LEZ 2012

you may well be right rob
the other half has a vauxhall zafira 1.9 diesel with this crappy egr system where the dpf gets clogged up if not driven with a bit/lot of right foot!
folk moan about ad blue system but its a far better idea, this egr will cause major problems given a bit more time/wear
i can now wip the egr valve off sort and then re fit in no time now but as a result of how the car is driven the fuel mpg is not that good at around 38 mpg and suspect some of the trucks will be the same with this system

Just got rid of a Vivaro 1.9 over the EGR playing up for fun, got the 2 litre Vivaro now & so far so good.

I appreciate what your both saying, my point is many folks (a mate of mine included) where told AD-blue was the only answer for a Volvo to become euro 4, now I’m being told a particulate trap will be the answer, none of them seem to know what the ■■■■■ best but all manufacturers seem to know how to squeeze the last penny out of a haulier, which ■■■■■.

& yes I can just imagine the aggro its going to cause to a trucks performance, I remember Ruttle Plant getting some new Dafs & 1 did’nt make it from Chorley to St-Helens due to an aftermarket Eminox stack & some sensors fitted in it.

Rough times ahead for all I’m thinking, its either dig deep & get something newer or take a chance on these sons of dogs knowing there game. I’ll wait a while yet but won’t hold my breath.

I think what’s needed is a national boycott of any deliveries into London by all hauliers. Imagine all of us who supply the capital with deliveries on a daily basis refusing to enter with anything! I’m no fan of the snail munchers over the channel but its the sort of thing they would do and do properly. But, same as everything in this country no doubt we’ll all just drop our kecks, bend over and take it, same as always :imp:

moose1:
you may well be right rob
the other half has a vauxhall zafira 1.9 diesel with this crappy egr system where the dpf gets clogged up if not driven with a bit/lot of right foot!
folk moan about ad blue system but its a far better idea, this egr will cause major problems given a bit more time/wear
i can now wip the egr valve off sort and then re fit in no time now but as a result of how the car is driven the fuel mpg is not that good at around 38 mpg and suspect some of the trucks will be the same with this system

Theoretically, the vast majority of trucks will be on distance work where generally the engine gets a good work-out so they should be fairly safe from EGR/DPF issues. It tends to be diesel vehicles on short runs or driven like an old giffer that suffer the problems as the revs never get high enough to keep the exhaust gasses flowing through the system, hence why the EGR and engine get coked up. If the vehicle is fitted with a DPF then the same short runs prevent the exhaust from getting hot enough to re-gen and burn off the deposits so that gets clogged up as well and a year or so later you get a bill for £1500 for a new DPF.

Thank our Euro friends for all this BS. Back in the old days diesel vehicles never had any of this EGR/DPF crap and so the engines were generally bullet-proof and ultra reliable.

Anyway, back on topic… . :smiley:

Just don’t deliver in to London, stuff 'em.

fly sheet i think i would give it a while to see how others get on with these retro fit jobs, the problem will be how much they bump the price up as soon as everyone wants one!
i know the price of a good late euro 4/5 will be high as some of the dealers have been talking the job up for a long time and there is a lack of good used about, that being said the way diesel is going there may well yet be a few along later in the year!
sit tight and dont rush into owt yet, and another thing a good used euro 3 will still sell well if in good order as a lot of folk dont go near the poxy place anyway
moose

moose1:
fly sheet i think i would give it a while to see how others get on with these retro fit jobs, the problem will be how much they bump the price up as soon as everyone wants one!
i know the price of a good late euro 4/5 will be high as some of the dealers have been talking the job up for a long time and there is a lack of good used about, that being said the way diesel is going there may well yet be a few along later in the year!
sit tight and dont rush into owt yet, and another thing a good used euro 3 will still sell well if in good order as a lot of folk dont go near the poxy place anyway
moose

I’ll not be jumping in too quick Chap believe me, My old 06 LHD will be welcome everywhere apart from London Village when its time to sell, always buy LHD for that reason, well that & other road users safety :blush: . It was the same ■■■■ when they first annonced it nothing could go in then all of a sudden everything apart from a 240 Gardener was welcome for 2 years. Its just ■■■■■■■ as usual another poxy goverment swindle :imp:

fly sheet:

moose1:
moose

I’ll not be jumping in too quick Chap believe me, My old 06 LHD will be welcome everywhere apart from London Village when its time to sell, always buy LHD for that reason, well that & other road users safety :oops: . It was the same [zb] when they first annonced it nothing could go in then all of a sudden everything apart from a 240 Gardener was welcome for 2 years. Its just [zb] as usual another poxy goverment swindle :imp:

I heard it was so that you could get a better view of the totty on the pavement… :stuck_out_tongue: I must say from my own experiences of driving left hookers that is one of the few advantages of them on UK roads. :smiley:

I’ve given away my kerb crawling antics have’nt I :confused: :grimacing: :

Thomas Hardie only want £6700 to fit my new Stack/trap onto my FH held on by 2 straps & a clamp to turn it into Boris friendly, Bargain :grimacing:

My just wait until the (whispers) P I K E Y S’s are knocking the ones they’ve unbolted out for a monkey a go next January :laughing:

fly sheet:
Thomas Hardie only want £6700 to fit my new Stack/trap onto my FH held on by 2 straps & a clamp to turn it into Boris friendly, Bargain :grimacing:

My just wait until the (whispers) P I K E Y S’s are knocking the ones they’ve unbolted out for a monkey a go next January :laughing:

The market for these retrofit conversions is very finite as only a relatively small number of late model euro 3 trucks are viable candidates, anything older than about an 05-plate and you’re probably better off throwing the money at a new truck. Even then it is only a consideration if you actually do any London work.

So once the mad rush is over, I’m willing to bet that Eminox, Dinex etc will have a few ‘special offers’ on the table to use up the excess ‘stock’.

Incidentally, has anyone investigated the practicality of retrofitting the ad-blue systems to a Euro 3 truck, and whether this could be certified providing the emissions are within euro 4 tolerances? Probably not going to be viable admittedly.

ive been speaking to eminox this week and to convert my 05 euro 3 daf with twin upright eminox stacks
is guna cost me £7300 to do one with a single eminox stack is £5100
so were is the £3k-£4k conversions done i would like to no :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

eminox must be rubbing there hands together! did you put the twin stacks on in the first place?
and then to swop them again that would be over £10,000 in exhausts alone!
you’d need to go into the lez most days for the next god knows how long just to make exhaust money back

where do all of our old motors go ? malta, africa etc etc they must have clean air over there to be able to accept our none london freindly wagons!!! ‘is it me’

BSERIES PAUL:
where do all of our old motors go ? malta, africa etc etc they must have clean air over there to be able to accept our none london freindly wagons!!! ‘is it me’

Its not you Chap its just ■■■■■■■■ when India & China start to behave maybe its worth us trying :smiling_imp:

fly sheet:
Its not you Chap its just [zb], when India & China start to behave maybe its worth us trying :smiling_imp:

^ +1

44 Tonne Ton:
'Kin hell! What do they do? Think of a number and add a zero?

Well the reason for that is understandable: tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/17705.aspx

Just imagine there’s no filter for your vehicle on the market. You or your workshop people are skilled enough to e.g. adapt a filter that’s already out for a different engine to yours and get good results.

You’d have to become an “approved manufacturer” (ISO 9001 cert etc…), get the device approved and then if you fit the “approved device” yourself you need to become an “approved fitter” though this is something every smart mechanic could do. Just imagine how much this costs!

It’s once again one of those ideas from people with no clue about real life, they decide from behind their desk where they see life through a pile of papers and they are keen to keep power and control over as much as possible. Hence this excessive regulation. It drives smaller manufacturers out of business (together with shose affected who can’t afford the filters).

Why is there no “single vehicle approval scheme” or something similar to it? So every owner could “invent” a good filter himself and get it certified. It could bring down costs and eliminate all those bureaucrats from the process. But no, that’s not how those modern, “green” governments work.

Has any one been to a member of the London Assembly? I’ve scheduled an appointment, awaiting confirmation.
But they’ll just think it’s all all right if nobody complains and shows them the real impact.

Steph

PS: Isn’t anyone thinking of staging a protest at the London Assembly against this excessive bureaucracy and regulation that costs us thousands?

44 Tonne Ton:
This might be useful to those running older trucks. Does anyone know the costs involved in fitting and certifying a filter as mentioned here?

tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/17701.aspx

DPF (diesel particulate filters) have been a total nightmare on EPA07 trucks in the North American market, there they’re integrated into the engine management systems and regularly clog up and shut the engine down, they’re one of the reasons CAT pulled out of the truck engine market and there are class action lawsuits against CAT, ■■■■■■■ and Detroit over the DPF systems.

From what I’ve learned through both research and personal experience, I would not put one on any truck of mine if they were giving them away :open_mouth:

I seem to remember some of the bfs kenworths sat revving there tots off cos of them traps nmm, they’d be 2007 & sure they had cats in, Tony w had one I recall. Dunno what the answer is tbhwy

fly sheet:
I seem to remember some of the bfs kenworths sat revving there tots off cos of them traps nmm, they’d be 2007 & sure they had cats in, Tony w had one I recall. Dunno what the answer is tbhwy

The answer is to stay out of London :open_mouth: That’s one of the reasons I got rid of my motors, being a native of that fine city meant that I would have to turn my motors around far too often, buying new lorries just to keep the tossers in the GLC happy or whatever it’s called now is not good business :unamused: