laybys

now after getting told ive got to pay parking , ive decided to park up in layby[ not much left out of 20 quid after paying parking]. im gonna drive my full 10hrs which should get me 1hr from home.can i park up in any layby :question: i think i read something about you had to have path [something like that ] between you and main road to park up for 9hrs, or can i use any layby . ta

If you leave your lorry on a road in darkness you need to have parking lights on. For the purposes we are talking about a layby is a road/highway/carriageway unless it is separated by means of a small kerb thing (i know thats not the technical term!), pavement or some other such thing.

ady:
now after getting told ive got to pay parking , ive decided to park up in layby[ not much left out of 20 quid after paying parking]. im gonna drive my full 10hrs which should get me 1hr from home.can i park up in any layby :question: i think i read something about you had to have path [something like that ] between you and main road to park up for 9hrs, or can i use any layby . ta

I’ve got a better idea. Tell your gaffer to stop being a tight [zb] or tell him to stick his job up his arse and get a proper job. Why do muppets work for these cowboy outfits that expect the DRIVER to pay to do THEIR work? :imp: :unamused:

Providing it’s not a private layby yes you can, it’s what they’re for afer all.

Road builders have an obligation to provide laybys every so many miles on A roads for wearry motorists. (it’s not enforced that well though)

As for parking lights i think it’s true so long as the layby isnt separated by a section of kerb/verge. However you could fit those lamps like they fit on skips/road cones etc on the corners of the vehcle if you want, nothing says the parking lights have to be built into the truck, just that it has to be lit.

Dodgy goings on in laybys overnight . Not see me parked up in one for a break .

muppet rob, well i suppose its better than s. w.a :laughing:

You tell em Rob. It’s absolutely disgusting that some won’t pay parking.

I think if it was me, I’d arrange for someone to turn up with a hand pump and a dozen jerry cans. Empty the tank then phone the boss in the morning to tell him you’ve had your diesel stolen and can he bring some out?

Rob K:
[
I’ve got a better idea. Tell your gaffer to stop being a tight [zb] or tell him to stick his job up his arse and get a proper job. Why do muppets work for these cowboy outfits that expect the DRIVER to pay to do THEIR work? :imp: :unamused:

You just can’t help yourself can you? Slag off the tight gaffers by all means but why do you feel the need to insult the bloke in the middle, who may have little choice but to work where he is?

As to Conor’s solution, tempting though it may be, why not just park somewhere that charges and refuse to pay? Invite them to send the bill to the boss and then phone him in the morning to arrange the removal of the clamp :question: :wink: :smiley:

Not paying the parking is the pits. I used to have a boss like that. I screwed him every which way rather than jack in. It was almost a year before he cottoned on. He let me go & sold the truck. :laughing: He had a big mouth,so every time he got stroppy I used to fine him. Certain infractions used to cost him 5 tabac. But he wouldn`t learn ,so I whacked him 10 tabac & a bottle of cognac. & so it went on. In the end not only fine him but I used to roast him at the end of a phone line every time he put a foot out of line…He was stunned! Nobody had ever shouted to him like that in his life. I made sure I did it in front of other drivers :laughing: He only found out I was ripping him by accident. One of the other drivers was into it as well. I was in the office & he was comparing the guilty drivers record of fill-ups with mine. & mine were more. :smiley: It was like watching a light bulb being turned on in his head…Priceless ( for everything else there used to be the diesel card) :smiley:

Conor:
I think if it was me, I’d arrange for someone to turn up with a hand pump and a dozen jerry cans. Empty the tank then phone the boss in the morning to tell him you’ve had your diesel stolen and can he bring some out?

Oh, we know you would!

Spardo:

Rob K:
[

You just can’t help yourself can you? Slag off the tight gaffers by all means but why do you feel the need to insult the bloke in the middle, who may have little choice but to work where he is?

Sorry Spardo but can you please provide me with a website link that says it’s law to only work for one company in your lifetime.

Everyone has a CHOICE and that means that there are plenty of other CHOICES but to work for a cowboy outfit where YOU have to PAY to do your OWN job. What sort of [zb] craziness is that ffs?

Rob K:

Spardo:

Rob K:
[

Sorry Spardo but can you please provide me with a website link that says it’s law to only work for one company in your lifetime.

Everyone has a CHOICE and that means that there are plenty of other CHOICES but to work for a cowboy outfit where YOU have to PAY to do your OWN job. What sort of [zb] craziness is that ffs?

what spardo was objecting ,as do i, is being called a muppet,you aint so clever your self,aint it easy to sit back all smug and try and make your fellow members feel bad about a job they feel bad about them selfs ?..its not everyone who can walk out of one job into another…

sad thing is,you cant see it.

i have travelled the length and breadth of britain…and have always dossed down in a laybye…never have i had to put lights on…and never have i been punished for it…however…in this ever changing world of transport…there is always a first time…and the ticket will be sent to the company …about £30…so that works out a lot more expensive than paying for parking…
I must admit that my present company pays for parking if we need it …but i only have minimal nights out now…one every 2 weeks…in wigan…and i park in the british bakery site…so it doesnt really affect me that much nowadays…

Has anybody had any problems around Derbyshire,nice to know the police are out and about working hard.
Brighten Up!

bernie:
[

what spardo was objecting ,as do i, is being called a muppet,you aint so clever your self,aint it easy to sit back all smug and try and make your fellow members feel bad about a job they feel bad about them selfs ?..its not everyone who can walk out of one job into another…

Thanks Bernie, couldn’t have put it better myself, most of us have worked for tightfists at one time or another without spitting the dummy. Far better to use the subtle approach. When Tom Llewellyn at Econofreight refused to pay for the Easystart we needed in the winter to get his ■■■■■■■ engines going I stopped buying it and started calling BRS Rescue instead. Very expensive. Before long my depot manager told me to buy the Easystart again but book it down to parking instead.
Whoops! We’ve come full circle :unamused: :smiley: . On that subject I’ve no idea if my boss here would pay for parking, the situation never arose, everywhere is free in paradise :sunglasses: :smiley: .

bernie:

Rob K:

Spardo:

Rob K:
[

:unamused: And how long was it since Ady was complaining about the state of the industry and how badly drivers are treated but yet puts up with a job where he has to pay to park the wagon because his GAFFER refuses or overnight in some [zb]-riden stinking layby? The title “muppet” or even “mug” couldn’t be more appropriate if you tried. :unamused: What’s up, does the truth hurt eh? :unamused:

You know how it is. L. :wink:

Sorry, but anyone who uses their money to help the boss pay the running costs of the business needs their head examined. Do you also chip in toward the fuel, maintenance, office supplies or wages? If the boss asked you to, what would your answer be? As you are contributing to the running costs are you also getting a share of the profits at the end of the year?

Night out money should not be used to pay the companies business expenses. It is to cover expenses incurred by the employee in the course of their employment i.e. food, showers etc. The parking of a company vehicle is an expense incurred by the company, not the driver. I wonder what the Revenue’s take on it would be, when money claimed and paid to an employee to cover their expenses is not being used for that?

Coffeeholic:
Sorry, but anyone who uses their money to help the boss pay the running costs of the business needs their head examined. Do you also chip in toward the fuel, maintenance, office supplies or wages? If the boss asked you to, what would your answer be? As you are contributing to the running costs are you also getting a share of the profits at the end of the year?

Night out money should not be used to pay the companies business expenses. It is to cover expenses incurred by the employee in the course of their employment i.e. food, showers etc. The parking of a company vehicle is an expense incurred by the company, not the driver. I wonder what the Revenue’s take on it would be, when money claimed and paid to an employee to cover their expenses is not being used for that?

Exactly well said, I agree too. :open_mouth: :frowning: :laughing:
I remember a few years ago, one of my old bosses said jokingly " I’m not going to pay night out money anymore " - “OK, I won’t do them anymore then” says I. :smiley: :laughing: :wink:

I am one of those also who will not pay out
of my own pocket for parking, This is up to
the person who employs me,and if they
do NOT pay then i stay else where,
AS luck would have itthis employer pays,

am i reading it wrong or does he still get twenty quid a night but used to also get parking fees paid on top but now the parking money has been stopped?
might just be this area but i don’t know any one who gets more than twenty five quid and they have to pay parking out of that, most get twenty or less. of coarse most choice the free parking option and keep the money in their pockets.