Legal?

This is the 7.5 tonner I drive at work from time to time. I was assured this load was legal but I’m curious as to your views as we all know what management are like :laughing:

There’s four of those beams on the back, each 12m long and about a foot wide as well as a load of smaller beams. I’d say I was just legal weight-wise. These beams stuck out 2mtrs both ends and had a marker board at the back and (for some reason) the numpty in the pic wanted some horrible plastic tape at the front.

Should I have told them where to go?

Was strange to drive, having to watch for “swing-out” front and back! :unamused:

Between 2m and 3.05m it requires an end marker at the back and an end and side marker on the front.

Very technical question

What was the weight?
Boards would have needed fitting however i would of thought that there would be a max overhang allowed.
May of needed to inform the police of the route

The type of vehicle that would draw the attention of the traffic police and vosa. You need to be sure as you are responsible as the driver

ok, soprobably more needed at the front :unamused:

Thinking about it, someone said those big beams were .8tonnes soo, 3.6t plus the rest, I had about 4.5-5t on, bit dodgy that :confused:

oh, and it was 12" high at the front.

From (distant) memory, I seem to recall two metres overhang being permitted at the rear and one metre at the front.

Anything more than that and you are getting into the realms of Abnormal Indivisible Loads, which in this case wouldn’t apply, as the Operator would simply be told to use a longer vehicle.
:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Provided you use the markers suggested by mrpj, the measurements you give should be legal.

On the question of weight, let’s just say that I would not like to be the one being ordered to a weighbridge by VOSA…

burnie1:
Very technical question

What was the weight?
Boards would have needed fitting however i would of thought that there would be a max overhang allowed.
May of needed to inform the police of the route

The type of vehicle that would draw the attention of the traffic police and vosa. You need to be sure as you are responsible as the driver

From the piece of paper I was shown and what I remember from theory test, I’m allowed upto 2m overhang either end but need the relevent markers / attendant / police etc But, The theory test covers very little to do with 7.5tonners, hence the question.

I made it clear I was unsure and I was assured it was legal, just.

darkseeker:
I had about 4.5-5t on, bit dodgy that :confused:

Yes, I’d say that’s going to be too much on a 7.5t.

Remember it is your licence and you have to pay the fine as well as your boss who could lose there operators licence if they have one

Do you know what the payload is on that vehicle?

mrpj:

darkseeker:

Me too mate, to be honest, it’s only just occured to me. That’s guessing on the high side of course. But Sometimes I’m greatful for being a small lad :laughing:

mrpj:

darkseeker:

I had a 10 tonner flat at one time and max load was 5.5 tonnes

Hi Darkseeker

If the forward projection exceeds 2m but does not exceed 3.05m you should:
Fit an end marker board
Fit side marker boards each side of the projection
Carry an attendant.

If the rearward projection exceeds 1m but does not exceed 2m then it only needs to be made clearly visible. If it exceeds 2m but does not exceed 3.05m then you need to fit an end marker board.

Hope this helps.

couldn’t make much sense of the document, one line seemed to say 9t max, another seemed to say 7.5t and there were axle weights too.

saying that though, I could well have been looking at the wrong thing all together. I’ve a lot to learn and the people at work that SHOULD know, seem to have an, erm opinion, which can be far from right.

Like the guy in the pic, he looks after the tacho’s but I asked him this the other day;

I stop to unload and put the tacho to other work, is that included in my limit of 9/10 hours or is it just time spent driving?

He seemed confused as to why I’d put it onto other work then commented “technicly, it’s a break” :open_mouth:

It was obviously a (very) distant memory. In a galaxy far, far away… :laughing:

LIST OF PUBLIC WEIGHBRIDGES IN LICOLNSHIRE
:wink:

darkseeker:
couldn’t make much sense of the document, one line seemed to say 9t max, another seemed to say 7.5t and there were axle weights too.

I presume you mean the plate; it’s the gross weight which you use.

What you could do is take the truck unladen with a full tank of diesel to a weigh bridge.
Get it weighed with you in it. This will give you your kerbside weight.

Take this figure awy from 7.5 tonne and this will give you you payload.

Make a note of it and stick it your cab.

7.5t vehicle tend not to have a pyload any greater than 3.5 tonnes

It is amazing how many people think that a 7.5t truck can carry 7.5 tones!

ah, no, I was looking at a sort of paper document attached to the bodywork just inside the cab, like the one on a trailer. Might have a vosa symbol on it.

lol @ krankee

burnie1:
What you could do is take the truck unladen with a full tank of diesel to a weigh bridge.
Get it weighed with you in it. This will give you your kerbside weight.

Take this figure awy from 7.5 tonne and this will give you you payload.

Make a note of it and stick it your cab.

7.5t vehicle tend not to have a pyload any greater than 3.5 tonnes

It is amazing how many people think that a 7.5t truck can carry 7.5 tones!

Lol, I’m not one of them. I did think it would be ok for four tons ish though, guessing the truck weighs arround 3.5