Last trip to Europe

Next week it looks like I will be doing my last trip to Europe , and do you know what I couldn’t give a rats arse!

I have not done much in the way of European driving anyway it’s mainly been going to DHL European hubs but have been doing it for 12 years.

Anyway I thought I would share somethings I won’t miss about driving in my 12 years of "going-over the water "

1. Driver ■■■■■■■■ you here on the train or ferry.
  2. Constant games of trumps with other drivers about there trucks,trailers, contracts,Wages or birds they have shagged, or the best way to such and such place!
  3. Stinking drivers on the Eurotunnel bus who insist that they must stand by the doors because of the " me first attitude "!
    4.Belgium traffic laws , regarding overtaking in the rain or spray or fog or snow or … Whatever …
  4. Belgium filling stations where drivers park on the pump to get there coffee of frikendels !
  5. the B.A.G and there stupid “stop sticks”
    7.Mayonnaise
  6. French coffee
  7. French people
  8. The corridor from Calais to Jabbeke !

jimboy124:
Next week it looks like I will be doing my last trip to Europe , and do you know what I couldn’t give a rats arse!

I have not done much in the way of European driving anyway it’s mainly been going to DHL European hubs but have been doing it for 12 years.

Anyway I thought I would share somethings I won’t miss about driving in my 12 years of "going-over the water "

1. Driver [zb] you here on the train or ferry.
  2. Constant games of trumps with other drivers about there trucks,trailers, contracts,Wages or birds they have shagged, or the best way to such and such place!
  3. Stinking drivers on the Eurotunnel bus who insist that they must stand by the doors because of the " me first attitude "!
    4.Belgium traffic laws , regarding overtaking in the rain or spray or fog or snow or … Whatever …
  4. Belgium filling stations where drivers park on the pump to get there coffee of frikendels !
  5. the B.A.G and there stupid “stop sticks”
    7.Mayonnaise
  6. French coffee
  7. French people
  8. The corridor from Calais to Jabbeke !

Glad to hear you have enjoyed yourself and met most of the people that I have. Number 3 does get me, the train is still on the platform, it wont leave without you, your lorry will come off the train in exactly the same order it was loaded :stuck_out_tongue:

1 & 2 is normally easily cured with an ipod or from behind closed eyelids :wink:

What about going on the ■■■■ in the Irish or sports bar in Zaventem on a Saturday night?

Used to love my little weekend DHL jolly. Load LHR 10pm Friday - 4 hours kip waiting to get on the train. - Tipping in St Ouen in under 6 minutes - either getting into DHL truckwatch Zav around 9pm Sat (or 2pm if done on the naughty) then going out for a very good 4 course Chinese + beer for 8 Euro, then getting wasted with ‘Chico’ from RGF. - up 10am Sunday, little jolly back into Zaventem for a chicken off the rottiserie van and a baguette or a train into Brussels. Catch up with the Archers - reload back for LHR 9pm - bimble off home.
Happy days!

I think Euro work is what you make it. Laugh all the B.S off, smirk at how scummy some drivers can be, live in your happy little bubble and enjoy it…

I think Euro work is what you make it. Laugh all the B.S off, smirk at how scummy some drivers can be, live in your happy little bubble and enjoy it…
[/quote]
Here Here :slight_smile:

you must be the bloke i met on the boat.
Me “good morning”
you “errrrrr, grunt, errrr”
Me “oh, sorry, i thought you was English”. :laughing:

what a miserable sod you must be. :unamused:

1. didn’t make much sense to me, but whenever I was on the boat I’d grab a shower, grab a bite to eat then sit down with the free coffee reading a book (being on the boat was MY time, phone stayed on the vehicle deck)

2. Either question them and trip them up making them look stupid or ignore it and laugh inwardly at it all

3. Scabies isn’t contagious don’t worry about it

4. What’s the rush? I’d rather get there in one piece and alive rather than on the back of a wrecker

5. Go to the next garage or have a 15 / 20 minute break while you wait

6. Had no experience so can’t comment

7. Great on chips!

8. Better than nescafe

9. Could learn alot about solidarity from them

10. It’s only an hour of your life, I’d much rather run the corridor than drive from Calais to Reims, but hey, it’s a road, you must have known when you took the job you’d be expected to drive on a road at some point…

CHEER UP!!

Admit it Jim. You’re missing the Lynnster :cry: :cry:

heyhey, we should be more like the French, when is Neil back Jim? :stuck_out_tongue: He will be impressed!

limeyphil:
you must be the bloke i met on the boat.
Me “good morning”
you “errrrrr, grunt, errrr”
Me “oh, sorry, i thought you was English”. :laughing:

what a miserable sod you must be. :unamused:

That wasn’t him, it was me and you were wrong in thinking I was English. :wink:

Wheel Nut:
heyhey, we should be more like the French, when is Neil back Jim? :stuck_out_tongue: He will be impressed!

I’m here, well when I say here I mean in Dublin Port with Jim at the moment. :stuck_out_tongue: I haven’t been over to the mainland for months and I’m not missing it in the slightest. In fact partly due to the fact I am not missing it I am changing jobs next week and will be unlikely to ever go over again, apart from holidays or day trips. Good Times! :wink:

No 3
Could never get my head around why drivers do that ?
If i was first off the train, i made a point of sitting at the back of the bus and when it stopped at my truck, i would stay seated for a couple seconds. . just long enough for the “kin ■■■■ must be on the wrong bus” to start . . then jump off saying “gotcha”
Childish i know but it made me chuckle :slight_smile:

Too right about the French coffee,its called Seafredi or something like that,it is vile,and will clean your guts out,it does taste like Amazonian ditch water,and the same brand is used all over the country,must be a monopoly with the importer,the best coffee is Lavazza in all cafes and msa`s in Italy,i can sup 5 a day of those,if too tired,an expresso will suffice.
France is a very picturesque country,if you live there,they have the oceans for the beaches,the mountains for skiing,and hiking in the summer.
They dont need to leave,but some of them can be very rude and hostile,even when you are paying for a service or buying their products.
In the small towns and villages,time has stood still,with medieval walls and boundaries still intact,like Carcassone.
If you get stopped by the gendarmes,most of the time,i have no problems if you open the door while they speak to you,most speak english,their jaws drop,while i respond in fluent French,as i show off like that,and have a joke with them,same with the Douanes,normally it is a woman in charge of the team.

Suedehead:
No 3
If i was first off the train, i made a point of sitting at the back of the bus and when it stopped at my truck, i would stay seated for a couple seconds. . just long enough for the “kin [zb] must be on the wrong bus” to start . . then jump off saying “gotcha”

In all the hundreds of crossings inane made on the train, I wish i thought if that , however I have been known in the summer months to take a can of febreeze on and give the bus and the “clubcar” a good dowsing !
I also took on board a ■■■■ machine once and was laughed at by some drivers and scowled at by others so I can be a cheery person as well !

jimboy124:

Suedehead:
No 3
If i was first off the train, i made a point of sitting at the back of the bus and when it stopped at my truck, i would stay seated for a couple seconds. . just long enough for the “kin [zb] must be on the wrong bus” to start . . then jump off saying “gotcha”

In all the hundreds of crossings inane made on the train, I wish i thought if that , however I have been known in the summer months to take a can of febreeze on and give the bus and the “clubcar” a good dowsing !
I also took on board a ■■■■ machine once and was laughed at by some drivers and scowled at by others so I can be a cheery person as well !

On the subject of Le Shuttle.- substitute the “u” for an “i”.
The stampede to the front of the “clubcar” to be first in line for a Gourmet meal :confused: always made me laugh.
The first ones on,would always sit in an aisle seat with the “nobodys sitting next to me attitude”
Always preffered a window seat meself,better view of the scenery whilst going through the tunnel :laughing: Remember these ?

jimboy124:

Suedehead:
No 3

In all the hundreds of crossings inane made on the train, I wish i thought if that , however I have been known in the summer months to take a can of febreeze on and give the bus and the “clubcar” a good dowsing!

He does, I’ve been with him when he has done that.

Hang on, maybe it was because of me he took it on board with him. :imp: :smiling_imp: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Suedehead:
Remember these ?0

I do indeed, I’ve got one somewhere.

toby1234abc:
Too right about the French coffee,its called Seafredi or something like that,it is vile,and will clean your guts out,it does taste like Amazonian ditch water,and the same brand is used all over the country,must be a monopoly with the importer,the best coffee is Lavazza in all cafes and msa`s in Italy,i can sup 5 a day of those,if too tired,an expresso will suffice.
France is a very picturesque country,if you live there,they have the oceans for the beaches,the mountains for skiing,and hiking in the summer.
They dont need to leave,but some of them can be very rude and hostile,even when you are paying for a service or buying their products.
In the small towns and villages,time has stood still,with medieval walls and boundaries still intact,like Carcassone.
If you get stopped by the gendarmes,most of the time,i have no problems if you open the door while they speak to you,most speak english,their jaws drop,while i respond in fluent French,as i show off like that,and have a joke with them,same with the Douanes,normally it is a woman in charge of the team.

Totally agree. France is a beautiful country but it is wasted on the French :wink:

Coffeeholic:

Suedehead:
Remember these ?

Then youve probably got one of these
Was quids in.
His/ hers timex watches,Mountain bike.TGV horns . . . not as good as the Total points card in Belge though,could get Euros back on that.

scan0005.jpg

Suedehead:

Coffeeholic:

Suedehead:
Remember these ?1

Then youve probably got one of these

I’ve got one of those :smiling_imp:

Simon:

Suedehead:

Coffeeholic:

Suedehead: