Legal?

Sorry to disagree with you Burnie1 but kerbside weight is the unladen weight of the vehicle without a driver or other crew members.

obi-wan:
Sorry to disagree with you Burnie1 but kerbside weight is the unladen weight of the vehicle without a driver or other crew members.

Funnily enough, it got used to weigh some scrap in in the last couple of days so I can probably find out quite easily.

What am I looking for then with this plate? (for future reference) I’m going to need to know. A picture would be very helpful.

Most 7.5s can only carry 3 to 3.5 tonnes some even under 3 tonnes.

As for your tacho question mate drivings driving simple as, when your stopped your on other work most of the time or break as and when your having breaks. POA as well if you are in such a position as too use it.

Im less conviced by the load security, whats actually stopping those beams sliding?

what stops it sliding the guy in the pic does anyone can see that but then again the extra weight may make you illegal so does he jump off at the weigh bridge :smiley:

aka tiny

lol, I hadn’t finished strapping it when I took the pic, there were two more straps (top and bottom) that sort of went round them.

I don’t think they’d’ve gone far though, they’d sort of sunk into the wood on the head/tail boards and there’s stops on the ends if you look carefully.

Yeah, that’s about all the guy’s any good for - dead weight :laughing:

darkseeker:
What am I looking for then with this plate? (for future reference) I’m going to need to know. A picture would be very helpful.

I hope this helps darkseeker: :grimacing:
This plate is from a 2-axle 18t rigid.

Next is the definition of unladen weight (ULW)
ULW is the weight of the vehicle including the body, but NOT including water, fuel, spare wheel and any tools and loose equipment.

Kerbside weight.
(Now the vehicle is somewhat heavier, but still not carrying a load.)
Kerbside weight is the ULW PLUS water, fuel, spare wheel and any tools and loose equipmentt.

GVW
GVW is the kerbside weight PLUS the load being carried.
Now the vehicle is loaded, but the maximum legal weight is limited (under C&U Regs) to the maximum gross weight shown on the plate, which I’ve indicated.

Is it clearer now :question: :wink:

:slight_smile: thankyou very much.

Soo, gross weight minus curbweight is what I’m interested in?

looking at that load in may not be overweight, hard to tell as beams weigh very different amounts depending on the thickness of the steel, when I worked for Parker steel we had a couple of 7.5 tonners and they always looked like that when they went out.
With regard to the overhang obi-wan has got it spot on. If I was loading those beams I would have had less out the front and more out the back, junctions and double decker buses can be a problem with forward projections

obi-wan:
If the forward projection exceeds 2m but does not exceed 3.05m you should:

Fit an end marker board
Fit side marker boards each side of the projection
Carry an attendant.

If the rearward projection exceeds 1m but does not exceed 2m then it only needs to be made clearly visible. If it exceeds 2m but does not exceed 3.05m then you need to fit an end marker board.

Kerbside weight.
Kerbside weight is the ULW PLUS water, fuel, spare wheel and any tools and loose equipmentt.

And the only way to find that out is to take it to a weighbridge when fully fuelled but not loaded. - I think it also includes the weight of the driver BUT not sure on that point.

darkseeker:
:slight_smile: thankyou very much.

Soo, gross weight minus curbweight is what I’m interested in?

Hi darkseeker, yes that’s about it mate, but the GVW includes the driver too. :wink:

So really it’s:
Add together the kerbside weight + the weight of the driver…
Then subtract that from the stated gross weight on the plate, which gives you the weight that you’re allowed to load (payload.)

Then you have to be careful not to overload any individual axle.
The individual axle weights are also given on the plate.

Here’s how to calculate the individual axle weights for a 2-axle rigid:

In this example, the kerbside weight including the driver is 8 Tonnes.
The load is 10 Tonnes, which in this case is evenly distributed, and the vehicle’s GVW is given on the plate as 18 Tonnes.

We now need to measure the distance between the centres of the axles to find the wheelbase, and found this to be 5 Mtrs as in the picture.
We now measure the distance from the centre of the load to each axle and found that in this case it is 3 Mtrs to the front axle and 2 Mtrs to the rear axle as in the picture.

Next, we use the formula in the picture, where
P = payload,
D = distance
and W = wheelbase.

So now to the calculation:
10 x 2 = 20 divided by 5 = 4 Therefore the front axle weighs 4 Tonnes and the rear axle must weigh 6 Tonnes.

NOTE: It doesn’t matter which of the 2 “distances” you use, but you should remember that the answer that you get will be for the “other” axle. :wink:

Doing the same calculation using the “other” distance will give you:
10 x 3 = 30 divided by 5 = 6 Therefore the rear axle weighs 6 Tonnes and the front axle must weigh 4 Tonnes.

If the load is of irregular shape, then you should adjust the “center” accordingly.
Multi-axle rigids and artics are slightly trickier.:grimacing:

:smiling_imp: Of course, all of the above relies on the sender correctly declaring the weight. :smiling_imp:

ROG:

Kerbside weight.

And the only way to find that out is to take it to a weighbridge when fully fuelled but not loaded. - I think it also includes the weight of the driver BUT not sure on that point.

:wink: According to the EOS National CPC notes, my post was OK :sunglasses:

You’d be right if the vehicle were stop-checked whilst out on the road though, because the driver then counts towards the GVW.:grimacing:

My Daff 45 - 7.5 tonner can only carry a load of 3.8 tons