laybys

paul b:
am i reading it wrong or does he still get twenty quid a night but used to also get parking fees paid on top but now the parking money has been stopped?
might just be this area but i don’t know any one who gets more than twenty five quid and they have to pay parking out of that, most get twenty or less. of coarse most choice the free parking option and keep the money in their pockets.

I read it like you said in your first paragraph Paul - £20 per night out PLUS parking paid on top.

In reply to your second comment I charge £25 per night out if I’m asked to do one PLUS automatically get any reasonable expenses paid on top of that (ie. parking, tolls, phone use etc). There are some companies out there that don’t even pay £20 per night out, never mind £25! :open_mouth:

Coffeeholic:
Sorry, but anyone who uses their money to help the boss pay the running costs of the business needs their head examined.

Correct, but Ady didn’t say he was using his money to pay it. What you sorry about, muppet!

what i don’t get is, if the bloke was getting a bit more than most but has now been told thats at an end, although i can see he’d not be right happy about it and who would, how does that make him a muppet for not packin the job in?? he maybe on a good earner on a job he likes, or simply he may not be in a position fanancially to just walk out either.

Mike-C:

Coffeeholic:
Sorry, but anyone who uses their money to help the boss pay the running costs of the business needs their head examined.

Correct, but Ady didn’t say he was using his money to pay it. What you sorry about, muppet!

I know he didn’t and it wasn’t aimed directly at Ady, (the bit where it says ‘anyone’ was the clue :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: ) but at all those who seem to accept they must pay the parking out of their night out money. Ady, quite rightly, isn’t going to pay his bosses expenses but there are plenty who do so without question.

this jobs got you lot spoilt

i can remember (not too many years back) when no-body ever got paid overnight parking - and im not talking back street firms i’m talking the majority of big firms. you would only ever get if it was authorised beforehand and only then if you were carrying a high value load

simple choice - if you work somewhere you can claim it back - good on ya, go for it -

if you don’t - tough ■■■■■

your gaffers cant got to his customer and say he wants an extra £10 or £15 on that job cos “my boy has to park up in a truckstop” and if anyone knows any firms that add it on top of the job rate, let us all know will ya ■■?

bunch of fairies, whats wrong - scared of the dark of something ■■?

vernonbish777:
your gaffers cant got to his customer and say he wants an extra £10 or £15 on that job cos “my boy has to park up in a truckstop” and if anyone knows any firms that add it on top of the job rate, let us all know will ya ■■?

bunch of fairies, whats wrong - scared of the dark of something ■■?

You are joking arent you?

Its part of the expence of running a truck.

Are you on salary? do you claim overtime? does your boss say no sorry cant afford the overtime to customers when they want a delivery? Its the same thing.

Why should any driver have to stop in a layby, would your boss be happy too?

If a firm cant afford the cost of parking, it shouldnt be in business.

Why should any driver have to stop in a layby, would your boss be happy too?

ideal world the gaffers would be putting us up in hilton hotels every night

gaffers that i’ve worked with that drove as well would do the same as the rest of the crew and park wherever and whenever your time runs out

the whole reason this jobs cattle trucked with HSE and rules and regs everywhere you turn is the number of namby pamby fairies who’ve come into it and taken over and wanting the accident book cos they’ve broke a nail, and wanting their backside wiped at every turn

don’t no-one just get in the wagon and get on and put in a good days graft anymore ■■?

vernonbish777:
[gaffers that i’ve worked with that drove as well would do the same as the rest of the crew and park wherever and whenever your time runs out

Thats fair enough for the odd night or two, not exactly a good plan if you’re out every night of the week?

vernonbish777:
your gaffers cant got to his customer and say he wants an extra £10 or £15 on that job cos “my boy has to park up in a truckstop”

If the rate he is getting for the job doesn’t cover all the expenses, which would include parking, then he shouldn’t be doing the job for that customer.

There are also firms who do not allow parking in laybys for security reasons but still expect the drivers to meet the cost of the parking out of their own money.

If the rate he is getting for the job doesn’t cover all the expenses, which would include parking, then he shouldn’t be doing the job for that customer.

if only that was an option :laughing:

if thats the case, half the trucks in the UK should be parked up :exclamation: :exclamation:

what i’m trying to get across is that not every company enjoys first hand the sort of rates that justify o/n parking charges - look at the amount of small firms and one man bands pulling boxes round at rates 20% less than what the prime haulier is getting - they’re still making a living out of it, and hopefully paying the drivers a decent wage, and supposedly looking after the kit - but should they pack it up just because they can’t afford to pay another £50 a week out in x’s??

nobody seems to be pointing any fingers at the MSA’s and Highways Agency (or whoever’s responsible) that there should be adequate FREE facilities for drivers who have to park out

sorry ive only just replied as just got back, in this case rob is right in calling me a muppet, id assumed that as they dont pay parking i was going to have to pay it or park in a layby, what i didnt know was where my last trailer change was[ heywood distribution] theres a lorry park[ ive been there before so should of noticed] and as weve a unit on site we get free overnight parking, or its weve got an account and get free parking. id just assumed that id have to find parking myself , wheras when i got to work tues they told me to park at last trailer change and just put our company name on gate ticket :blush:
what id done is presumed something without finding all the facts out[ ill learn] :unamused: so for all the hassle its caused im a bit embarresed :blush: :blush:

:laughing: least it’s turned out alright in the end, you muppet! :laughing:

vernonbish777:

if only that was an option :laughing:

It’s not an option, it is a fact. If the rate doesn’t cover the expenses you go bust.

vernonbish777:
if thats the case, half the trucks in the UK should be parked up :exclamation: :exclamation:

Yep, maybe not half but a fair amount of them.

isn’t the firm already making extra profit out of the wagon by having the driver park up en route rather than returning to the yard every night? if a wagons not earning enough in a day to cover ten or fifteen quid parking a night, we’re all in trouble!

vernonbish777:
nobody seems to be pointing any fingers at the MSA’s and Highways Agency (or whoever’s responsible) that there should be adequate FREE facilities for drivers who have to park out

Spot on, just as it used to be. When the MSAs first introduced parking charges we just laughed at them, then when they got nasty later on, avoided them. And all these transport caffs jumping on the bandwagon and charging should be treated the same way. They’re selling their grub evening and night aren’t they…should be enough.

Of course firms can afford parking fees …

I have it on good authority the director of a certain company has bought a 2 million house .
I,m not sure what they pay the drivers .

Spardo:
As to Conor’s solution, tempting though it may be, why not just park somewhere that charges and refuse to pay? Invite them to send the bill to the boss and then phone him in the morning to arrange the removal of the clamp :question: :wink: :smiley:

LOL :imp: :imp: :imp: I’d not even considered that. It’s what, £250 at a MSA?

Mike-C:

Conor:
I think if it was me, I’d arrange for someone to turn up with a hand pump and a dozen jerry cans. Empty the tank then phone the boss in the morning to tell him you’ve had your diesel stolen and can he bring some out?

Oh, we know you would!

Well I did two weeks for one [zb] who had me do a delivery on a Saturday morning then the week after decide to inform me that my wage was a salary and I wasn’t getting paid extra.

Anyhows…parks up at Leyland one night and along comes a ■■■■■ with the old “Run out of diesel mate, can you sell me some?”. Hmmm…vengeance is MINE.“No problem, gimme £20 and take all you want but leave me enough to get to the petrol station in the morning.”

£20 exchanged hands, out came the drums and the hand pump and five minutes later 200 litres was on it’s way in someone elses vehicle.

vernonbish777:
don’t no-one just get in the wagon and get on and put in a good days graft anymore ■■?

I think you meant

“Doesn’t anyone doff his cap to the gaffer and be grateful he gets a shilling a week?”

No, we don’t. THe job is hard, the pay is poor, the hours are long and you lose out on a lot. A boss scrimping £10 isn’t worth a toss. THose not paying night out money are even worse as you can damned well guarantee that they’re quick to pay nowt and VERY QUICK to give you the grief if anything happens to the wagon or load.

Stuff em…plenty other jobs out there that DO pay parking and night out money.

Conor:

vernonbish777:

I think you meant

“Doesn’t anyone doff his cap to the gaffer and be grateful he gets a shilling a week?”

No, we don’t. THe job is hard, the pay is poor, the hours are long and you lose out on a lot. A boss scrimping £10 isn’t worth a toss. THose not paying night out money are even worse as you can damned well guarantee that they’re quick to pay nowt and VERY QUICK to give you the grief if anything happens to the wagon or load.

Stuff em…plenty other jobs out there that DO pay parking and night out money.

I couldn’t agree more. Far too many mugs in this industry that are willing to wipe their gaffer’s arse and more. :unamused: