Layby blockers

Grrrr what is it with drivers who pull into a layby right at the entrance, and sit blocking the whole layby, even though theres plenty of space to park?? Ive noticed this a hell of a lot more recently, especially along the A14. Why do it??

AaronR

AaronR:
Grrrr what is it with drivers who pull into a layby right at the entrance, and sit blocking the whole layby, even though theres plenty of space to park?? Ive noticed this a hell of a lot more recently, especially along the A14. Why do it??

AaronR

Is this a serious question? :unamused:

I usually take that with a pinch of salt as many times I’ve pulled in behind a truck, shoved it on break and 10 minutes later the other truck has gone away, leaving me in the situation that you describe.

What annoys me are the drivers/companies who always leave trailers parked in these lay-bys…I think they should be removed!

AaronR:

AaronR

If we had the European style laybys this would not be a problem.

gb1:

AaronR:

AaronR

Why would this not be a serious question then? :angry:

Have you not been in a situation when you want to get into a layby but someone has parked in the entry so no one else can get in?

i do it quite regular… what happens with me is that im feeling drowsy so try to pull into the layby but its full, so then i park in the entrance not blocking anyone in while il have my powernap. :bulb:

Deepinvet:

AaronR:

AaronR

If we had the European style laybys this would not be a problem.

Deepinvet is a man with sense! AaronR, have you tried thinking about what you’ve written before you took the time to write it?

I would have thought it was fairly obvious that the “blocker” has arrived at the layby and found all the parking spaces taken, and shortly after he’s stopped at the entrance and put his tacho on break, one of the previously parked trucks has driven off… How tough is that to work out?

Do you honestly think people deliberately block the entrance to laybys to stop you getting parked up? (Don’t answer that!)

AaronR:

gb1:

AaronR:

AaronR

Have you not been in a situation when you want to get into a layby but someone has parked in the entry so no one else can get in?

Your question implies that the driver of the vehicle blocking the layby is at fault. So, when I pull onto a layby, having used up all my driving time, do you expect me to sit up all night, waiting for a space to appear, then make an illegal movement, just in case someone else wants to pull in. I agree, it is a common situation, not only in the UK, but particularly on German laybys. It’s just one of those things.

You are wrong in your assumption of what i was saying, i have seen on my travels many times drivers pull in to a near empty layby and then proceed to block it for a break, or sometimes just to just the laptop sitting on the dash or talk on the phone, therefore rendering the layby useless for everyone else.

I had this only yesterday, and the guy had no excuse.

I was parked, in my car on my way home from work, in a layby about 3 artic lengths long. I was parked about 20 feet in from the entrance, with two wheels up on the grass and there was easily enough space at the side to get anything you like by. There was only me in the layby when someone of questionable intellect in a white van pulls up directly behind me (about 5 feet) and to the right. Entirely blocking the place.

A Dobbs transport artic indicates to come into the layby, honks his horn and then drives on past.

So I said to the 2 chaps as they got out (and disappeared to ■■■■ in the hedge - together!) “’ scuse me lads, I think that guy wanted to get in, perhaps pull forward a touch?” at which point they just laughed.

So I decide to leave so at least there’s some space for someone to try and pull in if they want to.

You can’t always say that its because there’s no other option, some people are just idiots!

Scarab:
I had this only yesterday, and the guy had no excuse.

I was parked, in my car on my way home from work, in a layby about 3 artic lengths long. I was parked about 20 feet in from the entrance, with two wheels up on the grass and there was easily enough space at the side to get anything you like by. There was only me in the layby when someone of questionable intellect in a white van pulls up directly behind me (about 5 feet) and to the right. Entirely blocking the place.

A Dobbs transport artic indicates to come into the layby, honks his horn and then drives on past.

So I said to the 2 chaps as they got out (and disappeared to ■■■■ in the hedge - together!) “’ scuse me lads, I think that guy wanted to get in, perhaps pull forward a touch?” at which point they just laughed.

So I decide to leave so at least there’s some space for someone to try and pull in if they want to.

You can’t always say that its because there’s no other option, some people are just idiots!

Thank you very much that was the point i was trying to make! Its not always truck drivers, and when it is ive found its normally our european friends who do it.

Regards
AaronR

Adam_Mc:
I usually take that with a pinch of salt as many times I’ve pulled in behind a truck, shoved it on break and 10 minutes later the other truck has gone away, leaving me in the situation that you describe.

What annoys me are the drivers/companies who always leave trailers parked in these lay-bys…I think they should be removed!

Especially those pointless ones that state ‘Thieves operate in this area’ or something similar - VOSA or speed cams?

When drags have stacks of cones around them and the drags been there all day- I just chuck the cones out of the way and park up. I know what a poster was saying about parking in the layby and then everyone else moves off. It is somewhat embarassing…
What about those who park near you and leave engine running-fridges I understand but why do you want to hear the engine during your break, you hear it allday?

If I understand the last post correct about having a fridge running whilst on a break either a 45,or a daily rest is because if you turn it off then the load could be rejected and cost your employer thousands in insurance,thats whats a fridge unit is for,to get the frozen and chilled produce to your local supermarket so your wifey and kids dont get the squirts when they purchase it and you eat the said produce,if god forbid the stuff that was in it and some a-hole turned off your fridge during your break :wink:

hope this helps!!

Thetaff:
If I understand the last post correct about having a fridge running whilst on a break either a 45,or a daily rest is because if you turn it off then the load could be rejected and cost your employer thousands in insurance,thats whats a fridge unit is for,to get the frozen and chilled produce to your local supermarket so your wifey and kids dont get the squirts when they purchase it and you eat the said produce,if god forbid the stuff that was in it and some a-hole turned off your fridge during your break :wink:

hope this helps!!

He said he understood fridges running but couldn’t understand people running engines. :wink:

Then I do apologize for reading the said post wrong :blush: :blush:

I saw an irish lorry in a layby today, i thought they didnt stop for breaks?

what bugs me is when the laybys are full of cars when you want a break during the day.all the cars are empty and not a building in sight.so i guess they dump their cars there and car share into town!!! thats well handy.maybe they should put time limits in the laybys during the day and maybe even enforce them!!! i know,i know…what a mad crazy idea…back to the nuthouse tomorrow :laughing:

bubsy06:
I saw an irish lorry in a layby today, i thought they didnt stop for breaks?

Perhaps he was leaving his tizer bottle beside a litter bin… :smiley:

AaronR:

Are you so blinkered that you can’t work out that maybe the layby was full so the driver stopped in the only space available and sometime during his 45 minute break, the other vehicles left?

FFS…