Lay-by tea stalls

Do those people that operate tea/burger bars think they own the lay-by?

A couple of days ago I was on 4hrs 25mins and pulled into a lay-by. As it was nearly full I ended up parking on the approach slip road, although I was well clear of the carriageway.

The tea bar was at the far end, car plus trailer plus table and chairs. Taking up the space of an artic.

Anyway the operator of bar comes up and asks how long I am going to be because I am stopping customers getting in to lay-by.

She then insisted that I could put move into a space about fifteen feet longer than rig. When I politely declined she took a photo and then phoned my firm and complained.

A good exercise in customer relations.

Hope you didnt buy her tea??

should have asked her to move her unit forward to allow room for all these customers that couldnt get in!! :unamused:

let her ring your company and anything else she wants to do cause at the end of the day you was having a legal break !

in theory she has asked you to break the law, if it was me i would of told her to leg it !!!

Had exactly the same :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: except the ******** banged on the door waking me up :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :exclamation: :exclamation: :imp: :imp: gave him some friendly advice of where to go :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :wink:

Or ring the local council and ask for a copy of her traders licence.

Ken.

…and then somebody wonders why people no longer stop at traditional establishments…

Don’t be shy, tell us where the unwelcoming oik works and we’ll all go and block her passage…talk about bite, hand, feed!

I can remember seeing one on the A1 just after Doncaster (North) that had a sign leaning at the corner of his van saying parking for snackbar customers only!

vwgpmk2:
I can remember seeing one on the A1 just after Doncaster (North) that had a sign leaning at the corner of his van saying parking for snackbar customers only!

yeah i seen that too, i might stop next time and take a pic lol

There was an old guy who had a snack van in the layby on the A20 Wrotham Heath (just up from Oakdene cafe) had a sign up saying “no long lorry drivers” any artic that pulled up would be told to (zb) off as they were taking up too much of the layby, and wouldn’t serve them, most moved on (they were only after a quick cuppa) but the odd one would ignore the (zb) and park right in front of the wagon for a 45, used to p him right off :laughing:

The old guy has moved on now, sold the business to someone else and afaik they welcome all drivers :smiley:

Grayham:
There was an old guy who had a snack van in the layby on the A20 Wrotham Heath (just up from Oakdene cafe) had a sign up saying “no long lorry drivers”

What classes as a long lorry driver? I think any driver less than 5’ 6" would not be classed as long and a pretty good case could be made for 5’10" and less. Some may even argue 6’ would be the minimum before a driver could be classed as long. :wink:

JISL to ESL:
Don’t be shy, tell us where the unwelcoming oik works and we’ll all go and block her passage…

Just hope she doesn`t come and confront you with PMT & a baseball bat :open_mouth:

Coffeeholic:

Grayham:
There was an old guy who had a snack van in the layby on the A20 Wrotham Heath (just up from Oakdene cafe) had a sign up saying “no long lorry drivers”

What classes as a long lorry driver? I think any driver less than 5’ 6" would not be classed as long and a pretty good case could be made for 5’10" and less. Some may even argue 6’ would be the minimum before a driver could be classed as long. :wink:

I remember that old guy he was a greek, bit of a character really but I think he struggled at times with the English language. I guess at 6’ 1" I was welcome as a long driver :laughing: :laughing:

Similar happened to me, pulled into layby, only me and snack van in it, stopped got my stove and cooker out, brewed up and warmed up a pie, he kept sticking his head out and looking at me. after about 10 mins he came and asked me what i wanted, i held up my tea and pie and said “nowt im alright ta”, he went away muttering something :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

Grayham:

You’re getting your heights and lengths mixed up.

Some would say that 8 inches is long, others would say 3 and a half inches :laughing:

DadsRetired:

Coffeeholic:

Grayham:

You’re getting your heights and lengths mixed up.

Depends if the driver is lying down having a kip on his break. :stuck_out_tongue:

You could have misjudged it on the way past and clipped his van with yer trailer wheels. Not hard you understand, just to enough to smash it up. :slight_smile:

I remember being knocked up one morning on the A1 Northbound, he said that he had parked there for 20 years and all the drivers knew not to take his spot. Well there was one here who didn’t and I parked up at about 1am so stayed there until about 10.30 with threats issued that if he started his zb generator I would cut the cable :laughing:

When I woke again his snack caravan was parked behind my trailer :stuck_out_tongue:

I always remember loading quite a big show out of stoke on a saturday night (about 8 trailers i think) i dropped 6 of them in the laybys at jct15 on the M6 taking up all the space in the layby on the monday morning i was confronted by a very angry snack bar owner demanding that i move the trailers that were blocking “his” space so in return i demanded to see the deeds for the plot of land that i assume he had brought to make it his land■■?

I stopped to take a phone call for 2 mins this mornin on Salthouse road Brackmills, and within 30 seconds had the salmonella van operative knockin on my cab , " are you gonna buy anything from me?? ", NO . " did you see the sign?? ".NO,. he then said that he rents out all of the roadside and that if i didnt move i would be ticketed and clamped!!,and then proceeds to take pics of me with his phone??.
Now i dont know if the signs up are official ones or he has put them up himself? but as i pointed out as far as i could see i was not in contravention of any parking restriction and he should go back to his van and stop bothering me. The amazing thing was this was at 8am and he had no customers there anyway . and i was parked at least 200 yrds from his van and he had another 200yrds on the other side too.all of wich was totally empty!!. Somehow dont think i will be pleasuring him with my custom in the future … ■■■■■■!!! :unamused: