Letter of Intended prosecution

I got a letter on Friday saying I had been snapped at 69 in a 60 on the A4146 at great brickhill in my car,most of that road is dual carriageway with only maybe a mile being single,I can’t remember seeing a van that day so ime thinking did they get me on the dual carriageway section from the bridge which is a 70 limit,so ime reading there small print and the only way I can see the photo or find out the location is by going to court which then excludes me from doing the speed awareness course,so of course ime going to take a length from them to keep a clean licence,but am I being ripped off!!! I will never know which really peas me off,and to anyone who says I deserve it for speeding how do you know I was?i don’t mind being punished if ime in the wrong and I don’t even think a traffic car would have stopped me if I was being followed.

Ask for the photo evidence, presumably it was a camera van.

Juddian:
Ask for the photo evidence, presumably it was a camera van.

The only way you can see the photo is by going to court which then excludes you from attending a speed awareness course

Ask yourself 2 questions fella.

1. What are the chances that they have got the speed limit wrong at the point they have snapped you at?

2. Are you absolutely sure you didn’t see a van, on the single carriageway sections?

Both seem highly unlikely from what you have posted in the OP. Eat the humble pie and take the course.

69 in a 60 is an absolutely heinous crime. You should have your license stripped away and burnt infront of you before your dragged through the streets as every parent available chucks rotten fruit at you because “your endangering our kids. What about the children?”. You should then have your legs removed to ensure you never get behind the wheel again you maniac.
Nah in all seriousness Im the biggest critic of speeders and have little sympathy for anyone caught who then bleats about it but 69 in a 60 is harsh when you cant challenge it if you genuinely believe you are innocent. I had to accept 3 points and a £150 for “using a handheld device while in control of a motor vehicle” ( I moved it from my dashboard to the centre console while stopped at traffic lights 30 seconds after exiting a car park. Funnily enough none of that was mentioned in the police report.) Didnt qualify for legal aid as I am a muppett who works for a living and couldn’t afford a lawyer and was actually told “if your license is clean you are as well accepting the points and fine”. They have you by the balls in situations like this and it sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place too. You could take your chances and request the evidence and the case will get chucked out if their is none. If there IS evidence however then im afraid your screwed,and deservedly so if all is correct im afraid

Here’s a link to the ACPO guidelines which suggests a speed awareness course might be offered for 69 in a 60 (scroll down to page :sunglasses:.

If you ask nicely when you return the paper and the course is offered you avoid the points and needn’t notify your insurer. (I took this when a van got me 4 years ago).

Buckstones:
Here’s a link to the ACPO guidelines which suggests a speed awareness course might be offered for 69 in a 60 (scroll down to page :sunglasses:.

If you ask nicely when you return the paper and the course is offered you avoid the points and needn’t notify your insurer. (I took this when a van got me 4 years ago).

Did you forget to add something :question:

fingermissing:

Buckstones:

I should have added this was in my car, a rural road which used to be NSL but had been dropped to 50 - should also say I found the course interesting, since then passed IAM test and a bit more careful of limits!

fingermissing:

Buckstones:

Just noticed I forgot to add the link - brain fade (or senile decay!) Here it is: preview.tinyurl.com/krrgv74

Woodpecker1:
The only way you can see the photo is by going to court which then excludes you from attending a speed awareness course

Utterly and totally wrong advice!.

In Greater Manchester you can request a photograph and get a link to view the picture on line on the GMP website before you admit or deny the offence.

My eldest son used to be in some sort of competition for collecting speeding tickets, and every time he got one, he got a nice little picture with it. It had date, time, place and speed on it. If it can be done here, why can’t it be done there ? Good old England, the land of red tape.

could you not confirm that you were in the vicinity at the time,and would they oblige with photo proof as to who was driving stating both you and your misses cant remember who was driving and who was in the back seat having a kip?

there should be a camera location indicated … and that should tell you where the camera was …ie its a number so it’ll tell you what sort of camera the test date of it etc etc and where if a mobile where it parks as I believe that have specific places that they need to park …

after being caught twice at 37 in a 30 i bought one of the chinese satnavs that gives me the verbals if i speed. this really works for me, the nagging voice every few seconds means i drop my speed.
i know it works because recently i was driving a car without it and i was speeding 10 miles over unintentinally within 5 miles.

It does seem a little harsh the way ‘speeding’ is dealt with considering what you read about the punishment for people with no insurance or licence, wreckless driving etc etc. 69 in a 70 with todays vehicles isn’t a major crime is it? Unfortunately the replacing of Police officers with autonomous machines has taken away the discretion of the officers decision that you were doing it in a safe manner and a finger wagging will suffice.

How I have kept a clean licence I don’t know because I ride motorbikes. When driving my car it fortunately has a built in ‘speed limiter’ I can set so it won’t go past that speed and I use it all the time. Usually means I have a queue of traffic frustrated behind me (including HGVs at times) but I can’t afford to get points.

Hopefully you’ll get a speed awareness course. I’ve done two and found them beneficial and actually worth attending. Maybe if it could count as 7 hours towards your DCPC it’d be a bit better :open_mouth:

Revenue Raising at it’s best - Many, Many years ago there was a man called ■■■■ Turpin !!!

As a expat now living in Perth Australia the answer here to road fatalities is increase speed camera’s - never mind about approving the standard of how people drive - Today I had 2 people come from the 3rd lane of the motorway straight across lane 2 and 1 as they had missed there turning - all because they didn’t want to tuck in behind me and other traffic. Not only did I nearly remove them from the planet so did the guy sitting in lane 1.

Yes agreed excessive speed in the wrong place can result in fatalities but 9 kph over in a modern car !!!. I believe that education in the driving standard and stopping those that find it hard to drive at an acceptable standard, would be a far better use of Tax Payers money.

My solution is to use cruise control and anyone who wishes to speed please pass on the right. !!! :laughing: :laughing:

I asked for photographic evidence when I got caught a few months ago. I also asked for proof of the device calibration certificate. I was sent the photograph and was told the certificate was available to view online. Couldn’t get away with it.
Oh and by the way, ■■■■ Turpin was a teacher when he was arrested!!!

Isn’t there a certain leeway to allow for inaccuracies in the camera measuring of the speed?

If it’s “20%” then at 15% over the speed limit, there might not be a case to answer.

I’d say it’s important to find out at least if a mobile camera or static old truvelo type camera that’s snapped you here…
The older cameras have been known to snap morrisons wagons going up detling hill approaching Jade’s crossing “doing 74mph”… :open_mouth:

I don’t have much confidence in these older “in your face” cameras - put it that way…
I believe they only flash “once” for a start - how do you measure someone’s speed with a single photo, and without that “ruler” painted on the road surface with a static camera FFS… :unamused:

Winseer:
]
I don’t have much confidence in these older “in your face” cameras - put it that way…
I believe they only flash “once” for a start - how do you measure someone’s speed with a single photo, and without that “ruler” painted on the road surface with a static camera FFS… :unamused:

I wondered this – apparently the speed is measured by sensors in the road, the flash is for the photo for evidence. They’ll work in both directions, that’s why they’re sometimes on the other side looking across at you.
Bernard

peterm:
My eldest son used to be in some sort of competition for collecting speeding tickets, and every time he got one, he got a nice little picture with it. It had date, time, place and speed on it. If it can be done here, why can’t it be done there ? Good old England, the land of red tape.

Yep, same here in Alberta, summons with picture, time, date, speed limit, leaves no doubt but no points, just hefty fine.