Leyland 505 engine - what HP was it?

A mate of mine often tells me of an old 4 wheeler flat he used to drive for “Feathers” of Bradford years ago. Apparently the engine was a leyland 505 that was transplanted from a coach. He will have it that said motor put out 505 horse power. I question this. I did suggest that it may have been the different gearing in the diff that made it, in his own words “a ■■■■■■■ flyin’ machine” and not 500+ ponies.

Could any of our more experienced members shed any light on this ? :confused:

Most of the 505 engines were I believe AEC, fitted to a lot of different makes in the sixties. As Stravainger says the mechanics will come up with the answer.

I believe some Bedford TK’s had a 500 series engine in at one time.I do remember seeing one.

Dave the Renegade:
Most of the 505 engines were I believe AEC, fitted to a lot of different makes in the sixties. As Stravainger says the mechanics will come up with the answer.

Correct.So as already said 505 wasn’t the HP-what about the AEC 760? I think it referred to the cubic capacity :question:

bestbooties,(can’t do a multiple quote on here) Most TKs had the 466 engine(Bedford),but 1 or 2 ‘oddballs’ round here had a Leyland 400-not doubting the 500 though.

If you look at the table above you will see the AEC engine model was it capacity so the 505 being 5 litre i doubt it had 500hp or perhaps the Leyland group
would have put it the Crusader & Marathon

Cheers fella’s, that’ll cheer 'im up no end ! :grimacing:

Was this the engine with no cylinder head?

kr79:

Yes, the infamous “Fixed Head 500”. We had some in Weatherill loading shovels, they were not Leyland’s finest hour! I am guessing that the 500 referred to cubic inches, like the Perkins engine numbering, 354, 154, 236 etc.

Pete.

kr79:

It did have a cylinder head,but it was welded on!

browncow2:
bestbooties,(can’t do a multiple quote on here) Most TKs had the 466 engine(Bedford),but 1 or 2 ‘oddballs’ round here had a Leyland 400-not doubting the 500 though.

Yes more than likely a 400,I know the one or two I saw many years ago were definitely NOT Bedford lumps.
I once ,only once,saw a Bedford TK 8 legger,never saw what engine was in that one though.I don’t know what sort of weight it ran at but I think the standard lump would have struggled to move it when empty.

The engine in question was actualy of AEC manufacturer known as an AV505 which is near enough the cubic capacity in inches [8.2 litres] and was also fitted in Guy and to lesser extent Albions and no doubt a few others including Seddon who definitely used its predesessor the AV470 before going over to Perkins power for their 16 tonners . We had one at home on livestock transport and was a total powerhouse as the man suggests, though I personally never drove it beyond the farm yard, I hasten to add.
Bedford offered Leyland engines in TK’s up to the mid 60’s at least. I believe it was the Bedford TM that had their own 500 series engine, this was nowt to do with the Leyland fixed-head 500 which generally was troublesome. I had later 502 in a Buffalo wagon and drag which kept going well enough though.

[quot by boden » Sat May 30, 2009 7:50 pm

The engine in question was actualy of AEC manufacturer known as an AV505 which is near enough the cubic capacity in inches [8.2 litres] and was also fitted in Guy and to lesser extent Albions and no doubt a few others including Seddon who definitely used its predesessor the AV470 before going over to Perkins power for their 16 tonners e]
[/quote]
Hi boys
My father brought this new 1968. Fitted with a AEC 471 engine but soon after having it he brought some fuel at a garage near Coedpoeth, Wrexham. the owner of the garage had tipped the fuel tank up to get more out of it which unforturnetly for father included water from the bottom. Hence it bug…d the injector pump. AEC’s couldn’t surply another one at the time so a new 505 pump was fitted.Now that was a flyer…

Regards Keith.

kr79:

Wasnt they standard fitment in Leyland Buffalos, piles of pooh iirc

Bedford 500 engine was indeed a Beford engine,nothing to do with Leyland.
Drove a Tm rigid with one, lucky if you could get 70,000 miles out of one without a rebuild.

bestbooties:
I believe some Bedford TK’s had a 500 series engine in at one time.I do remember seeing one.

thats right bedfords had the 500,they fitted them in the 16 tonner & they had the 330 which they fitted in the 7.5 tonner which was a much better engine & most of them went for export.
andy.

Bedford had 300 330 and 381 fitted in the TK, which ran at 14 ton gross until 1968, when the plating law came in. they had the 466 in the KM which later had the blue series 500 series engine. there was nothing around with anything like 500bhp in
this country those days.

If the engine was a 505 it was most likely an AEC as fitted in the Mercury 152 bhp my Dad had one new in 68. the fixed head leyland 500 was aload of crap, if you overrun them downhill, the conrods would come through the side, had this happen twice when i was a drivers mate on Banbury Buildings, driver abuse? yes!!

I took my class 1 in a TM2800 with the Bedford 500 engine, 172bhp if I recall, and there was also a turbo version at 208bhp. I seem to remember that the KM 8 wheeler which bestbooties mentions had a Detroit two stroke of some sort.

The 505 was the AEC engine with rotary pump 149.hp
I.think the LYNX had 500 fix head, no good every thing had to come through the sump.
HH.

According to a Google search and probably those old hands who have built Scotts amazing site can confirm this. the AEC AV505 engine, was developing 151hp at 2,400rpm.

BEDFORD 220 ENGIN DRA 4CY,80HP,FIT 3614CC,J1,J2,J3
BEDFORD 220T ENGIN DRB 4CY,90HP,TURBO REPLACE 220,214
BEDFORD 330 ENGIN DRA 6CY,125HP,FIT TK,5420CC
BEDFORD 330T ENGIN DRB TURBO 6CY,101KW,2600 RPM
BEDFORD 381 ENG D 6245CC KG60 FIT 466
BEDFORD 466 ENGIN DRA 6CY,140HP,FIT KG,KH,KM,5420CC
BEDFORD 500 ENGIN DRA 6CY,155HP,8198CC*
BEDFORD 500T ENGIN DRA 6CY,195HP,FIT KG,KH,KM,BUSES

And as someone said. we could only dream of 500 horses :smiley: