Leyland Beaver1956

Memory Lane again…

I had a 1956 Leyland Beaver, which I never liked.

Had a tandem axle tanker trailer which I used to carry either Ammonium sulphate liquor from Widnes to farms for fertilizer or spent sulphuric acid from Stanlow to Linsey and Kesteven fertilizers in Lincoln [imagine loading yourself unsupervised in Shell on nights now !!!]
On contract to Ashworth Chemicals of Horwich,nr Bolton.
No M62 in those days, it was Woodhead.

The wagon / driver relationship came to an end at Flouch crossroads. [still got the newspaper cutting!] ooppps…no brakes.

As I said, never liked the bloody thing anyway…it ended its days in Ernest Thorpes ? , who recovered it.

Its the Governments fault for not having driving tests for hgv`s then…just gave you a little dinky brown book with your name in it.

Dont suppose anyone has pics of a 1956 Beaver?

dashman:
Memory Lane again…

I had a 1956 Leyland Beaver, which I never liked.

Had a tandem axle tanker trailer which I used to carry either Ammonium sulphate liquor from Widnes to farms for fertilizer or spent sulphuric acid from Stanlow to Linsey and Kesteven fertilizers in Lincoln [imagine loading yourself unsupervised in Shell on nights now !!!]
On contract to Ashworth Chemicals of Horwich,nr Bolton.
No M62 in those days, it was Woodhead.

The wagon / driver relationship came to an end at Flouch crossroads. [still got the newspaper cutting!] ooppps…no brakes.

As I said, never liked the bloody thing anyway…it ended its days in Ernest Thorpes ? , who recovered it.

Its the Governments fault for not having driving tests for hgv`s then…just gave you a little dinky brown book with your name in it.

Dont suppose anyone has pics of a 1956 Beaver?

What year did you and the Beaver part company at Flouch? There used to be a haulier at that x-roads called Flouch Transport and they used to carry those big round Guinness containers out of L’pool,I hope you didn’t contaminate the Guinness with that Sulphuric/ammonium sulphate when it went adrift. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Any chance of seeing the newspaper cutting,I’m a long - serving Woodhead driver. :smiley: I’ll look for a 1956 Beaver,BRS had a few.

Allright
I will dig it out and post it.
It was in the Sheffield Star,after the crash I went into the pub across the road and it was on the telly on the news…fame at last!

The newspaper cutting said something like…Driver stays at wheel as tanker overturns…hero :open_mouth:

Just going too quick, should never have used Scottish overdrive. :blush:

dashman:
Allright
It was in the Sheffield Star,after the crash I went into the pub across the road and it was on the telly on the news…fame at last!

The newspaper cutting said something like…Driver stays at wheel as tanker overturns…hero :open_mouth:

I’ll look forward to that post - we all used Aberdeen Overdrive or Silent Sixth (seventh if you were lucky) at one time or another.I believe that right turn to Sheffield is a roundabout now and has been moved further down the road - not been over there for years.
The boozer would have been “the Flouch Inn” which I think is still going,maybe your picture is in a frame on the wall. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Chris Webb:

dashman:
Allright

I’ll look forward to that post - we all used Aberdeen Overdrive or Silent Sixth (seventh if you were lucky) at one time or another.I believe that right turn to Sheffield is a roundabout now and has been moved further down the road - not been over there for years.
The boozer would have been “the Flouch Inn” which I think is still going,maybe your picture is in a frame on the wall. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

This Beaver is from your neck of the woods “ED” reg was Warrington I think?

Here is the newspaper cutting !

Graham Edge did a lovely little book on the Beaver from the late Twenties to the late Sixties, in the Commercial Vehicles Archive Series along with AEC Mercury, Mandator, etc. Roundoak Books should still have some. Cheers Franky.

dashman:
Here is the newspaper cutting !

Hi Eric,what year was that incident,I think I remember it?

Hi Steve
I think it would be 1969? maybe 1970 ! but I cant remember…some detective work needed on the other stories on that page.Yes it was the Flouch Inn now you remind me,I seem to think it was some sort of council depot that I ploughed into ! [I see your in the I.O.M. look at my post under Dodge D308]

thanks for the book tip Franky, I will try and dig it out.
Eric

Chris Webb:

Chris Webb:

dashman:
Allright

This Beaver is from your neck of the woods “ED” reg was Warrington I think?

Yeah “ED” was Warrington reg, but was allocated to Queensferry Depot, North Wales by time pic was taken.

I had one older than that and was a part owner in another