Lane markings

Does anyone else wonder why they paint lane markings on the tarmac on urban roads? If they’re under a queue of traffic you can’t see 'em.

Tone

You Creep along in the nearside lane towards the traffic lights the car in front pulls forward revealing left turn only marking then you look ahead to see lights on green for left turn but red for straight ahead oops

russell2587:
You Creep along in the nearside lane towards the traffic lights the car in front pulls forward revealing left turn only marking then you look ahead to see lights on green for left turn but red for straight ahead oops

Yeah. You’ve got it. And on roundabouts. You want to go straight on, but you find yourself in a left turn only lane trying to cut back into the lane going straight ahead. And of course, will anyone let you in?

It’s okay if you have local knowledge, but I reckon road-painted lane markings should be banned. Put a sign up! Makes much more sense.

Here’s another one. Why do rumble strips go right across the road? You don’t need to be warned that you are just leaving a speed limit or hazardous bend.

And a third. Why do they think square speed humps slow down the main offenders, who are white van drivers and motorcyclists.

Tone

If your a car driving numpty lane markings are there to be ignored :imp:

cos they look nice on paper :laughing:

canaldrifter:
Here’s another one. Why do rumble strips go right across the road? You don’t need to be warned that you are just leaving a speed limit or hazardous bend.

Agreed. Never been able to fathom that one out. Got some not far from my house.

And a third. Why do they think square speed humps slow down the main offenders, who are white van drivers and motorcyclists.

Tone

Feel sorry actually for car drivers who have to negotiate these on a regular basis. They wear tyres on the inner edge for fun. If I have to negotate them in a car I usually do 2 wheels off & 2 right over rather than trying to straddle.
The idea was to give ambulances a smooth passage - and you’d probably appreciate that if you were in the ambulance laid out.