Leyton and steele bloxwich

Hi Jason, my grandad and uncle both drove for L&S. My grandad more or less from the start until he retired. Used to love going out with him in his Volvo during school holidays! I’ve got some of his old photos, I’ll find them out and post as soon as I find them!

My grandad was the transport manager here back in the 80’s,anyone know where i could find any pics of the lorries?? or the yard?? they were based in leamore lane bloxwich,walsall west midlands,also tarmac tippers from any date and also starr roadway’s of bilston,thanks,jase.

JASON280:
My grandad was the transport manager here back in the 80’s,anyone know where i could find any pics of the lorries?? or the yard?? they were based in leamore lane bloxwich,walsall west midlands,also tarmac tippers from any date and also starr roadway’s of bilston,thanks,jase.

I remember subbing work to them Jase, but sorry I’ve no photos. Didn’t they run some 8-legger flats? I think there might be one in one of Pete Davies’ books.

JASON280:

Hii JASON280,
Bonkey Dollocks has a thread on the photo forum with loads of pics of Tarmac tippers,otherwise there are plenty of newr tarmac tippers on the Welsh Border thread.
Cheers Dave.

Here’s one Jason,courtesy of a Peter Davies book.

I remember the company Jase because we used to supply tarmac to Walsall Met at Norfolk Place etc but I have no pics I’m afraid.

Pete.

Chris Webb:
Here’s one Jason,courtesy of a Peter Davies book.

Thats a nice B series Chris,how do you scan them on to here. I have loads of hardback truck and lorry books here,but can’t get them under the scanner…
Cheers Dave.

Hi Jase, : I used to do a bit of subbing for them, smaller bits on my four wheelers. Knew both Sid and Des quite well, lovely fella’s, always very helpful. I was really surprised when they wrapped up, couldn’t believe it!. I think Neil Squires took on their work and they went on for him in the yard, so I still saw them sometimes as I subbed for him as well. :laughing: Mind you I didn’t get any time for taking photos so not a lot of good to you am I !! :blush:

used to know a driver by the surname of winters used to live in hardy road on the goscote he used to work for them !!

thanks for all the replies fella’s good to here the story’s,and thanks to chris for the pic…quality loving that!!!,my grandad also worked for 20th century a clearing house■■? so maybe some of you got some work through there,norman farlow was my grandad,yes when sid and des packed up all the work,did go to squires of bloxwich,neil’s son,ian had just been made transport manager when i started there back in 1994,he’s now at mainline haulage i believe.

JASON280:
thanks for all the replies fella’s good to here the story’s,and thanks to chris for the pic…quality loving that!!!,my grandad also worked for 20th century a clearing house■■? so maybe some of you got some work through there,norman farlow was my grandad,yes when sid and des packed up all the work,did go to squires of bloxwich,neil’s son,ian had just been made transport manager when i started there back in 1994,he’s now at mainline haulage i believe.

Hi Jason.glad you liked the photo.
I remember 20th Century Transport had an office/yard somewhere near B’ham city centre.I backloaded off them a couple of times for Sheffield but I can’t recall where they sent me to load - possibly it was Cannings who had a depot in Sheffield,but I can’t be certain :unamused:

20th century transport was a subsiduary of starr roadways bilston.