Legal Age for HGV Class 2 licence

The Lyonator:
Agreed, what I was relating to was those that passed C1 and/or C1+E who are Under 21 before September 10th 2009 as I gained my C1 when I was 19 you see.

So the question still remains as there must be some people out there with C1/C1+E who are Under 21.

Richard
:slight_smile:

And those will have acquired (grandfather) rights same as everyone else.
drivercpc-periodictraining.org/affects/

Existing drivers who already hold a vocational licence on the 10th September 2008 (PCV) or the 10th September 2009 (LGV) are exempt from the initial Driver CPC. This is known as “acquired rights”.

No mention of age so it does not matter if 18 or 21+

DAF95XF:
At present Im waiting to here about 2 jobs Ive applied for - the cash and carry job (this sounds promising), and the AA recovery driver job…

Good Luck stu go get em :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

tachograph:

ROG:

Data Academy:
Rog

I have quite a few guys with jobs waiting for September it’s not as rare as you might think.

Although they all are going to be working for family of freinds of.

That is good news

Call me cynical but is it good news for everyone or just good news for employers who have spotted a potentially cheap workforce in HGV drivers under 21.

As stated on my post all the interest we have is from guys and gals going into the family business.

Whilst I understand what you are saying tachogragh, I dont think it to be good news for employers, as the insurance companies will not catch up for years and premiums plus excess on policies may make it prohibitive for an employer to take young drivers on.

Only my thoughts you understand, I think it is time training companies and insurance companies spoke to each other just another thought.

The Lyonator:

Smart Mart:
Currently you have to be over 21 to drive a C1+E combination - only C1 can be driven at 18.

That is correct, however as long as the total MAM of both the Tractor and Trailer unit do not exceed 7.5 tonnes can you can drive C1+E at 18 years old. (4 Ton MAM Tractor + 2.5 Ton MAM Trailer = 6.5 Tonnes).

Richard

You can’t tow a trailer over 750 kgs on a C1 licence. I passed my car test before 1/1/97 so got the restricted C1E which meant I could have driven the example combination above at 18 (the MAM was actually 8250 kgs though :slight_smile: )

Smart Mart:
Currently you have to be over 21 to drive a C1+E combination - only C1 can be driven at 18.

The Lyonator:
That is correct, however as long as the total MAM of both the Tractor and Trailer unit do not exceed 7.5 tonnes can you can drive C1+E at 18 years old. (4 Ton MAM Tractor + 2.5 Ton MAM Trailer = 6.5 Tonnes).

Richard

mrpj:
You can’t tow a trailer over 750 kgs on a C1 licence. I passed my car test before 1/1/97 so got the restricted C1E which meant I could have driven the example combination above at 18 (the MAM was actually 8250 kgs though :slight_smile: )

I think The Lyonator has applied the B+E rules (comination weight of car & trailer) to the C1+E but as mrpj has correctly pointed out, the rules are not the same for C classes as they are for B. An easy assumption to make but like most things in our rules, they need looking into carefully.

I have found out that from september the legal is getting dropped to 18 to get ur class 2 licence, through an NVQ apprenticeship you can get government funded for all your training and exams as long as you have a company willing to employ you for the practical assessments once you’ve passed your main practical exam. During the training period you will complete the driver cpc and gain an NVQ certificate in hgv driving.

scaniamad:
I have found out that from september the legal is getting dropped to 18 to get ur class 2 licence

Correct - fron 10 Sept this year - 8 weeks from today

scaniamad:
through an NVQ apprenticeship you can get government funded for all your training and exams as long as you have a company willing to employ you for the practical assessments once you’ve passed your main practical exam

Not correct - that was the old young Driver Scheme (YDS) which is no more

scaniamad:
During the training period you will complete the driver cpc

Correct - the INITIAL driver CPC

scaniamad:
and gain an NVQ certificate in hgv driving

Not correct - that was the old YDS