglais:

ERF-NGC-European:

RHD Then

robthedog:

Franglais:

ERF-NGC-European:

RHD Then

Exactly! :laughing: I’ve transferred it to the other thread.

I’ve always been a huge fan of Crusaders. I’ve been reluctant to declare it on here, partly because I felt that tilting cabs were a pre-requisite for ‘modern’ trucking. However, I just love this over-engineered beast with its Eagle 3 Rolls engine and Fuller ‘box. The 10-sp & related 15-sp ‘box were available in the earlier 220 Rolls versions and in the heavy haulage 305-powered 6x4s.

But the more modern and flexible 9-sp Fuller were standard on the 4x2 RHD versions with a 280 bhp RR Eagle and optional on both RHD and LHD versions of both the civilian and military versions of the 6x4 Crusader with the RR Eagle 305 engine.

They were pretty spartan inside compared with the ERF European NGC with the same Motor Panels cab (which tilted, by the way), but I would love to run one down to the Mediterranean and back for a one-off trip.

BRS obviously thought highly of them, or they wouldn’t have commissioned them in the first place. Nor would the British armed services, who used them for many years.
Wonderful lorries IMHO!

Posted on the other Crusader thread this evening by Anorak. As he suggests, judging from the TIR plate it was probably an aircraft refueller destined for the Gulf and delivered overland. He draws our attention to the LHD and the west-coast style mirrors.

Rowena

44862750461_9c5b01a5ac_o.jpg

These three are all 6x4 Crusaders on Portuguese plates. I wonder how many LHD Crusaders ended up in Portugal. Or was this example one and the same vehicle? The first are not my pics but I did take the bottom picture in Lisbon docks in about 1986.

FFBSW099.jpg

Here is a much clearer image of a pic I posted on here earlier on :sunglasses: . It was posted today by Buzzer on another thread. I notice the company is based in Jeddah. That Saudi port town must have had more British Motor Panels-cabbed lorries in it than many sizeable towns in the UK! :laughing:

I wonder if this one of those that appeared in a youtube film I posted on the Trans Arabia thread, which included a brief shot of a pair of day-cabbed 6x4 Crusaders like this. Here’s a still:

Saudi Crusaders.PNG