Lane Positioning

Hiddo:
I had one this week. I straddled both lanes to make a tight left turn into a 1 way street with double parked cars on it. I had a wally in a badly modified fiesta weaving at the back of me. As I mad my final move right to turn left he shot up the inside of me then stopped and gave me the fingers [emoji23]. I just laughed at him and it seemed to make him more angry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blowing them a kiss seems to calm them down :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The difference between you and the knob in the car is you are a professional driver.
If/when I get horn blasts off knobs in cars when Iā€™ve done nothing wrong, I just crack on safe in the knowledge that I know what Iā€™m doing and why Iā€™m doing it (as in your example) as Iā€™m an experienced pro driver,.and that he clearly doesnā€™t and isnā€™t. :bulb:
Thatā€™s about all there is to say about those type of situations.

Ah the horn blasters.
I do it slightly different, usually out the corner of your eye you can spot the annoyed noisy perisher (typically itā€™ll be someone hurtling around a roundabout** at speeds likely to push the tyres off the rims, not a hope in hell any lorry could clear the way, invariably they will have no idea about road positioning or the use of indicators), at the sound of the persistent horn stop and make a great show of looking all around for the vehicle/person that must be in imminent danger to cause such a racket.
During this visual appraisal you never make eye contact with the antagonist and after a while once youā€™ve established all is safe you give a shrug of your shoulders and resume normal progress.

** As an aside, if the highways designers stopped deliberately putting sight reducing foliage or fencing or whatever on sight lines around roundabouts etc half the problems we cause through the invariable slow pulling away would vanish altogether, because weā€™d be able to time our approaches better and keep rolling, welcome bonus of reducing braking fuel consumption lower emissions etc.
That would mean those who uses the roads for what they were intended for for years on end making sensible suggestions that would then be acted on, er no shut up J itā€™ll never catch on :unamused:

Juddian:
** As an aside, if the highways designers stopped deliberately putting sight reducing foliage or fencing or whatever on sight lines around roundabouts etc half the problems we cause through the invariable slow pulling away would vanish altogether, because weā€™d be able to time our approaches better and keep rolling, welcome bonus of reducing braking fuel consumption lower emissions etc.
That would mean those who uses the roads for what they were intended for for years on end making sensible suggestions that would then be acted on, er no shut up J itā€™ll never catch on :unamused:

They design expensive roundabouts because they say they are more efficient at keeping traffic moving than a junction.Then they remove vision and install traffic lights to stop the traffic thereby turning it back into a junction.

Whatā€™s next , did I stop ok at the traffic lights , I mean common surely weā€™re not at a stage where drivers have to ask did I turn right ok , itā€™s not exactly a tricky manoeuvre is it , itā€™s just the basics of driving
Actually itā€™s more worrying that 9/10 lorry drivers took the op seriously !!!

On the very first day of my class 1 training the trainer told me ā€œthe white lines are for the cars. HGVs use as much of the road as needed to get round safely. Better to split the lane than hit somethingā€. Yes you will still get driver of the ā€œGermanā€ cars squeezing down the side when they really donā€™t fit. And yes they will shout at you for blocking ā€œtheir laneā€. But this is why they often end up with the car wrapped round a lamppost a few miles up the road and why we get where we are going in one piece. I learnt very quickly that if you leave even the smallest space someone will try to use it. So if in doubt I split the lane. And as someone said previously, the Highway Code is very clear that drivers should give large vehicles plenty of room when turning. To answer the OP - yes you did right to use as much of the road as you needed to.