Le Tour Yorkshire

Saturday Leeds to Harrogate
Sunday York to Sheffield

check road closures theres lots of them
letour.yorkshire.com/the-grand-d … d-closures

Ah yes, the delights of Le’ eeds that famous French resort.

if you think thats bad this years
Giro d’ Italia started in Ulster

Maybe I’m being daft here but I don’t know a great deal about cycling so why is the Tour de France in the uk and not France?

They sometimes have the," grand depart" in other countries and then they head to Framce. Don’t know why :confused: There will be no water stations around the Yorkshire stages… It’s being replaced by John Smiths :grimacing:

merc0447:
Maybe I’m being daft here but I don’t know a great deal about cycling so why is the Tour de France in the uk and not France?

Mmtm it’s because of the welcoming nature of all British lorry drivers towards our lycra clad brethren, whereas LeCamionnet.fr is full of posts by raging Frenchist lorry drivers wanting to kill them.

Sounds pretty plausible to me. :smiley:

merc0447:

£££££££ in a nutshell.
There is somekind of bidding effort to hold ‘Le Grande Depart’ when it starts out of France, Yorkshire won, they are reckoning on getting back threefold the amount it costs to stage, so a winner for Yorkshire.

thats pretty much it
millions of €s at stake

Don’t forget to get yourself properly prepared :smiley:

youtu.be/j3h-hE-4X4Q

Cycle racing and all of the apres stuff that goes with it is very big business on the European Mainland.Its probably as big as football is here.The tour was in the South of England in the mid 70s and held a stage in the Irish Republic.It started from Berlin once as well.

Cycle racing and all of the apres stuff that goes with it is very big business on the European Mainland.Its probably as big as football is here.The tour was in the South of England in the mid 70s and held a stage in the Irish Republic.It started from Berlin once as well.

From midnight Saturday through to late Sunday afternoon every road over the Pennies between Skipton and Sheffield is closed at some point.

The only way over is via the M62.

Also this morning dozens of articulated lorries carrying the Tour de France parade arrived in Hull from Zeebrugge.

Up to 60 lorries containing the floats that precede the race along the route arrived at King George Dock earlier.

The 180-vehicle procession is an integral part of the event and stretches for 12km (7.4 miles). BBC NEWS

There is a prestige about hosting the start of ‘The Tour’,
In France, if you can get your town to host Le Grande Depart then your pretty much guaranteed to become Mayor of the town at least.
Leeds beat big European cities including Barcelona to host the start this year.

moomooland:
From midnight Saturday through to late Sunday afternoon every road over the Pennies between Skipton and Sheffield is closed at some point.

The only way over is via the M62.

Also this morning dozens of articulated lorries carrying the Tour de France parade arrived in Hull from Zeebrugge.

Up to 60 lorries containing the floats that precede the race along the route arrived at King George Dock earlier.

The 180-vehicle procession is an integral part of the event and stretches for 12km (7.4 miles). BBC NEWS

eye and you can guarantee some bloody flip flop will be driving them and running a quick back load whilst there here

B1 GGK:
There is a prestige about hosting the start of ‘The Tour’,
In France, if you can get your town to host Le Grande Depart then your pretty much guaranteed to become Mayor of the town at least.
Leeds beat big European cities including Barcelona to host the start this year.

Whoopie do. I’m still not excited by the prospect of it. Been dragged along to watch my brother in law doing some cycle races. Like watching paint dry…until one falls off and takes about a dozen with them. :smiling_imp:
I’m on our Manchester-Newcastle run Tuesday and Wednesday, I take it all will be normal by then?

The Tour came to Kent in 2007. They closed Blue Bell Hill,so me,the current wife and few of the neighbours set up camp at the side of the road. Table,chairs, few(!) crates of beer, wine, sandwiches - decided to make a day of it. My neighbour knocks for me at 08.10am - the Tour isn’t due till 1pm - its only a 3 minute walk down the road! Come 12 noon - I’m hammered. ‘Ze Caravan’ comes past about 1pm, throwing freebies out the back of the trucks which was blasting past us like missiles,one bottle of water upturned our full table! I’ve forgotten to say,we didn’t think it through - we were on downhill stretch and when the bikes passed us -the speed, well, that’s 4 seconds of my life I’ll never get back :blush:

Dave55:
The Tour came to Kent in 2007. They closed Blue Bell Hill,so me,the current wife and few of the neighbours set up camp at the side of the road. Table,chairs, few(!) crates of beer, wine, sandwiches - decided to make a day of it. My neighbour knocks for me at 08.10am - the Tour isn’t due till 1pm - its only a 3 minute walk down the road! Come 12 noon - I’m hammered. ‘Ze Caravan’ comes past about 1pm, throwing freebies out the back of the trucks which was blasting past us like missiles,one bottle of water upturned our full table! I’ve forgotten to say,we didn’t think it through - we were on downhill stretch and when the bikes passed us -the speed, well, that’s 4 seconds of my life I’ll never get back :blush:

Good for you, tis the thought that counts. Le tour is great to watch for a slice of French life and a bit of Yorkshire this year, is a privilege I thought to host the start.

moomooland:

You have to feel sorry for them.

One of the premier European cycle races comes to the UK, and their first sighting is the ■■■■ of Yorkshire :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

It’ll be something of a spectacle, for sure. And Yorkshire on a weekend is all well and good - but on Monday Le Tour goes from Cambridge to London…

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
water … John Smiths

And the difference is?.. :grimacing: