LHD Scammell Crusaders

Suedehead:

robert1952:
Fancy me overlooking this fine example of a post-60s LHD British lorry! As far as I can ascertain - and the Scammell fraternity must put me right here if I am wrong - all the LHD Crusaders were supplied to the military in the form of a 6x4 unit with Rolls Royce Eagle 304 bhp engine and 15-speed Fuller gearbox. Of course, some eventually found their way into civvy-street as we will see here - and there were some pretty impressive examples, too. Robert :smiley:

In the second pic,is he pishing over the front of that Commer commando :confused:

Ha! The same thought occurred to me, too. It is, of course, a Scammell Crusader driver’s inalienable right to pish on Commer Commandos! :wink: Robert

From another thread:

FFBSW099.jpg

Portugal must have had some of these, then, because I took this picture (below) in Lisbon docks back in '86. Robert

img148.jpg

787788.jpg
bvvvvv58.jpg

Don’t reckon there ever was or will be a lorrie that looked more fit for the job then a crusader… :wink:

Cheers, Patrick

Going a bit of topic with the last pic Robert, but I can’t help it… :wink:

20160827_121652.jpg

20160827_120315.jpg

20160827_150637.jpg

pv83:
Don’t reckon there ever was or will be a lorrie that looked more fit for the job then a crusader… :wink:

Cheers, Patrick

Going a bit of topic with the last pic Robert, but I can’t help it… :wink:

You’re right there Patrick: the Crusader was a sturdy, good-looking grafter :wink: . I only wish I’d driven one! robert

Not LHD but one of the most beautiful restorations I have ever seen.
Owned and restored by Terry from Dover.

In good company… Locomotion en fête 2014.

Bonne nuit
David

Davidoff:

Bonne nuit
David

I agree: it’s a great restoration. I last saw it at Gaydon. robert

Davidoff:

Bonne nuit
David

What’s that on the trailer? Surely it’s not an Austin Allegro is it…? :unamused:

pv83:

Davidoff:

Bonne nuit
David

What’s that on the trailer? Surely it’s not an Austin Allegro is it…? :unamused:

That’s an Austin Maxi. Another one of Terry’s pristine restorations!
Am writng from a smartphone so cannot easily upload photos right now but will upload a close-up later on.

Well seems it worked out somehow. Here’s a first pic, taken somewhere on the ■■■■■■■ truck run, Sept 2015.

I should have some more…

Terry and his missus actually stayed in the maxi that night, the Scammell being a single bunk cabin.
Like the famous Citroen DS and a few other cars, the maxi’s front backrests could be reclined and thus offered a more or less crude bed.

Personnally I was glad i had a proper bunk with night heater :smiley:

Two scrumptious representatives of the British Leyland Group, don’t you think■■?

That’s it for now.

Good evening to all
David

Davidoff:

Two scrumptious representatives of the British Leyland Group, don’t you think■■?

Two representatives of English engineering indeed, nice to see that there’s still someone out there who’s interested in keeping an Austin Maxi on the road… :wink:

pv83:

Davidoff:

Two representatives of English engineering indeed, nice to see that there’s still someone out there who’s interested in keeping an Austin Maxi on the road… :wink:

I actually liked the Maxi and ran four in succession! The 5-speed 'box was still a bit of a novelty then and the room in a Maxi was phenomenal at that time. The 1750 transverse engine was up to the job, even if it did ■■■■ oil all over everyone else’s forecourts :laughing: Robert

pv83:

Davidoff:

Terry is a very dedicated owner and restorer. Believe it or not, I think his latest addition is an Austin PRINCESS in reasonably good nick, at least she is very restorable apparently. No pictures available just yet but I guess that will come in due course.
Terry is a prolific, talented and dedicated restorer / collector.

And the plan is that we once again have our reunion at Locomotion next year June. If any of you can make the trip from the UK, I can only recommend it. A great atmosphere indeed.

Davidoff:

pv83:

Davidoff:

Terry is a very dedicated owner and restorer. Believe it or not, I think his latest addition is an Austin PRINCESS in reasonably good nick, at least she is very restorable apparently. No pictures available just yet but I guess that will come in due course.
Terry is a prolific, talented and dedicated restorer / collector.

And the plan is that we once again have our reunion at Locomotion next year June. If any of you can make the trip from the UK, I can only recommend it. A great atmosphere indeed.

A princess■■? Thought they were all scrapped mate :laughing:
Shows proper determination though, to get it in better condition then when they left the factory…come to think of it, it’s probably not all that difficult since most of them came out in quite a state already :smiley:

robert1952:

pv83:

Davidoff:

I actually liked the Maxi and ran four in succession! The 5-speed 'box was still a bit of a novelty then and the room in a Maxi was phenomenal at that time. The 1750 transverse engine was up to the job, even if it did ■■■■ oil all over everyone else’s forecourts :laughing: Robert

That was just a neat feature Robert, to see where you’ve been and where you were heading to…quite clever lads back in the day :wink:
What was the one with the hydraulic suspension? Marina?

Geeky moment:The Maxi FTR(TR) is a Southampton registration number with the car probably supplied from Wrynhams at Stag Gates (traffic lights coming out of Southampton city centre). The BL dealer changed hands several times with famous names in the trade, Kenning, Sparshatts…but then again Wrynams had a Romsey depot too that would have used a TR registration as well. Geek over!