Last euro trip.

Yup as stated above, I’m done. My last week coming up. I simply can’t make enough money at £6.80 per hr any more. It’s a sad day tbh but when I can earn more working uk only on mon-fri than I can on a fortnight away with a fridge it’s time to pack it in.

I think back about 3/4 years ago and myself and another member from here were on the contentin bound for Santander. The conversation was then about how long would we still do the job for the money etc. well he now pulls a tipper around the south of England and I’m giving up this week. This is basically two very experienced euro men that would rather do euro work, but it’s simply not viable anymore. I wonder how many other drivers have found themselves in the same position. A lot I suspect.
Anyhow just thought I’d share my thoughts with you lot.

£6.80 sounds low, is there not a better paying euro job out there?

Cold Up North:
£6.80 sounds low, is there not a better paying euro job out there?

Probably but not in my local area.

shame to read this mate, are you just going on UK with your lot or leaving them for good ?

pimmer73:
shame to read this mate, are you just going on UK with your lot or leaving them for good ?

Leaving for good mate. The money has really become a problem. I’m not the only one, loads looking for alternatives. I reckon he will lose at least half a dozen in the next few weeks.

turnip:

pimmer73:

Leaving for good mate. The money has really become a problem. I’m not the only one, loads looking for alternatives. I reckon he will lose at least half a dozen in the next few weeks.

whats the rate just decressed ?

years ago there was about 10 trampers who all handed notice in on langdons at same time to go to sparks we instanatly got £50 quid a week rise !!

hope you got something lined up ?

well done turnip, sad that you will be without hopefully for just a little while your obviously a good worker, but great that we still have people that will make a stand, their loss mate you will get somethin good luck

IIRC you are pulling for a Devon based outfit. I know money isn’t great down the southe west but I can see how it doesn’t pay on those rates.

I found myself in a similar situation over 10 years ago in that there was more money to be had UK tramping than the 3 weeks away I was doing at the time. It’s still the same down my way, if you can find a euro job that is, and unless your dead set on doing Europe and have no commitments it just isn’t worth it.

It’s a real shame because with the change in weekly rest regs. making home every second week the practical work pattern I could almost justify going back out but there would have to be some financial benefit in doing the weekend out and it’s just not there.

I’m sure a degree of it is the knowledge that euro work is thin on the ground and somebody will always take it because they want to be on the ferry.

Cheers
Neilf

neilf:
IIRC you are pulling for a Devon based outfit. I know money isn’t great down the southe west but I can see how it doesn’t pay on those rates.

I found myself in a similar situation over 10 years ago in that there was more money to be had UK tramping than the 3 weeks away I was doing at the time. It’s still the same down my way, if you can find a euro job that is, and unless your dead set on doing Europe and have no commitments it just isn’t worth it.

It’s a real shame because with the change in weekly rest regs. making home every second week the practical work pattern I could almost justify going back out but there would have to be some financial benefit in doing the weekend out and it’s just not there.

I’m sure a degree of it is the knowledge that euro work is thin on the ground and somebody will always take it because they want to be on the ferry.

Cheers
Neilf

Yeh that is the case I find. To be fair the job I’m leaving is a combination of factors. Euro work has become scarce because of an abattoir buyout ( long story ) and consequently the only euro work left is northern France which is low hrs ( flat 10 hr days at £6.80 per hr ) which is no good to me. I could stay on and do just uk work but the hrs are only marginally better.

My last two weeks pay packets were take home £363 & £424. Absolutely useless.

What about ray whites.

jessicas dad:
What about ray whites.

They are quite a way from me & I don’t think they are looking for drivers anyhow. But I’m sorted now so no worries.

turnip:

jessicas dad:
What about ray whites.

They are quite a way from me & I don’t think they are looking for drivers anyhow. But I’m sorted now so no worries.

Tbh what ive read on here you would be someone I would head hunt and create a space for.

jessicas dad:

turnip:

jessicas dad:
What about ray whites.

Tbh what ive read on here you would be someone I would head hunt and create a space for.

Very kind words. Thankyou.

Good luck with the new job turnip.

turnip:

jessicas dad:
What about ray whites.

If your new adventure doesn’t work out mate, give me a shout.

Pete.

Another euro brother leaving us :frowning: Don’t think our eastern european cousins have helped in all this…
All the best in your new job turnip, their loss i suppose !!
But your right to make your stand ! Even tho’ you love the job !

WhiteWhiteWhite:

turnip:

jessicas dad:
What about ray whites.

If your new adventure doesn’t work out mate, give me a shout.

Pete.

Thanks for that Pete.

gunnerheskey:
Another euro brother leaving us :frowning: Don’t think our eastern european cousins have helped in all this…
All the best in your new job turnip, their loss i suppose !!
But your right to make your stand ! Even tho’ you love the job !

Your right glenn, pictures like these don’t help.

I was talking to a lad down south yesterday who had re-registered in bulgaria, was using eastern labour and was still getting undercut…

theres no hope is there tuesday morning traveling from atherstone to the M1 at crick there was a warberers in every layby and im not kidding …good luck with the new job turnip