lane discipline

has anyone else noticed how bad drivers are getting at using the correct lanes. I don’t just mean the middle lane hoggers on the motorways I mean the way that, anywhere there is a choice of 2 lanes everyone uses the right hand one. I was approaching a set of lights with 2 lanes marked for traffic going ahead, and one for right turn, every single car going straight on got in the middle lane! now normally I would just call them all idiots and go up the inside, but because of the road layout, there wasn’t enough room for me to squeeze past the car ahead of me… As a result of this lane hogging, only half the number of vehicles got across the lights as should have, i had to stop for another change of lights that really wasn’t neccessary.

It always makes me laugh when the BMW and Audi drivers in “the fast lane” are sitting still while I am cruising along Lane 1 at 30 mph with the rest of the trucks for several miles… must be a left brain/right brain thing :wink:

Got the opposite around here…

Many sets of lights widen out to two lanes on approach (enough room to fit 10+ cars in lane 2) but go to 1 lane when the other side of the lights (plenty of road space to merge) but 90+% queue in lane 1 so the same thing happens as above - less vehicles get through on a light change.

I do like driving through Leicester, it is one of the better places to drive in… :astonished: :astonished:

ROG:

Many sets of lights widen out to two lanes on approach (enough room to fit 10+ cars in lane 2) but go to 1 lane when the other side of the lights (plenty of road space to merge) but 90+% queue in lane 1 so the same thing happens as above - less vehicles get through on a light change.

like that in many town rog, i hate those road layouts as you get all the cars pulling into lane 2 with the intention of getting ahead of the hgv in lane one, despite it being a 40/30mph limit and the fact it then narrowns to one lane after the lights, they use it like a drag strip and there is always one that doesnt make it, nearly but not quite, ahhh bless my heard bleeds for them it really does when that happens :cry: :cry: NOT :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Harry Monk:
It always makes me laugh when the BMW and Audi drivers in “the fast lane” are sitting still while I am cruising along Lane 1 at 30 mph with the rest of the trucks for several miles… must be a left brain/right brain thing :wink:

It also makes me laugh when I see the way that the Germans can happily run at 150 mph + with two lanes while the Brits often can’t manage to run at more than 50 mph in the overtaking lanes of an 8 lane so called motorway.But the reason why no one with a (decent) Bee Em (M5 for instance) wants to sit behind you at 30 mph is because they have the forlorn hope that the idiot/s doing 50 mph in the overtaking lane/s will eventually move over. :unamused: :laughing:

It’s the fear of being the odd one out, the queue jumping zb that’ll get a slight advantage and p everyone off so they queue like sheep, how many times you see on the motorway lane 1 is near empty while lanes 2 and 3 are at a crawl, you dare try to use that empty lane then come up behind a slower vehicle and want to pull out? No one will let you in because you’ve gained an advantage and they haven’t :confused:

Cruise Control:
like that in many town rog, i hate those road layouts as you get all the cars pulling into lane 2 with the intention of getting ahead of the hgv in lane one, despite it being a 40/30mph limit and the fact it then narrowns to one lane after the lights, they use it like a drag strip and there is always one that doesnt make it, nearly but not quite, ahhh bless my heard bleeds for them it really does when that happens :cry: :cry: NOT :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I like it when they continue on the opposite side of the road still trying to force their way in, til they come up against a bollard or oncoming cars, little car trying to force the big truck over, ain’t gonna happen :laughing: :laughing:

IMHO, part of this problem lies within the Highway code itself where one paragraph says something like “do not weave in and out of the lane (to overtake?)” and another, longer, says “drive in the left lane… slow vehicles in the right lane only when overtaking…”.
Many people just take that short and easy to remember paragraph rather than the long and “complicated” one…

I do not know where the perception of “slow” and “fast” lanes in towns comes from, that’s beyond me…

Great example is the A14 between Alconbury and M11 where you often have really busy right lane doing 30mph and empty left lane… And coming from M6 onto A14, two lanes, give way, traffic lights, down to one lane with no merging space, two lanes…

ROG:

That’s might be because if you can choose between being 20th on the left lane and second on the right and you choose the right lane, just after the light turn green, the car in front of you will move forward 30 cms and then put his right indicator on… My pet hate!

i think i’m having problems with marked lanes on roundabouts , now i can’t be the only one following the road markings & lane arrows & still end up in the wrong lane or being cut up by another driver !
case in point is the new roundabout marknings at avonmouth when heading for the docks

MolePower:
i think i’m having problems with marked lanes on roundabouts , now i can’t be the only one following the road markings & lane arrows & still end up in the wrong lane …

Google street view of A50/A46 roundabout - I have set up the link to start the approach from the north on the A50 but could not get it to start in the right hand lane :blush:

Now try to turn right onto the A46 (west) but get the correct lane (only one) at the right point for the exit you want without making others think you are going elsewhere or cutting lanes to get the A46 (west) exit…

Satellite view of same roundabout :slight_smile:

ROG:

MolePower:
i think i’m having problems with marked lanes on roundabouts , now i can’t be the only one following the road markings & lane arrows & still end up in the wrong lane …

Google street view of A50/A46 roundabout - I have set up the link to start the approach from the north on the A50 but could not get it to start in the right hand lane :blush:

Now try to turn right onto the A46 (west) but get the correct lane (only one) at the right point for the exit you want without making others think you are going elsewhere or cutting lanes to get the A46 (west) exit…

Satellite view of same roundabout :slight_smile:

If you think that one is bad Rog you should try the Tolworth roundabout over the A3 underpass. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

what gets on my ■■■■ and in particular always happens at a particular junction on the A30 and A 308 near Staines is all the people in the lane marked for left turns only going straight on. which is dodgy becuause the stretch of road has two lanes to go straight on with three lines of traffic trying to go straight.

The Germans do not always run at 150mph, the speed limit in many parts is 80mph (130km)

However when they do have an accident, they are big ones as these 3 links show.

vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea … D=59973487

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8159096.stm

Strange thing I’ve noticed, is the way some LGVs seem attracted to the Right Hand Lane entering/on/around a big 2 lane Roundabout - thinking of M18/A1(M) doughnut as I write this.
When I was learning - about 35 years ago - one of the things that was impressed on me was that an Artic just doesn’t have the acceleration of a Ferrari. So consequently, when you approach a 2 lane roundabout - intending to turn right, and then have to stop in the Right (outside) lane, you will look like a total idiot trying to pull out across the traffic tearing round the circle.
The point of my ranting is that unless there are road markings specially marking a left filter lane at a multi lane roundabout, I reckon the best and safest course for any “heavy” traffic is to stick to the Left on the approach and stay in the leftmost lane around the doughnut. That also avoids another of the common problems, squashing some impatient car on your blind (nearside) when you eventually have to change lanes halfway round the doughnut.

I’m not sure if everyone will agree with me - comments anybody?

whitegold:

I agree with the addition of a good well timed and apropriate right signal

The highway code allows this as it says that large vehicles may take a different route for some hazards

Wheel Nut:
The Germans do not always run at 150mph, the speed limit in many parts is 80mph (130km)

But the topic in question is lane discipline not autobahn road accidents in which lane discipline or 150 mph running seems to have had nothing to do with the causes or any type of involvement by vehicles travelling at 150 mph +.But it seems to answer the safety argument that as usual those accidents seem to have more to do with slow running bunching probably on those limited stretches than ‘proper’ autobahn speeds where ‘proper’ lane discipline is used on the 50% or so of the unlimited parts left since the PC lot got the 130 kmh limit got put on the rest.

ROG:

whitegold:

I agree with the addition of a good well timed and apropriate right signal

The highway code allows this as it says that large vehicles may take a different route for some hazards

In that case we might as well make the same rule for all types of vehicle and make all roundabouts single lane follow the leader thereby solving most types of roundabout sideswipe accidents :question:

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

But the topic in question is lane discipline not autobahn road accidents in which lane discipline or 150 mph running seems to have had nothing to do with the causes or any type of involvement by vehicles travelling at 150 mph +.But it seems to answer the safety argument that as usual those accidents seem to have more to do with slow running bunching probably on those limited stretches than ‘proper’ autobahn speeds where ‘proper’ lane discipline is used on the 50% or so of the unlimited parts left since the PC lot got the 130 kmh limit got put on the rest.

Bugger me, Carryfast brings in a off topic topic of 150 mph BMW and superior Arian drivers, then complains when the topic is aired.

As for lane discipline, I believe Whitegold was trained in the same manner as myself albeit a couple of years earlier, as Rog pointed out, an HGV doesn’t necessarily need to follow the lane markings, indeed, some cannot fit within them.

One of the biggest problems now is a pair of trucks racing up to a roundabout and the one on the outside lane carving the other up as his trailer cuts in.

Wheel Nut:

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

Bugger me, Carryfast brings in a off topic topic of 150 mph BMW and superior Arian drivers, then complains when the topic is aired.

As for lane discipline, I believe Whitegold was trained in the same manner as myself albeit a couple of years earlier, as Rog pointed out, an HGV doesn’t necessarily need to follow the lane markings, indeed, some cannot fit within them.

One of the biggest problems now is a pair of trucks racing up to a roundabout and the one on the outside lane carving the other up as his trailer cuts in.

I know that many types of HGV’s won’t go round a roundabout within the lane markings in many cases because I’ve also driven enough of them and I learnt to hold back from trucks going through a roundabout long before then as a learner car driver but things have reached new depths if even truck drivers are putting themselves in a carve up situation by running into and through a roundabout side by side that’s the type of thing which you only used to expect from idiots who never drive them or drive with their brain in neutral :open_mouth:But I never said that those German drivers are always ‘superior’ and those Bee Em’s are only superior until they find something even quicker behind them and ‘sometimes’ driven by a British driver :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: but as a general rule it’s possible to use a four lane unlimited stretch of autobahn at a far higher speed more often than we could use an 8 lane stretch of motorway even if we took the limit off and it’s lane discipline which seems to be the key :question: .