Lane Positioning

I was turning right into an industrial est where there was a filter lane, to make sure I could get around, if someone came up to the junction from the industrial estate, I straddled both lanes, after completing the turn some guy in the car that was behind started shouting and pointing to the filter lane…

Does anyone else do the same or was I in the wrong?

Bearing in mind I wouldn’t be able to get around if someone was stopped waiting to come out and rear swing would hit the following car!!

You did it right. Safety is the paramount thing, somebody adding 20 seconds to his journey isn’t.

Stephenjp:
turn some giy I the car that was behind s

yes mate, never trust your intuition and training/experience as a professional driver - always listen to the random impatient guy in the car instead

OP, totally 100% in the right. Unless the bloke in the car behind had a uniform and blue and red flashing lights and stripes in day-glo paint on the sides of the car.

Then you were only 66.7% correct.

When I learnt to drive trucks and buses, I’m pretty sure I was told that large vehicles can straddle both lanes when it’s necessary.
Doesn’t the highway code still say that ?

You take whatever road position you think you need to avoid problems & if it inconveniences other road users for 30 seconds it’s tuff luck & they have to wait

Bet the twerp would have shouted louder had he gone up the inside just as you turned and the rear overhang of your vehicle got tangled with his car ending up with you dragging him into the side road, i’d pay good money for a ringside seat for that event.

You take the room you need to make a maneuver, often it can be safer for everyone if you prevent impatient half wits from putting themselves in harms way by taking enough road they can’t do their worst.

Stephenjp:
I was turning right into an industrial est where there was a filter lane, to make sure I could get around, if someone came up to the junction from the industrial estate, I straddled both lanes, after completing the turn some guy in the car that was behind started shouting and pointing to the filter lane…

Does anyone else do the same or was I in the wrong?

Bearing in mind I wouldn’t be able to get around if someone was stopped waiting to come out and rear swing would hit the following car!!

Tell the zb to read the Highway Code regarding allowing space for large vehicles at junctions.

The trick is to totally ignore the berks that carry on like that.

I asked the same thing when I passed when I was 21yrs old, asked an old boy in the yard how do I make some off the junctions when moving the wide loads on the semi low with rear steer and he basically said if you leave enough room for a car they will drive into it. So always take up both lanes fully so they don’t even think for one second to get down the side of you. More a less don’t care about their feelings just get the load delivered without damage to it, street furniture or other cars.

His other tip was put more chains on then you think you need and then drive the lorry like you have none on the load, a wise man ha.

I had a simular situation a few months back. three lanes 2 for left and 1 for straight on or right. was turning left but it was tight with railings right on the edge of the road so i decided to split the lanes for ease and safty. had a bmw take umbridge to this and try come round with me (shame there was a traffic island in his way) loys of hooting and shouting. 100 yards along the road there was a postal van in the left lane so i stayed out in the second lane. yep you guessed it mr bmw tried to undertake i was prepaird to let him go but he backed off. he finaly managed to overtake me and pulled up in front of me telling me he had his wife and kids in the car and what did i think i was doing etc etc. I just pointed out to him that unfortunatly i was unable to get out the lorry and explain with close up detail of said events as fhier was cameras on the vehicle. he decided to disapear sharpish then.

1.5 miles down the road there is mr bmw waving his arms around at another lorry driver with the front end of his car missing

cooper1203:
I had a simular situation a few months back. three lanes 2 for left and 1 for straight on or right. was turning left but it was tight with railings right on the edge of the road so i decided to split the lanes for ease and safty. had a bmw take umbridge to this and try come round with me (shame there was a traffic island in his way) loys of hooting and shouting. 100 yards along the road there was a postal van in the left lane so i stayed out in the second lane. yep you guessed it mr bmw tried to undertake i was prepaird to let him go but he backed off. he finaly managed to overtake me and pulled up in front of me telling me he had his wife and kids in the car and what did i think i was doing etc etc. I just pointed out to him that unfortunatly i was unable to get out the lorry and explain with close up detail of said events as fhier was cameras on the vehicle. he decided to disapear sharpish then.

1.5 miles down the road there is mr bmw waving his arms around at another lorry driver with the front end of his car missing

Hope you gave him a little wave as you went past :grimacing:

drover:

[/quote]
I would’ve stopped to offer my feedback to the police, testifying about the aggressive manner of driving of mr BMW I’d witnessed earlier

ETS:

drover:

I would’ve stopped to offer my feedback to the police, testifying about the aggressive manner of driving of mr BMW I’d witnessed earlier
[/quote]
i stopped and gave my name and tel number to the other driver and explaind what had happened previously and that it would of all been captured on video

Thanks for the replies, I have had a few near misses with the tail swing and people racing up to the line!!! So looks as if I did the right thing!!

Highway Code states road users to give more time and space to large vehicles when turning! If u need too make em wait. Unfortunately they don’t understand it’s for their benefit as well. Be nice if all drivers spent a day in a truck, especially the Morons who buy high powered often German cars and think they are gods of tarmac!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boris1971:
Highway Code states road users to give more time and space to large vehicles when turning! If u need too make em wait. Unfortunately they don’t understand it’s for their benefit as well. Be nice if all drivers spent a day in a truck, especially the Morons who buy high powered often German cars and think they are gods of tarmac!

I agree and funny you should say that his car looked like a BMW X5!!!

Stephenjp:

Boris1971:

I agree and funny you should say that his car looked like a BMW X5!!!

DID look like a BMW X5 lol

I had one this week. I straddled both lanes to make a tight left turn into a 1 way street with double parked cars on it. I had a wally in a badly modified fiesta weaving at the back of me. As I mad my final move right to turn left he shot up the inside of me then stopped and gave me the fingers [emoji23]. I just laughed at him and it seemed to make him more angry.

Hiddo:
I had one this week. I straddled both lanes to make a tight left turn into a 1 way street with double parked cars on it. I had a wally in a badly modified fiesta weaving at the back of me. As I mad my final move right to turn left he shot up the inside of me then stopped and gave me the fingers [emoji23]. I just laughed at him and it seemed to make him more angry.

Bonus points for not straddling the left lane and only using the right lane for the left turn.