Let the Loading begin

Tomorrow I shall be loading one of my trucks with five water filled IBCs.

I’m going have one at front in the middle then two further back side to side and the last two over the rear axle.

How are other trainers loading their trucks?

Paul

Straight down the middle in a line. Hard work but ultimate load distribution.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

So will they be tight up to each other?

Peter Smythe:
Straight down the middle in a line. Hard work but ultimate load distribution.

Can’t see why anyone would do it differently to this

We have gone 2 across just behind the rear axle. 2 across in front of those and 1 single in the middle in front of those 2.
We would have liked to put the single against the headboard but the weighbridge ticket informed us that we only had 850kg to spare over the front axle so we went back a bit.

We have restrained the IBC’s by having shackle bolts drilled throught the chassis and using 5 tonne straps which will have to restrain the weight of just 1 IBC each. We have also prevented forward movement further by having large steel tubes sticking up from under the chassis into the body between each set of containers.

I am taking the vehicle and trailer off the road from Monday 11th to fill the IBC’s and evaluate any likely changes to the training as a result.

To be honest am quite looking forward to it. We might start day 1 of the Cat C course over the airfield where we have a 0.8 mile runway available with a roundabout at each end to get used to braking and roundabout approach speed.

My thinking is biggest percentage of the weight towards back axle.

Also they travel better side by side.

Paul

There’s more than one way to skin this particular rabbit. We’ll all do what we think is best and we’ll be happy with that. I can say that my single line ride superbly. I’ve done my best to get wheels up on a roundabout and there’s no sign of that! Apart from starting in a lower gear, there’s virtually no difference.

Sadly, another missed opportunity from the DSA. Should, IMO, have been substantially heavier to be meaningful. But that’s just me. Rules is rules, so we’ll work to them.

John, you’ll find it a total waste of time on the airfield. Like I say, use a lower gear (which is obvious) and that’s about it.

Exactly what I said in a previous post. It’s a flat secure load (apart from a little sloshing)

Yes, thus zero scope for movement.

The thought of carrying 5 tonnes of water is worse than the reality. I don’t see any problem; apart from using a lower gear to move off, the driving techniques we teach will simply transfer.

Peter Smythe:

Yes, thus zero scope for movement.

The thought of carrying 5 tonnes of water is worse than the reality. I don’t see any problem; apart from using a lower gear to move off, the driving techniques we teach will simply transfer.

Make sure they’re full to the brim so they don’t slosh about and give you sea sickness.

So now loaded my 12 ton MAN, two at the front a foot away from head board then one in the middle and two over rear axle.

So had to change my original plan as I felt the body was a touch low at the rear.

Been to a local weigh bridge to make sure the front axle was not overweight.

18 ton Atego and trailer to load next week.

My “straight line” method is good as it minimises body roll with having no weight on the sides. Can’t do better for centre of gravity as far as I can see.

First days’ training done today. Complete newbie on C and another which was CE both had no prob.

Not practical to do the line in my short bodied MAN but will do it in my Atego, it will also be easier to strap down as it’s a box van.

Totally agree with peters comments on how it drives.

Paul

We’ve been running 2 identical vehicle all week, one loaded the other not,and will make a comparison tomorrow after they both test.

Having spoken to the trainers and driven the loaded one myself there isn’t going to be a massive difference regarding handling - gear selection occasionally - but nothing to panic about.

John

ps - jury is still out on the Auto gearbox though :unamused:

You have to be careful that the front axle is not overloaded especially on the 12 ton rigids!

Trainers who have put a single line of ibcs down the middle have found that the front axle is overloaded.

burnie1:
You have to be careful that the front axle is not overloaded especially on the 12 ton rigids!

Trainers who have put a single line of ibcs down the middle have found that the front axle is overloaded.

Yes quite right, I actually moved my front 2 a little further back today taking a little more weight of the font axle.

On my 18ton Atego I put a empty IBC on the front then 5 in a straight line tight up to each other so to spread the weight evenly.

Paul

Apparently not so - according to our local council weighbridge ticket. True, it’s not got a lot of tolerance on the front axle, but perfectly safe and legal. Drives and handles perfectly so I see no need to compromise the centre of gravity by changing it.

Each to their own!

My max front axle weight is 4450 kg when I weighed it it was 4200 kg so in the limits.

However the steering seemed a little heavy s that’s why I moved it back a touch.

Wasn’t possible to load in a line.

There’s more than one way to skin this particular rabbit. We’ll all do what we think is best and we’ll be happy with that.

Whilst this thread is interesting (we all want to know what the other bloke’s up to!) I hope it doesn’t lead to suggestions that a selection of trainers - who are all experienced drivers - need assistance in how to load a truck!! I repeat my quote above.

Peter Smythe:

There’s more than one way to skin this particular rabbit. We’ll all do what we think is best and we’ll be happy with that.

Whilst this thread is interesting (we all want to know what the other bloke’s up to!) I hope it doesn’t lead to suggestions that a selection of trainers - who are all experienced drivers - need assistance in how to load a truck!! I repeat my quote above.

Errmmm not asking for assistance how to load a truck, merely sharing my experiences and thoughts on the subject which maybe helpful to other trainers!

Paul