Legal Age for HGV Class 2 licence

I read in one of the truck magazines a few months back about the government dropping the legal age to get your class 2 licence to 18. Could anyone shed some light on this and give me some information as a company is willing to give me a job if i could get my licence next year (when i’m 18) and does anyone know if the government gives grants for this, similar to the young drivers scheme which im sure is stopping soon.

Any information would be appreciated
Thanks.

The age is dropping to 18 from Sept 10 this year along with the introduction of the Driver CPC.
Click the link in my signature to find out more…

The Young Drive Scheme (YDS) is now no more.

Government grants - see the nearest flying pig !!

Companies willing to take on an 18 year old LGV newbie - see more flying pigs !!

Seriously, the insurance will be so high that it will not be viable for companies to take on such young LGV drivers - those under 25 now find it a big uphill battle for this reason.

There was a big discussion on 18 year old LGV drivers - HERE

Thanks for the info and i must of just seen the pig fly past the window as i have a company that are very willing to employ me. :smiley:

scaniamad:
Thanks for the info and i must of just seen the pig fly past the window as i have a company that are very willing to employ me. :smiley:

Well catch a ride on that pig pronto :exclamation: - well done.

Is that a firm offer in writing or just a verbal ‘promise’ :question:

If solid offer, will the company help you financially with training?

If not yet discussed with them then do so - offer to give a contract to work for them for X amount of years :bulb: :bulb:

it’s a tipper company a family friend runs.

scaniamad:
it’s a tipper company a family friend runs.

In that case It may all work out for you :slight_smile:

Hopefully they will give you an ‘apprenticeship’ just like a lot of us had in the old days where an experienced driver or drivers helps you through everything.

Are you going out with any of their drivers at the moment so that you can start learning :question:

Rog

I have quite a few guys with jobs waiting for September it’s not as rare as you might think.

Although they all are going to be working for family of freinds of.

At present Im waiting to here about 2 jobs Ive applied for - the cash and carry job (this sounds promising), and the AA recovery driver job…

Data Academy:
Rog

I have quite a few guys with jobs waiting for September it’s not as rare as you might think.

That is good news - we need young blood to come into this industry or in 20 years we may find ourselves with no option but to positively import LGV drivers and although we have some here now I don’t think anyone wants a LGV driver force of mainly foreign drivers…
…Probably a subject for a new thread…

I dont get chance to go with any of the drivers as im doing an electricians course at college incase it doesnt all work out. I go with my dad when i get time.

scaniamad:
I dont get chance to go with any of the drivers as im doing an electricians course at college incase it doesnt all work out. I go with my dad when i get time.

Good to have a back up plan :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Just to add clarification to this.

The Age Limit to drive a vehicle in Categories C1+E, C and C+E as of September 10th 2009 will be 18 but only if the licence holder also holds Driver CPC. Should the licence holder not hold Driver CPC (Ambulance, Fire and Rescue) then the age limit will still be 21. The only exception to this is when you’re undergoing Driver Training or taking an LGV Driving Test or CPC Module 4 Practical Demonstration Test.

The only thing I’m not sure about is those people that gain Aquired Rights for Driver CPC by holding a Full LGV Sub-category (C1 and/or C1+E) before September 10th 2009. Aquired Rights in itself says to me that they should have the ‘right’ to the lower age of 18 because they’ve ‘aquired’ the ‘rights’ from holding Full LGV Entitlement in some form already…don’t quote me but I think 7.5 Tonners will be okay.

Richard
:slight_smile:

The Lyonator:
The Age Limit to drive a vehicle in Categories C1+E, C and C+E as of September 10th 2009 will be 18 but only if the licence holder also holds Driver CPC

The above information is not correct -

There is no requirement on the issuing of the LGV LICENCE to have the Driver CPC - the two are seperate issues.

The LGV C licence WILL be issued on passing modules 1a, 1b & 3

The DQC will be issued on passing modules 2 & 4

An 18 year old can have the LGV licence but will not be able to be paid to drive for a living until the CPC modules are passed.

The Lyonator:
The only thing I’m not sure about is those people that gain Aquired Rights for Driver CPC by holding a Full LGV Sub-category (C1 and/or C1+E) before September 10th 2009. Aquired Rights in itself says to me that they should have the ‘right’ to the lower age of 18 because they’ve ‘aquired’ the ‘rights’ from holding Full LGV Entitlement in some form already…don’t quote me but I think 7.5 Tonners will be okay.

Those with C1 (7.5 tonner) on grandfather rights will have passed their B test before 97 - those with C1 after 97 will have passed the C1 LGV DSA test.

The 18 years age for this is therefore not relevant as there cannot be a person under 21 with grandfather rights for C1.

Agreed, what I was relating to was those that passed C1 and/or C1+E who are Under 21 before September 10th 2009 as I gained my C1 when I was 19 you see.

So the question still remains as there must be some people out there with C1/C1+E who are Under 21.

Richard

Currently you have to be over 21 to drive a C1+E combination - only C1 can be driven at 18.

ROG:

Data Academy:
Rog

That is good news

Call me cynical but is it good news for everyone or just good news for employers who have spotted a potentially cheap workforce in HGV drivers under 21.

tachograph:

ROG:

Data Academy:
Rog

That is good news

Call me cynical but is it good news for everyone or just good news for employers who have spotted a potentially cheap workforce in HGV drivers under 21.

Minimum wage £4.77 per hour for workers 18-21.Employers can offset wages against higher insurance premiums!

Smart Mart:
Currently you have to be over 21 to drive a C1+E combination - only C1 can be driven at 18.

That is correct, however as long as the total MAM of both the Tractor and Trailer unit do not exceed 7.5 tonnes can you can drive C1+E at 18 years old. (4 Ton MAM Tractor + 2.5 Ton MAM Trailer = 6.5 Tonnes).

Richard

The Lyonator:

Smart Mart:

That is correct, however as long as the total MAM of both the Tractor and Trailer unit do not exceed 7.5 tonnes can you can drive C1+E at 18 years old. (4 Ton MAM Tractor + 2.5 Ton MAM Trailer = 6.5 Tonnes).

Richard

I think that is still considered as C1, AFAIK you can’t take a C1+E test until you are 21 - apart from the military exceptions of course.